Topic

How do I shorten my spoon and toothbrush?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How do I shorten my spoon and toothbrush?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I tried searching for this but I couldn't find much…simply put, how do I shorten my plastic REI spoon and my toothbrush? I'm familiar with melting the ends of trimmed straps but I feel like doing this to these bigger plastic things could be a bit messier (ie melting plastic onto my skin, etc.), and sawing would leave them with jagged edges.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You don't have to. I bougt a Sea to Summit short spoon. I use a travel toothbrush.

You don't have to cut the margins off your maps either.

Sandpaper if you absolutely must.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

A whole set of adult teeth come in at many many grams and so if they are pulled you'll end up with a lighter load plus you won't even need a toothbrush.

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

Cut the excess length off with a pair of side cutters or shears and sand edges down with a grinder/dremel/sandpaper.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

the idea of buying a Sea to Summit spoon is good but this spoon was cheap and it works well, so I'd just as soon keep using it. I just want there to be less of it so that I can fit it in my pot…

Edit: sandpaper! thanks!

Stephen Adams
    BPL Member

@stevemkedcom

Locale: Northwest

Spoorush

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

hahaha. as I am still using my old standby heavy synthetic sleeping bag I can honestly say that I'm not at THAT point yet in my ultralight journey.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I cut the end off my Sea to Summit spoon with hacksaw, then filed it smooth

Not to save weight, but to fit in my pot

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

MSR has a folding spoon. A few grams heavier than a ti spoon, but when folded, it fits in my pot, and when unfolded, it's decently long.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Actually, I just bought the MSR folding spoon to replace my SP spork and its 4 grams lighter plus its a couple inches longer when unfolded.

I shortened a couple of toothbrushes in my early days and a hacksaw worked fine.

Adam

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Maybe a bit more than you want to invest at the moment, but I'm a big fan of the Dremel rotary tool. Cut and Sand with one tool. Plus numerous other uses. I got my first one 10 years ago and it's come in handy in many situations, both backpacking and unrelated. It's perfect for cutting down almost anything, from toothbrushes to pot handles. If interested, get a corded one, as the rechargeable ones are generally junk unless you starting getting into the very expensive models.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

lol at cutting spoons and toothbrush to save grams when many ounces could be saved elsewhere

i love my long spoon for FBC and pb jars. i trimmed my toothbrush so it would fit in a ziplock sideways.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"i trimmed my toothbrush so it would fit in a ziplock sideways."

I take my Sonicare electric toothbrush. 7 ounces including paste and floss. It fits sideways in a gallon ziploc.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

haha touche.. a sandwich sized bag. to go with my travel toothpaste. i have an electric one but don't like how it rattles my brain ;)

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Most the time, I just brush my teeth with my finger… so I'd say reckless use of a power saw is one way to shorten that.

As far as spoons, I go long to help avoid getting food on my hands. I justify the extra weight this adds by using my spoon as a tent stake.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools