Topic

2 Part Q Re: REI Flash Sleeping Bag–25 oz/Osprey Hornet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 Part Q Re: REI Flash Sleeping Bag–25 oz/Osprey Hornet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Looking at various ways not to spend a small fortune but lighten up, especially after getting an Exos 58 and Kilo 1P a year or two ago. At any rate, it looks like REI has a new bag that's about 25 oz. I checked it out at the store the other day and it looks pretty cool, if not a bit gimmicky. I figure with REI's discount, it could be gotten at a pretty decent price, though I recognize there are lighter and more expensive options out there. Any thoughts out there on this bag? Would it be better to just spend a "few" extra bucks and go with Marmot (been using the heavier Helium–awesome bag!–for five years or so) or Western Mountaineering?

Also, for those of you who use an Osprey Hornet, how difficult is it to fit a bear canister in it? Looking at this as an option too.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I have one of the prototype Hornet packs, which were 42 L., not 46 L. The width and depth seem about the same as the 46 L. production model, but mine is a few inches shorter. My large Bear Vault will only fit in vertically, which takes up a lot of space. The smaller model BV will fit in sideways, which allows decent room for the rest of your gear (but not a lot).

I did several mods to my Hornet, trying to get it to have a decent carry for 20#. Nothing really worked, and it's been demoted to be used only as a day pack. If you are thinking about the Hornet, be sure to load it up in the store and walk around for 1/2 hour. For me (and many other testers), the torso length didn't work at all, and the thin padding of the shoulder straps and hip belts were a joke. It's pretty light though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do you know what canister you will be using? I too had a prototype. I would only carry a Bareboxer Contender in one. Not much room to spare with a larger( Weekender, Garcia, etc..)canister.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

I use a Weekender. In terms of pack weight, which I've steadily been trying to decrease, it's the one purchase I've made in the last 5 years that I can say I had my head completely straight on for.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I currently own and use a Hornet 46 and love it. But as mentioned above its actually about a size smaller than the stated sizes. I am 5'8 and 120 #
    And the small is fitting nice but my 11 year old can fit as well so go big.

Secondly the smaller BV will fit but you will have limited space left over. If you are not bear canning its a great multi night pack.

Padding is sparse but under 20# and your good.

It is also flexible as day pack since it weighs a 11/2. I have kids s it gives me plenty of space for day hikes.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

My personal advice is use the Osprey Exos 58 with the bear canister, the extra weight will be worth it. I carried a bear canister once in a Golite Jam2 and it was okay but not great (with only a weekend load). I'm pretty sure a pack with a frame would have been more comfortable even if it was heavier. I'd only buy a frameless pack like the Hornet if you will be doing trips without a bear canister.

That bag may be one of the better deals on mummy bags but is that what you want? Tim Marshell makes some pretty cheap quilts and sometimes you see good deals here for quilts.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Sounds like I'm better off sticking to what I have when it comes to carrying a canister. Or, since I'm not thrilled with the whole suspension thing on the Exos, maybe saving a few ounces and going with a Granite Gear Crown VC 60 or something. Ah, decisions, decisions . . .

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Since no one answered your sleeping bag question I thought I'd give it a go.

Save your money. The price of the flash is nice and it does seem to have quality down but mixing synthetic and down in one piece of gearis bad in my opinion. In the short term it does provide a lot versatility but synthetic insulation wears out much faster than down so in a couple of years the synthetic bottom will be flat and less insulating (without reducing the inherent weight penalty of synths) while the down half will still have a decade or more of use left in it.

Save your money and get a high quality all down bag (or an all synth quilt from the cottage manufacturers). You can also frequently find good deals on lightly used gear sold that's been returned to Backcountry.com by browsing geartrade.com (as well as BPLs gear swap forum).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools