Topic

NeoAir All Season VS. Original?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir All Season VS. Original?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Just thought I would get everyone's opinion on this: Should I buy a 66" Thermarest NeoAir All Season, or a 72" Thermarest NeoAir original? The difference is the R value and the weight. The All Season has a 4.9 R value and weighs 18 ounces, and the original has a 2.5 R value and weighs 12 ounces. I'd be paying about the same price. Also, I live in a colder climate (Wisconsin), but I'll be backpacking pretty much exclusively in Summer and Spring (sometimes an early Spring, like beginning of April, though). Any opinions would be appreciated.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yo, cheesehead! :)

If you keep to the warmer months, the regular Neoair should be fine.

But as you get more comfortable being out there, you may want to venture into the colder months, and then you'll need a more substantial R value.

If you can swing it, look at the XTherm. My 72" pad is comfortable any day of the year and is only 16 ounces. But it is pricey.

You could also get the regular Neoair and supplement it with some CCF to beef up the R value. Much cheaper, but more bulky.

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Any one have any more advice?

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

Just after Christmas last year, I went on a trip to Guadalupe Peak in West Texas. The first night, the temperature got down to 16 degrees. I used a NeoAir original short paired with a Western Mountaineering Versalite and stayed toasty warm.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I have no data for this, but I'd bet that camping on snow or ice would require more R-Value than camping on dry ground in similar ambient air temps.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 w/Josh I too have both and agree

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I've never owned the All Season and not necessarily suggesting it will be the better option for you, but another thing to consider is durability….

"The all season NeoAir will have a much more durable shell material than the original NeoAir, says Kerri Dellisanti of Cascade Designs. The original NeoAir shell has uses 30 denier high tenacity ripstop nylon on its top and bottom. The all-season NeoAir will have a 75 denier polyester top shell and a 70 denier nylon bottom." – http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/01/22/outdoor-retailer-all-season-neo-air.html

Madeline T

@madscot13

I don't know but the All season seems less crunchy sounding than the original Neo air. Can anyone comment on this?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Good point about fabric. The XTherm also uses 70D on the bottom.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The All Season fabric is softer and a bit quiter. I am in the camp that find the NeoAir to be no noiser than the fabric on my sleeping bag though too.

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Thanks for the advice. I went with the original, because I don't want to be carrying an extra 6 ounces for a shorter pad just because it has an unnecessarily (for me) high R value. I don't think the crinklyness will be an issue as I don't really move when I sleep. Again, thanks for the advice!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools