Topic

Great Finds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

this is the coin I found.
    Could be 1 year old or 1000,
    does not matter.

old coin

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Shawn; soldiers have a tendency to joke and complain about everything. When I was in a leadership position, I only worried when a soldier STOPPED complaining and joking; that was a warning sign.

My favorite line from 13th Warrior(Im fairly certain..) is the exchange: "This sword is heavy!" which gets the curt reply "..grow stronger."

Stephen Eggleston

@happycamper

Locale: South Bayish

OK, to go with Sarah's gross out find…

I was in Yosemite and while hiking to Victoria Falls(i think I got the name right) I found a big pile of steaming human crap in the MIDDLE of the trail. Wow, they didn't even try for the side of the trail! Yes, I left it there!

Kim Grant

@kimberlymae

Best backpacking gift was water. There is filterable water at the the top of Mt. Timpanogos (Salt Lake City). There's a pond up there fed by permafrost. I carried 8 liters (drank 4 en route) and was very happy to learn there was "extra" water for dinner, washing up, and refilling for the trek down.

Second was 2.5 gallon jug that I had stashed in a tree at a camp site. I left it as a "gift" for the next person to use the site as a base camp. Six months later, the same jug was nice and secure where I'd left it, along with the firewood we didn't burn. It was a surprising 10F hotter than we'd planned, and we drank every last drop of the extra water (4 day stay).

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Contents of an individuals pack stewn 800 feet down talus and cliff, they found the owner a month later.

One suicide victim.

Boy scout with mangled leg half buried in talus, he was alive.

Very, very old bison skull.

Leg hold trap, with bones, at the bottom of a mtn lion den.

About 40 flint and obsidian knives and points.

#30 conibear trap under a cut stream bank, I reached into it while attempting to tickle fish.

6 moose horn sheds on one 200 yd stretch of trail.

1 set of hunter orange horse panniers, torn to pieces. There were reins tied to a tree about 15 feet away that had been cut, looked like it was one hell of a rodeo.

1 four wheeler about 1 mile off the designated trail, they had a hard time getting it out.

Very accurate 100 year old map carved in aspen tree, the hotel/brothel wasn't standing any more, but the fishing was good.

Some other individuals have found a grey wool beenie, a red pyramid tent, and 2 pairs of sun glasses, I hope they are getting good use.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I found an old book written in Hebrew while hiking in the "jungle" in Hawaii. I collect old books and manuscripts, so I was pretty stoked.book

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Ryan,

Considering your hobby, that is really cool find! I'm not sure if I have much to add to this thread. I suppose I found a nice Under Armour shirt a few years ago and an mp3 player and cell phone this summer.

– Sam

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I gotta get out more to compete with you guys! My list pales in comparison.

I found:
    a lexan mug in Haleakala Crater, HI.
    a pure white chalcedony paleo-indian scraper in the Grand Canyon.
    other assorted paleo-indian tools in Canyonlands (I used to study anthropology).
    TONS of rocks, fossils and crystals everywhere (I'm a geologist by training) which I don't keep or I would have a U-Haul full.
    Half a 1/5 of whiskey (YAY!) on the AT in NY.
    Lots of trash

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

who ever droped it didn't want to climb down and pick it up. its a brand new black diamond raven, i think. also,at the peak of "suprise mt", a single marble sitting on a rock, its now my favorite aggie.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I found this ski last weekend. A sweet Dynastar. It was at about 5000 feet below Mount Hinman in the Necklace Valley in Washington. It was at the base of the talus slope in the back, to the side of the snow field on the left. We hauled it out…but I'm sure that the owner was REALLY BUMMED to lose it when spring skiing.

Anyone need one Dynastar with a broken binding?

dfsdfwewww

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools