Topic

REI Flash 45 – Another review – Lots of pictures

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Flash 45 – Another review – Lots of pictures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Dale suggested I do a review with some details and pictures. A few disclaimers here – This is my first pack I have owned since getting into UL backpacking. I also realize there are others much more qualified to write a review like this. So take this with a grain of salt.

My goals for a pack:
    – ~2 lbs.
    – 50-60 liters
    – it needs to actually fit
    – carry 25 lb loads, or up to 30 lbs for a short while if needed.
    – cost effective

I know there are other packs that could fit most of these categories, but honestly, for me the REI Flash 45 is the ONLY pack that fits all of these categories. Other packs were either too short in the torso, too big in the waist belt, or cost too much – all of which were dealbreakers for me.

First off, I packed it with pillows, sheets, and empty water bottles. I realize this isn't ideal, but the wife insists on not pulling out all of my gear tonight.

The pack is designed well. The features are not over-the-top, but also not minimal. I won't list the details of the pack here since they are listed online, but I will highlight a few design features that I think are helpful to know about. I know some might not like the bright detailing, but I like it. Not only that, but it feels solid. I have no reservations about the materials. Of course, if you go bushwhacking, the mesh on the outside panel could potentially tear…but that's not a negative IMO, because this pack isn't made for that.

From the front – I have a bed sheet rolled up to show how a shelter or rain gear might fit into the front mesh pocket. Rolling your gear might be a better option that just stuffing it. The pocket holds things fairly well, but the open design makes it a little more susceptible to gear shifting around…but not much. The pocket is continuous from the sides, to the front. This gives you more room, but like I said, can make it a little easier for gear to shift around.
    Flash 45 Full Front

From the back – The mesh feels solid, and the foam backpanel feels solid as well. More details to come with suspension.
    Flash 45 Full

The foam in the backpanel is double-layered. It seems like it would breathe well. Not quite as well as an Osprey Exos, but well enough (just a guess).
    Flash 45 Backpanel

From the side – the mesh panel, which I do love, is deep/wide enough to fit a 1L nalgene, or two smaller ones. It shouldn't have any problems keeping any bottle secure. I do wish it had another compression strap underneath the mesh pocket, like the Osprey Exos packs.
    Flash 45 Side 1

On to some suspension details.

The load lifter straps are excellent! The buckle in the middle lets you adjust the angle of the strap to optimize the lift. This is perfect for getting a custom fit. Not sure if other packs have this feature, but I have not seen it before.
    Flash 45 Load Lifters

The webbing on the belt is floating, and not secured 100% to the padding. There is a sliding buckle underneath the pocket that helps it distribute the load between the padding and the frame of the pack. In the picture, you can see two sets of webbing. The buckle is hidden, but I pulled it out to show this design. The bottom webbing runs from the wire frame to the padding, and the top webbing runs from the sliding buckle to the main buckle. So when you tighten it up, the sliding buckle pulls on the second set of webbing, which then transfers the load effectively to the frame of the pack. Both the waist belt and the frame get pulled toward your hips. This result could also be achieved by securing the frame directly to the hip belt. Yet the way they have done it here seems to remove the need for waist belt stabilizers.
    Flash 45 Belt Pulled Out

You can see where the belt webbing is secured to the pack. That's the pocket where the wire frame sits.
    Flash 45 Belt Wire Attachment

THIS is where I am probably the most excited. I am showing you the size large Flash 45. This is the belt tightened to it's absolute limit, and I measured it to be ~24". It's listed as fitting waists from 34" and more. My waist is 31". I think what allows this is the previously mentioned belt webbing attachment system. While most packs attach the webbing to the belt padding, this system allows the buckle to slide over the padding a little further. It really does seem that the only thing keeping the belt from tightening even more is the fact that the hole that the webbing comes out of is slightly too small for the buckle to pull through. My guess is this was a very intentional design.
    Flash 45 Waist Belt Tightened

And lastly, while you can remove the lid, the closure on top is messy and leaves too much of an opening. The lid weighs ~100g, so I think it's worth it to keep it. A few ounces isn't going to make or break your trip. Plus, the extra storage is worth it for rain gear and other small items that are best kept separate.
    Flash 45 Lid Removed

Well, that's a lot. Let me know if you have any questions about anything I did or didn't cover. This is a great pack, and there are only two things I would change: a lower compression strap under the side pocket and a roll-top closure.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Tyler,
    Have you found any problems getting water bottles in and out of the mesh water bottle side pockets when the pack is filled to capacity? Say, 32oz gatorade bottles or 1L SmartWater bottles?

I'd also be interested to hear what you think the max comfortable carrying capacity of this pack is once you get some more use out of it. Thanks for posting all the pics of this pack, pictures really do help :)!

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

There's no problems getting the water bottles in and out when the pack is full. Unlike older Flash designs.

One caveat with this pack is it really doesn't compress down well. If you have it only half full it flops around a lot.

Uncertain about max carry comfort yet.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Tyler,

Nice review especially since this is your first.

BPL has a reader gear review forum. You might want to post this review there as that forum will have a wider audience searching for just this sort of review.

Great job. Let's see more like it.

Rodney

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Tyler,

How have you got on with the Flash 45? I used mine for the first time a couple of weeks back and I am well impressed with it

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

>"One caveat with this pack is it really doesn't compress down well. If you have it only half full it flops around a lot."

I just let my sleeping bag and clothing expand to fill the void. That works pretty well for me when backpacking. When day hiking I prefer a smaller pack.

I used my Flash 45 on a 10 day 150 mile trip in the Sierras recently and it worked out very well. I really like this little pack. It fits all my gear including my bear canister. I use my BV450 with it. My Garcia fits, but I have to pack really carefully to fit the rest of my stuff in if I use the big canister. That is more food than I like to carry any way though. I figure I can go about 5 days with the BV450 so I try to limit my time between restock to that.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Pete,

How did you find the load carrying?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Stephen. Your wife will certainly kill you. But +1 on your question.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Ken,

It was bought on my dividend ;-)

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I just let my sleeping bag and clothing expand to fill the void. That works pretty well for me when backpacking. When day hiking I prefer a smaller pack.
    Certainly a good solution, but I was recently given the opportunity to slackpack a particularly hard day and I couldn't resist.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools