Topic

Kids caloric intake?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Kids caloric intake?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Ok earlier in the week I got lots of great ideas for food stuffs for my kids.
    We are going on a 4 day trip with forecasted temps- nights 35 day 65/75. Hoping for 5-7 miles a day maybe more. Depends on my 41/2 year olds wheels. Right now they are caring about 10-12 percent of body weight.

I have planned out 1400-1550 calories per day with dally weight of food 13 oz.
    20 g pro
    High carbs
    Higher than average fat , at least a bit more than they normally get.

Is 1400 or so enough per day

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Even if he bonked hours ago my son wouldn't touch 90% of things offered. 1400 calories is probably more than a 4 year old needs per day on such a short trip, but you might need to carry 3000 calories of various options just to get 1000 into him.

I'm guessing that about 20-25 calories per pound of body weight would be a good goal.

Bring what the kids like at home. Junk food is better than no food. Keep the candy or treats hidden as a bribe. I had my 6 & 8 year old marching double time for the last mile of an 8 mile day in a contest to see who would get the last jelly bean for the trip. (I had a whole bag left).

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I would like to add to Jim W's comments. I agree 100% PLUS, feed your kids first. What happens to me all of the time is that I will make my girls something to eat. A lot of times, they are not that interested and I make them something else just to get them to eat. Then we are left with extra cooked food, so being a dad (and therefore the human garbage disposal), I eat what they don't finish. That and two of them are now vegetarians: makes life tough for this carnivore! This is the price we gladly pay to get our kids to go backpacking with us. Oh and BTW, the meal that they loved on the last trip (or even yesterday) may disgust them today. And, one day they might eat 800 calories and the next 4000. Bring extra food and snacks. Jon

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Feed first +100

Always. always. feed the kids first. Have something to give them, to quell the hunger.

Think simple foods, especially with younger hikers. Don't over think it. They still have small stomachs at 4. They are grazers more than anything. A cheese stick here, a granola bar, some fruit snacks, a tortilla with fillings. Feed them similar as you do at home. Don't try new foods on them!

And more so…if you can, have a drink and snack waiting at the car for after. And take them out to eat after hiking…even if for ice cream.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

BTW, we had another "trick" that we use to use. While hiking the Grand Canyon (particularly when going uphill), we would give them a snack every 3 or 4 switchbacks. The kids were supposed to count the switchbacks and let us know when we got to the right stop. We brought dried fruit, chocolate, gummy bears, whatever. This would allow them to catch their breaths, drink some water and be motivated for the next series of switchbacks. Good Luck – Jon.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Thanks for ideas.

I actually took them shopping and spent a fair amount but they will have their own snacks breakfast and lunch choices.
    I also took some silnylon and made a "feed bag" so to speak so that they can eat easily with out stopping.
    It basically attaches to the chest strap and they reach in for goodies.

And I figured out with the 4 year old that the pack 3000 to get 1000 not her was fairly accurate from day hikes.

Thanks again!

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Nice trick on the switchback treats, Jon!

Have fun on your trip Kevin. Last year I took my 7 year old out on his first b'packing trip. 2 nighs, 3 days. I was shocked at how much he ate. I took a whole extra day's worth of food just in case, and by the time we got back to the car on day 3 everything was gone (he was even scarfing some foods he normally didn't go for). Nothing like being super active and then hungry in the mountains.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools