Topic

Warm downjacket for the “waiting time” (photographer)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warm downjacket for the “waiting time” (photographer)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

I got a response from Yeti now.

The Yeti Torre II contains (size L):
    1. The best Gold ( 860 cui ) down 325 gr.
    2. 700 cui – 360 gr.

Richard Nisley, what are the limits for this Jacket (not moving much, as stated in the earlier posts, photographing)?
    I'm not sure if it isn't too warm ..

Thanks a lot,
    Christoph

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

-10F for standing thermo neural temp during photography. As Rick stated the rating assumes shelter from the wind.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I think, this one might get rather warm, considering that -20 is the peak basically.
    In this case the Rab Neutrino Plus mentioned above might be a better option as it's in the middle.. and I could then add a middle layer down shirt or anything like that for the colder days..

However, the Neutrino Plus is quite heavy

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Many years of sitting motionless for hours in deer stands and duck blinds taught me that no clothing provides enough warmth if you are not moving. Sit still for 4 hours and you will be uncomfortably cold in almost any temperature unless you are way overdressed for it.

Insulated coveralls are nice below 45F

It also GREATLY depends on if you are in sun exposure or not. Night and day differenc.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi,

In my case I don't completely stand still all the time, as in deer stands etc, so it's not that crucial. I can move if I want, but if you just move in an area of some meters, waiting for a good shot, then it's getting cold quite fast.

I also think that I can improve shoes/trousers as well in addition.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I'm torn between the Yeti Torre II and the Rab Neutrino Plus right now.

Although they claim it's a good city jacket for could winter days, I think the torre is a bit too warm. I tend towards the Neutrino Plus

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Got the Rab Neutrino Plus in M and L now – but it's quite hard to decide which one to take.

Overall the quality is great, this will be a very convenient jacket for my purpose

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Probaly best to go with the one that has plenty of room for extra layers.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools