Topic

“New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

No wonder they're discontinuing Hydropel…

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@ Travis, who wrote, "Just slept with Sawyer's CEO. I know everything.".

Is your avatar really saying Gay Tweet Again ?? Something is wrong with you, Travis. Something is very wrong with you! :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

no no no, it "Say Tweet again!"

(Pulp Fiction–great movie)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It's a new filter than pumps 10% faster and weighs 50% more.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I hear Sawyer has been working with Ray Jardine to develop Ray-2-O(TM), an all-organic water product that can be made at home with Ray's kit for only $149.

Originally created to hydrate Ray's "Way of Life(TM)" grains, Ray-2-O(TM) has been trail tested over thousands of miles and proven to be both healthier and more cost-effective than standard water. Cut out the middle man!

Combined with Ray Sleep(TM), Ray Walking(TM), and other Ray Way(TM) gear kits, Ray-2-O(TM) had been clinically shown to increase daily mileages, decrease fatigue, and reduce dependency on major name-brand retailers and manufacturers. And perhaps most importantly, it has been proven effective at making Ray and his wife enough cold, hard cash to undertake their next adventure: circumnavigating the globe in a homemade hot air balloon fueled by Ray Potatoes(TM…Coming soon).

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Craig, F'ing brilliant.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Maybe the channeled Lint's magic wand jedi technique seen here

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1821

(skip to 1:50)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Pray God it is "instant beer". Say as many Hail Marys as you see fit.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I know, I know!! They're coming out with a purifier where hikers only need field hydration first thing in the morning — and then the system will purify and turn output back into input (to put it delicately) — no more need to obtain additional water (unless you want to) all through the day and into the next! There.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Think it's possible to shrink the current Sawyer Squeeze to a cap-size? Maybe it's that?

Sorry if I shattered the stream of jokes. Wait, not sorry… ;D

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It is hiking staff that will make water come from rocks and has multiple use features to part oceans and bring a series of plagues to other campers who annoy you.

Moses

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Intravenous Kidney Filter?

Save weight by using your own kidneys* instead of a separate, artificial filter. Includes optional, portable mini-dialysis machines for use in industrial areas.

*kidneys not included

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

This was on their website this morning and touted as "Our Newest Product". ;-?

http://www.sawyer.com/video-squeeze.html

$59.99 from Sawyer's online store.

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/more.asp?pid=226

…"includes 3 pouches (12oz, 16oz and 32oz) that can be reused hundreds of times. A larger 2 liter capacity bag is also available".

Party On,

Newton

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I am so disappointed. I have been waiting for someone to develop DEHYDRATED WATER for such a long time!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Dehydrated water? That was in cans, on the shelf in a gas station east of Austin, NV back in the late 60's.
    Duane

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Thanks to David S. back in 2008.

;-)” height=”538″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1362664448_77392.gif” width=”550″ />

Bulky and "heavy" canned product. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Seriuosly though. It's going to some kind of filter. Maybe they added a carbon filter. Maybe a smaller better flowing filter for inline use. Hope it's not something stupid like a "groundshattering" bag redesign.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Im betting something that can be used in freezing conditions.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Max, the only way to disrupt a humour thread is to replace it with a cynicism thread

On the web site they say it has a total field weight of 3 ounces. It looks much like the regular Squeeze (which is great by the way – I'm a big fan). The regular Squeeze weighs 3 ounces. It has the same backflusher as regular Squeeze.

I think that the only difference in this new product is that it has 12, 16, and 32 ounce bags. The original product has 16, 32, and 64 ounce bags.

Another thing, it looks like these are the old bags that people complain about breaking and not the new bags that are supposed to be stronger.

So, my cynical idea is that they're just trying to unload their inventory of old, weak bags.

By the way, I've been using the 64 ounce bags successfully on a number of trips. Maybe you just have to baby them – gently squeeze, don't swing them around holding on to threaded piece when full of water,….

I just wish they'de test them to see if freezing damages them rather than lamely saying they don't know so you better throw it away if you think it might have frozen : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Hope it's not something stupid like a "groundshattering" bag redesign."

That's it! Instead of the Sawyer Squeeze, it'll be called the Sawyer Main Squeeze! Anatomically correct filter bags that you'll want to sleep with too! Keeps your water warm and your heart beating on those cold winter nights!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I really appreciate this thread, which has made me almost fall off my chair laughing (at a not very happy time for me).

Seriously, I just looked at the Sawyer website and strongly suspect it's the same Sawyer Squeeze video as last year. Nothing looks different.

In the meantime, though, the speculation here has been hilarious! Why stop now?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

remember now that every new shiny product is supposed to change the world …

without the hype why else would we buy it?

because its functionally and substantially better ???? ….. nah …

=P

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

we have to buy mores Squeezes to stimulate the economy?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It's a new SUL version of the Squeeze, called the Pinch.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Eric, If you don't shut up, I'm going to drive my Segway across the country for a brawl!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools