Topic

Two new tents and two new packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two new tents and two new packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Lachlan B
    BPL Member

@lachlan24

Those tents look similar to scarps, to me.. although lighter and perhaps not so weather resistant

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Interesting!

Yeah they do look like scarps, but how do you mean they look less weather resistant? At the very least they are wind tunnel tested, so you know exactly what to expect from them.

I actually really like that wind tunnel test, it would be nice if that was an industry standard. Or if there was a 3rd parting testing standard.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

They look nice, but to me, the door is on the wrong side of the hoop, given that I tend to sleep on my right side (as heart is on the left), with back to closure and front to openness… so head would be on the left side of the photos when sleeping… so when I sit up, and swing my feet around to exit, damn it, have to pivot past 90°…

My thesis would be that most solo users of the DuoMid would sleep with head at their left as they enter (looking at the mid from outside from the front), and would tend to use the right-hand door (from the front view), which would be the left-hand door when sitting inside the mid looking out.

A similar argument applies for right-hand zips on sleeping bags.

Unless they are perhaps looking out the vent, or maybe sleeping in a vertical though highly shrunk position… where is Alice when you really need her?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

A plus, for me, is that the inner tent has solid fabric throughout plus a zippered netting door. This used to be the way tents came but it is difficult to find one these days.

To keep the peace my wife and I would require two doors if we shared the two person.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

As far as I know Robert Saunders (he died last year) was the first to sell a single traverse hoop tent.(early 70s)
    Jack Stephenson might have done that earlier but I never seen the single hoop version only the double from the late 60's.
    Eventually the design was improved (shorter footprint) by adding a corner strut on one or both sides.
    Many European brands but also some American ones have adopted that design.
    The TT Scarps are the only ones to have the two strut combination (PitchLock corner) giving tension to a wider area.
    I can lean with all my weight on one, don't do that with any other tent…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Nice looking solo, but under 34" inside head height won't do it for many Amis.
    The two person, though, with a meter's head height for well under a kilo, would be a real palace for one+.
    Wonder what they will cost?

Daryl Waycott
    BPL Member

@darylw

Has anybody any experience with these two Nordisk tents? They seem great, and I'm eager to buy one, but I haven't seen a single review of either one of them yet, so don't want to commit until then.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

They're using a 10d ripstop fly with a 2000mm HH waterproof rating. That could be a potential failure point considering how poor silnylon QC has been for the more common 30d fabrics.

Also 17.5 m/s is not that bad of a wind. Only 40mph. Even they called it "fresh gale". You can get that kind of wind anywhere, often that's typical conditions in treeless regions like the desert or alpine (or Oklahoma). Even though it didn't fly away at those moderate wind speeds the entire structure was nearly laid out flat. That's a great way to make a night miserable or to snap a pole if it becomes gusty. It was low enough that it didn't look much better than sleeping in a bivy sack…from the inside it'd be frightening at best.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Spotted some info a few days ago here

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/search.html

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

It's light, no doubt but (when compared to a Scarp 2) lacking the following:

1. no ridge vents
    2. no bottom venting at each end
    3. only one door & vestibule
    4. no optional crossing poles
    5. no optional netting body
    6. no side (main pole) venting option

I'll take my Scarp 2, even in an un-modded state.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> At the very least they are wind tunnel tested
    True, but the results were not what I would call encouraging. A bit shaky!

Cheers

cat in grass

@newman

> True, but the results were not what I would call encouraging. A bit shaky!

Yeah,
    excellent video to kill the brand …

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools