Topic

2012 Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2012 Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Has anyone had experience with Ron Moak's redesigned 2012 Lunar Solo? I had an earlier version and loved the simplicity and side entry but did not like the low profile at both ends. However, he has raised the height by three inches, raised the tub and increased the length. He also made the walls steeper that may make the tent easier to set up and tension. Also, at $200, it seems like a very good deal…if the redesign truly does improve some of the issues of previous versions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

$200
    23 oz
    26 square feet of floor space
    8.5 square foot vestibule

Looks like a good option, not sure why it isn't mentioned more. Maybe I will have to try one. Wonder how hard it is to get a good taut pitch?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John:

How hard to get a good taut pitch? Almost never a taut pitch on the first try. But after a few practices… it's fast and intuitive and actually difficult to not get a good, taut pitch! I used to own one and really liked it. All staked down, the Lunar Solo can take a lot of wind blowing from pretty much any direction. I prefer this configuration over the longish style tarptents where you need to point the toe end toward the wind.

I later switched out of the Lunar only because I crave space and got a palace with two doors and two vestibules for solo use — of course, paying a weight penalty as well. But for most UL hikers, the Lunar Solo really is plenty spacious.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Thanks, Ben. You may have convinced me to buy another tent!

Casey Jones
    BPL Member

@cjsbug

Ben, I'm curious what you switched to. Trying to hone in on a first shelter puchase. Lunar is on my short list.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

@ Ben. Was yours a 2012 model?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No. It was an early model — 2004. Comparing that to the current model, the Lunar is now taller and longer — excellent. The current model also boasts a top vent and bathtub floor — both of which were absent back in 2004. Ron prevented weight creep — and even shaved off an ounce — by reducing the max. width — which seems just fine with me. And the prices compare most favorably.

……………………………………………………………2012……………2004

Floor length……………………………………………..90"……………. 84"
    Floor width at either end……………………………36" (?)………. 36"
    Max floor width………………………………………..48"………………54"
    Apex height……………………………………………..48"………………44"
    Weight…..l…………………………………………….23 oz …………….24" oz
    Price…………………………………………………….$200……………..$225

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools