Topic

The perfect cookset (in my brain)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The perfect cookset (in my brain)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I can't figure out why no manufacturer seems to produce the perfect cookset that I picture in my brain. Here is what I have in mind:

– material: Titanium or Aluminum… but I always picture aluminum because I am cheap.

– pot with no handle or attachment point. Why add all that junk on? With a lip on the pot you can stably pick it up with a pot grabber, plus you know the pot handle is not heating up from your stove.

– size: somewhat equal height to diameter ratio so it can be used efficiently with a stove and also be used as an eating pot/bowl.

– nicely fitting lid/fry pan/plate. It can be used as a cover for the pot, but also flipped over and used a frying pan. It should have the little metal attachment point for the pot grabber so it can be picked up either upside down (as a lid) or right side up (as a fry pan).

The MSR Alpine is pretty much exactly what I am describing, but for some unknown reason they decided to make the thing out of stainless steal so it is ridiculously heavy.

http://www.rei.com/product/401120/msr-alpine-4-pot-set

Am I crazy? Is this out their or shouldn't it be? I know ultra-light purist would scoff at having a fry pan, but having freshly fried trout overlooking a high Sierra lake is sublime.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have the 750ml MSR Alpine. Like you said, good pot but heavy. I've used it on fishing trips and have used the lid to fry fish on a campfire.

Even though Titanium isn't good for frying, I'm pondering the idea of using the Snowpeak Titanium plate to fry fish. I've never thrown fish wrapped in foil directly into the coals but that seems like it would work too.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I want a non-stick Ti mini wok. I might concede to hard anodized aluminum.

Woks are designed to cook on small intense heat sources, with food cut into small prices for quick cooking and efficient use of fuel. That seems to fit backpacking to a tee.

Imagine something the size of a SnowPeak bowl, but more wok-shaped. It could be used with a Caldera Cone, canister stove or a tiny campfire. I would want a decent handle to aid stability when stir-frying. Add a vee in the rim for pouring and a light simple lid, or make the lid domed to also be used as a bowl and nest in the wok.

With all the Asian manufacturers of Ti cookware, I'm surprised this hasn't been done. You can buy 12"-14" models for $180 or so.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

>>Are these close?

close, but they have attached handles and they are crazy expensive.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Just a question – but is a pot grabber tha much lighter than the conventional folding wire handles?

I've only owned pots with handles – and appreciate not having to keep track of another component given I would think it doesn't add appreciably to the weight.

I know some folks really like grabber based pots so maybe it is also what we are used to?

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

Most of my cooking in the backcountry involves boiling water and melting snow – that's it. I only use titanium pots – they're light, tough, and work just fine for melting snow/boiling water. I have 3 MSR Titan pots: a 2 litre, a 1.5 litre and a 1 litre. The 1/1.5 litre pot set is still available from MSR and weighs 9.6 oz./272 g [including 2 pots, cover, and pot lifter]. I also have a Snowpeak Ti Solo cook set. The MSR cook set is basically a lightweight version of their Alpine s/s cook set.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

This is what I'm considering for frying fish:

http://www.rei.com/product/720285/snow-peak-titanium-plate?preferredSku=7202850017&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-7202850017&mr:referralID=342c4edb-8059-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

Re: Pot handles vs pot grabber. I remove my handles from my pots and use wool glove liners or a bandana to handle the pot when boiling water. I think I could get away with using my leatherman squirt to remove the plate from the coals.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

These old Sigg units in aluminium would fit your requirements.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72211
    While they have a bail handle that can be removed. They really are the most beautifully shaped units with a frying pan lid.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

It will stick unless you have a load of oil, etc. I would count on needing to hold the pan above the coals to control the heat. An Open Country pot grabber is $4 at REI and 1.2oz. Wish for an UL spatula while you are at it.

I experimented with a bunch of really light (read thin) aluminum cake pans for UL fry pans and they basically sucked. The non-stick ones were all too heavy. That is why I wished for a wok.

If you get out of the fish-in-one-piece frame of mind, you can cook it better in a small lid-type pan when cut into smaller pieces. Fantastic when sauteed with good stuff like shallots, onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc. Do it somewhere other than camp– your big furry buddies will smell it for miles :) A little white wine, a wild rice mix, and some freeze dried veggies. YES!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Sigg made some well designed stuff. I assume the Asian/Ti market made it less marketable. You can find aluminum plates in nearly the same size/dimensions in some of the older 4-person billy sets. I'll keep my eye out for some.

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Sounds an awful lot like the Trangia sets: 1L saucepan, 18cm frypan/lid, separate gripper-handle that fits both, now made in "UL aluminum".
    http://www.trangia.se/english/2913.trangia_stoves.html

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I much prefer the Sigg Aluminum Tourist Kit.

Nesting 2.5 qt and 3.5 qt pots, a lid that works with either pot or can be used as a fry pan. Aluminum. Total weight is 17 ounces.

Sigg Cookset 1

sigg cookset 2

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

"Sounds an awful lot like the Trangia sets…" -BNB

I think your right. I always forget to look at the Triangia cooksets because they throw in a brass cat food can and call them stoves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools