Topic

TSA to allow pocketknives, some sports equipment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion TSA to allow pocketknives, some sports equipment

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

knitting needles have been allowed for a very long time.. and you should not piss off a knitter ;) But they are generous people and would probably lend you a needle to fight someone with a tiny knife.

:waves: Hi Kat! haha

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Justin:

If they won't let you bring real weapons, chances are whoever you're fighting with won't be armed either. So, put down the water bottle, quit whining, and fight like a man! :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'll just stab em with a trekking pole!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Any time someone not in my seating area puts something in "my" overhead bin, leaving me no space, OUT it goes! That bin is ONLY for my seat grouping. Period.

I've even told flight attendants that and every one of them has agreed – so far.
    Really pisses off those who brought too much "carry on". Whaaaaa! Whaaaaa!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I'm with you Eric. Poaching overhead space on your way to the back of the bus puts your luggage at risk of (me) placing it in the aisle (and therefore it being gate checked at the last minute).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

They are dangerous.
    Overhead bins are dangerous.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Small knives and weapons aren't a danger for planes anymore. The reason 9-11 worked with box cutters was that the mindset when hi jacked was to ride it out, get flown to libya, sit in the plane for a few days, then get released without harm. So there was no reason to fight a hijacker when by being calm and riding it out gave you the best chance of survival.

If the terrorists of 9-11 tried that again today they wouldn't get near the cockpit. It only took a phone call and a few hours after the first impact for flight 93 to fight back. And that plane only crashed because the terrorists already took control of the cockpit.

So post 9-11 the attitude toward hijacking as changed and therefore small weapons are safe. The explosive risk is still there and agree with the TSA that it should be the focus.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I'm with you Eric. Poaching overhead space on your way to the back of the bus puts your luggage at risk of (me) placing it in the aisle (and therefore it being gate checked at the last minute)."

People seem to do that routinely. You know, a row 28 seat or higher, but folks slip their bags into the first available bin space they see regardless (like row #4)! I've never seen even a mildly discouraging look from any of the flight attendants.

But that aside, all the times that I have boarded onto airplanes, I've always managed to find some overhead bin space within 1 or 2 rows of my seat.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

From CNN…

"The U.S. government is delaying the implementation of a rule that would again permit passengers to carry small knives on commercial flights.

Three days before the rule was to have taken effect, the Transportation Security Administration said it would consider additional input from a group that includes aviation-related interests and law enforcement experts."

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Per the LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-tsa-to-delay-allowing-small-knives-on-planes-20130422,0,3679780.story
    this also includes ski/trekking poles and other items for which they'd planned to relax the rules.

And if my 1860's dress isn't quite finished in time, I won't be able to sew it on the plane to the Gettysburg 150th Anniversary, unless I cut the thread with my teeth (which aren't that sharp!). Ah, well, it's a red-eye flight anyway, so I should be sleeping.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Delayed?! OMG people are so ignorant!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

One option might be to stop by a walmart and buy whatever $5-$10 knife they have just for the one trip. It would be cheaper then checking a bag, even if you also had to buy tent pegs there you'd still come out ahead.

Christopher Gutwein
    BPL Member

@syntax

I hope we can eventually carry the small ones again even though the delay looks like it'll stay in the same now. Until then, I'm OK with checking. Put it in a side pocket, grab it as soon as you get your baggage when you land…if you get your baggage.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"One option might be to stop by a walmart and buy whatever $5-$10 knife they have just for the one trip."

Certainly a good idea. If you feel that you really need a knife at all, and have time and transportation to get to a walmart or the like, if such a store is in the vicinity of your destination.

For me, however, I'll still be checking baggage so that I can have trekking poles. I'm not inclined to hope that I can buy and then later give away a cheap and heavy set of poles at my destination.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools