Topic

Stericard water purification

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stericard water purification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Does anyone know anything about this?

Very light and small; will supposedly purify any liquid at a rate of 15 minutes per liter and runs off a 9 volt battery.

http://www.biophysica.com/stericard.html

Fg

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I like the "I made it myself" look. It's a new one on me.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interesting, but the Steripen is a lot nicer looking — and it treats a quart or liter of water in 90 seconds instead of 15 minutes.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I'd need to review which particular sacred invocations they used to properly determine efficacy. Often a call to Yog-Sothoth is used, resulting in unexpected complications.

/ Why yes, it did peg my "woo" meter.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Apparently there's a more finished product.Gh

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Jennifer could obviously use this at the opera. It only works with wine glasses…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It's 1 ounce

If uses UV light and also has a Silver anode

"Provides long-lasting residual antimicrobial potency in the treated water for many months because ions and Zeta Potential do not evaporate"

hmmm… my B.S. alarm is going off

I wonder if it's really effective?

15 minues for 1 liter – that's a lot better than chlorine tablets – I could work with that

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Card looks kind of wide. Will it fit through a wide-mouthed Nalgene or similar?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Dunno, but if this is legitimate technology and the battery lasts a respectable length of time, there could be some neat stuff in the future.

Although it didn't fully go off, my B.S. meter did register a tremor.

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Really? I figured the "Sacred geometry, crystal and invocations for protection" bullet was a pretty strong giveaway.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

LOL. Missed that line.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Might be convenient if mounted to a water bladder? Just fill bladder and wait 15 before drinking.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Absolutely fascinating… :-)

My thoughts on reading their web site:

They claim it is a 'purifier' but do not quote any EPA approval number, which is needed before they can use that word in the USA. They can get away with this because they are located in Canada. If they were located in the USA they would be in court, fast.

The blue light you can see is purely for appearances: it is really a blue LED and has zero purification properties.

Is there a 'powerful ultra-short wave UV light' on the unit? I doubt it very much. The only UV-C LEDs I know off have about 1% of the required output power and cost about $200 each. OK, ballpark figures.

Ooh, big scientific words: Zeta potential. However, this is a scientific term for electrokinetic potential in colloidal systems. I fail to see much connection. Oh well, maybe they are talking about putting colloidal silver into the water.

There is a large silver anode which could be persuaded to put silver ions (or colloidal particles?) into the water. This will have some limited anti-bacterial properties, but I doubt it will do anything for viruses or protozoa.

'Cathode (ground) is 99.99% pure gold-plated copper labyrinth pattern' – but so what, and I can't actually see any gold plating on the copper spiral anyhow.

Of course, I may be completely ignorant of the true value of this device. Anything is possible.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I was waiting for your take, Roger!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I was waiting for your take, Roger!"

I'd wait 15 minutes for Roger's take before I'd wait 15 minutes to purify a liter of water. ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I ain't waiting for notin' and no one for fifteen friggin' minutes when I know I can have safe drinking water in 90 seconds.

Ben.
    Steripen Fanboi

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools