Topic

Local Wally World carrying Mountain House

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Local Wally World carrying Mountain House

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I was looking for a dry bag at the last minute and was checking out the Wally World offereings – and was surprised to see our local store carrying at least 8-12 Mountain House meals – chili mac, stroganoff, eggs, etc… some of the common ones. Prices looked to be a buck or so at least less than Dick's or REI. I'm not sure if it's a pilot to see if they sell but worth mentioning.

They also had a few new outdoor products pieces – a $19 coffee press that looked interesting albeit not very lightweight (can't find an image of it anywhere on the web) – but it was smaller than my behemoth REI press mug. I'm still on the fence over Starbucks VIA or taking the weight penalty…

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Both of the Walmarts near us carry Mountain House and I was just there yesterday to find a selection like you describe. Most were $5.88 each. When they're out of stock, they're out, but what a great place to save a buck or two.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's been going on for some time, Mountain House sold at Walmart, more than a year in my area.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I've seen MH at Walmart's for at least the last several years–maybe 5? Even when I lived in East Texas, our local Walmart's had them and there weren't any real mountains or significant hiking opportunities within at least 2-3 hours. That was in either 2009 and 2010.

Kat Pink
    Spectator

@katpink

Locale: Midwest

Wow you're lucky. All of the walmarts around me stopped selling Mountain House meals over a year ago. They carry the Coleman meals instead. Haven't tried any of the coleman versions.
    I hope this is a sign that they are bringing the MH back.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"All of the walmarts around me stopped selling Mountain House meals over a year ago."

Yes, the meals on the walmart shelves here are the ones that they pulled off the shelves at your store a year ago.

–B.G.–

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

http://beprepared.com/

http://www.nitro-pak.com/

I use the sites above – subscribe to their emails for discounts.

Also, do the math on a pouch vs #10 can – sometimes the pouch is less expensive.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I noticed that mine was carrying the MH meals again too after carrying the Colemans for the last year or so.

I actually think that sucks. The Coleman meals were even about $1 or so less than the MH and are actually VERY good. I have several of them. To me they tasted better, rehydrated better and were more filling than the MH meals. I'd gladly take the Colemans again. I'll admit that I was pleasantly surprised seeing that I hadn't ever considered Coleman to produce quality food.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

+1 on Coleman meals. The ones I tried were excellent. They are still being carried by my local Wally World

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

are rebranded Enertia meals.

http://trailfoods.com/

Kat Pink
    Spectator

@katpink

Guess I should pick up a pack of the Coleman meals to try. Never realized that they might actually be tasty LoL!

Paul Mason

@dextersp1

Mac & cheese

http://trailfoods.com/max_patch_mac_and_cheese.html

113 grams of coleman give you 14 grams of protein and 69% of daily sodium

http://beprepared.com/mountain-house-macaroni-cheese-2-person.html
    128 grams of MH give you 28 grams of protein and 52% of daily sodium

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

If you do I'd recommend the following:

Glacier Garlic Noodles – this one is by far my favorite. I even break it out when I'm home.
    San Juan Stroganoff
    Cheesy Tomato Pasta
    Mac Patch Mac and Cheese

There are some others on there I've never tried but look pretty good. The Teton Teriyaki I remember being very salty and took a long time to rehydrate. Allegheny Alfredo Noodles were OK, nothing to write home about. Cilantro rice was also hard to rehydrate, especially the beans and had LOT of lime flavor

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Enertia trail meals were added to the Jacks 'R' Better web site late last Fall. For those already ordering quilts, hammocks or other gear from JRB, simply add any meals you might want/need, saves gas or shipping.

Pan

Eric Johnson
    BPL Member

@unimog

Locale: Utah

Our local Winco stores (Utah) carry MH meals even cheaper than Walmart. They carry a slightly different and more variety also. Between the two, I can usually get what I need. After that, Emergency Essentials carries the full line, whether in cans or pouches.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

They've had them for awhile with 12 grams of fiber per serving (see tp thread) but there is some local differences in availability.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

MH meals are about $7. 10% discount for ordering a dozen at a time; another 10% member rebate and 5% for using the card. Comes to about $5.50. I don't think I've ever seen cheaper… But I'd like to if anybody has!

John Ebner

@jebner

Locale: Big Thicket

alssports.com has a pretty good sale going on. Use code "likeus" for an extra 10% off the sale price. Most meals come to about $5.00 a package.

http://www.alssports.com/mountain-house/Search

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just bought a box of 10 assorted MH meals for $44 at my local (Seattle) Costco. REI had them for $7.50 a meal. You would think they were made by Wolfgang Puck for that price.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

The Costco box is a great deal. For those who choose to look for it, it's not generally stocked with the outdoor gear, but over in the dehydrated foods section where you can find the hash browns, etc…

Kat Pink
    Spectator

@katpink

Well, I made it out to wal-mart to pick up a package of Coleman brand meals to try but apparently I'm too late. All of the Coleman foods have been replaced by Mountain House. Sort of bittersweet. I'm glad MH is back on the shelves but I missed out on trying the Coleman. Oh well.

On a different note while there I noticed that Outdoor Products came out with a 1 liter platypus style of canteen/bladder with the push pull cap. They might have been around for a while but I just noticed it. At a little over $2.00 I decided to pick one up just for the heck of it. After I got it home I took off the caribeener that came with it and weighed it. It came out to just over an oz. Not too shabby. Going to keep using my platypus bags because I have them but the Outdoor Products version seem to be a viable contender.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I saw those OP platypus style 1L bottles as well – didn't pick one up but will have to keep it in mind since I have none of those style and could use one or two.

I also saw a new OP coffee press. It's a nice little size and cheaper than the GSI javapress – interesting design as well with an outer cup and an inner sleeve with the mesh screen at the bottom. It's compact but the inner sleeve design and overall steel construction make it, well, not particularly lightweight.

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Costco has the case here in San Diego as well. And the carbon fiber trekking poles for $25. Nice prices!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools