Topic

Thorofare pants & shirt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thorofare pants & shirt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Does anyone know when the Thorofare pants & shirt will be back in stock? Comments on these pieces. How about mosquito resistance?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They will never be back in stock. Store is closed.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Comment… poor breathability. I hated them.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I agree with Nick that I have experienced poor breathability with the thoroughfare shirt I own. It is one of the few shirts where I can actually feel the beads of sweat pop up and run down by back. The Pros are it looks nice and is lightweight.

I would suggest the following as better replacements

Shirt – GoLite Wildwood. Extremely comfortable, light, breathable and stretchy

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Wildwood-Trail-Longsleeve-Run-Top-P46936.aspx

Pants – Arcteryx Rampart. Durable, breathable, fast drying, comfortable.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?language=EN&gender=male&model=Rampart-Pant

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I agree with Nick that I have experienced poor breathability with the thoroughfare shirt I own. It is one of the few shirts where I can actually feel the beads of sweat pop up and run down by back. The Pros are it looks nice and is lightweight."

The first and only trip I wore these, was on a fairly warm day… probably around 85F. I was moving pretty fast for a couple of hours or more. My pack had a hip belt and the back of the shirt because a water container, as the hip belt sealed the back of the shirt. When I stopped for a short break, probably a cup or more of sweat gushed out of the shirt. I was in shock.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Ditto breathability (or lack there of). I kept mine for travel wear.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Pretty much any woven nylon fabric will be mosquito resistant (it's my first line of defense). They tend to be less breathable than knit hi-tech fabrics, but I think the Thorofare were more tightly woven than some, and had no flaps for air circulation, so they were particularly sweat-retaining. Depending on where you hike, breathability of the shirt/pants may or may not be an issue. I'm guessing it's not desert, if you're inquiring about mosquitoes.

If you need highly breathable stuff and mosquito protection, permethrin treatment might be the answer.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Thanks for the info & insights. I'm talking Sierras late July. Friends were same place & time & found lots of mosquitos & also heat. I've mostly gone later.

I've found knit fabrics don't resist Mosquitos very well. My understanding is that permethrin is an insecticide, not repellant? Does it actually keep mosquitos from biting you, or does it just kill them after they have already done so?

Now I'm thinking about Rail Riders. All this stuff is heavier than I'd like, but so it goes.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Perhaps something like the MH Canyon shirt which is a Nylon/Poly blend may provide the protection you need. I own one and have been generally pleased.

http://www.rei.com/product/827765/mountain-hardwear-canyon-shirt-mens

One thing to consider, mosquitoes are more active in the morning and evening. I would consider a more breathable shirt for the hotter part of the day (like my original suggestion of the GoLite Wildwood) and then slip on a windshirt for mosquito protection in those shoulder parts of the day when it's generally cooler and the additional warmth of the windshirt might be helpful anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools