Topic

Picking up a Hot Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Picking up a Hot Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm having a hard time dealing with the heat conductivity on Titanium. I had a small idea that I could cook a meal in my 750ml pot and then eat out of it, but I can't pick up the thing. The handles get really hot, glove-melting hot, and the sides get worse.

I'm looking to solve this one of two ways: I know pot cozies exist, but having never used one, I can't tell if they're for keeping food warm or for allowing you to hold a hot pot. Second, I considered wrapping my handles in tape, but I don't know what kind of tape to use that wouldn't melt during cooking.

What do you guys use to pick up hot pots without adding too much weight?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Various silicone treatments that can handle high heat or a thin UL silicone hot pad sold at cooking supply stores

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

I second Steven on the silicone hot mat from housewares, just trim it down. Also, the little silicone grippers that look like conjoined thimbles.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I remove the handles from all of my pots and use my wool glove liners or a bandana as my pot holder.

I only boil water in my pot but yes a 1-2 oz pot cozy helps tremendously in keeping your food warm and maximizing your fuel efficiency. I just bring my water to near boiling temperatures, add it to my pasta or whatever (in a freezer bag,) and then leave it in my cozy for as long as needed. Seems to lose about 1* per minute but I haven't done extensive studies on my cozy's performance yet.

From a weight penalty perspective, the cozy pays for itself in fuel efficency.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

If the handles can easily be removed, find some silicone tubing to slide over them. A quick spray of WD-40 will help thread the silicone. I do this with all my pots, including my MSR Titan kettle (which I think you also use).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I made a lid for my Snow Peak 600 out of a thin silicone baking sheet. I cut it right to size so there's no overhang to burn. It has a little nylon cord handle.

This doubles as a gripper for the pot handles. Be warned that the silicone gets pretty hot, but upon removing it as a lid, it will cool off in a few seconds.

Here's the thread :

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35377

Jan S

@karl-ton

Separate handles also work well and you have a bit more time before your fingers burn while you eat out of your pot. I like the Trangia ones, but then a Trangia was my first cookset/stove. I think almost every company makes some ranging from not so light to very light, with silicone grips and without.

A W

@lost_01

Max,

Since noone mentioned it yet, to clarify:
    You can get a cozy for your pot or you can get a cozy for your bag. Whichever one you will be cooking in.

(http://www.trailcooking.com/store/cozies-and-accessories)

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of the silicone grippers AND the pot cozy, but I will probably just opt for the grippers. I don't mind if my food loses heat- it's still food.

I have the Toaks 750ML pot, which looks to be a copy of the Stoic 700ml pot. I was originally going with the Titan kettle, but the shipping from Amazon was going to take weeks (not pleased!). I saved some money with the Toaks pot.

Silicone electrical tape wound around the handles- anyone use this to success?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I myself like carbon felt: lightweight and a great insulator. Cut out a small round disk and you can use it as a pot holder.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I have those orange silicone things that you stick three fingers in. With a handleless Trangia frying pan, you still have to set the pan down quickly otherwise it gets hot. Kinda disappointed in them but they will work when grabbing an edge. I believe I got them from Fast and Light.
    Duane

Tommy Thompson
    BPL Member

@wasser

Locale: Northern CA

I did what Gary mentioned to my Titan Kettle.

I used this silicone tubing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMYW4I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and it worked out great.

I just use my pot for boiling water. I tried using a DIY reflectix pot cozy on my pot and actually cooking with it, but didn't care for it. However, I use a cozy on my plastic food bowl with lid and it works great.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Silk Bandana. I already carry it, so no extra weight. Has a multitude of uses besides potholder, especially since it's 3'x3'.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools