Topic

Rubber band…..rubber band man.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rubber band…..rubber band man.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I like rubber bands…….a lot.

I carry them around my wrists 24-7, at home or away, in the air or on the ground. I use #64. This size does not constrict my wrists but will not fall off my hands accidentally.

I read that latex free rubber bands are more UV resistant than the ones typically sold by the office supply stores. I bought two brands of latex free rubber bands to test this out.

Testing Protocol
    I hung 3 rubber bands from our outside clothesline 5 months ago. Whenever I went by I gave all three several stretches.

Results
    I can't see any difference between the three rubber bands after their 5 months of exposure. So, for my needs, I'd say they were the same.

Photos Below (blue and orange are latex free)

x

x

x

x

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Interesting tests, thanks :-)

What are some of the things you use them for?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I never pass up the chance to save a rubber band for reuse later! I wonder if that is a genetic trait or an acquired illness;-)

Testing Protocol
    I hung 3 rubber bands from our outside clothesline 5 months ago. Whenever I went by I gave all three several stretches.

If I may suggest an alternate protocol ….
    1) somehow label 5 bands 1 thru 5
    2) hang #1 outside
    3) one month later add #2
    4) add the rest of the bands at one month intervals
    5) That gives you side by side comparisons of bands exposed for different amounts of time

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My wife also has this affliction. Bands everywhere.

I like shock cord and hair elastics.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The problem with hoarding rubber bands, is they get old and brittle and crack and break when you stretch them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Seems like the ones Daryl uses are not prone to that being latex free.

Two weeks outside and a latex one would be done. Look at your neighbor who does not pick up their papers, check the bands. They are even dated.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dan,

I use the rubber bands most often for securing rolled up bags filled with various items (e.g. granola, first aid, tent stakes, pen and paper, small parts, etc.)

Other uses include:
    around tent poles to keep them together when packed
    around my closed cell foam sleeping pad
    around rolled up instead of dangling pack straps that I won't be using for awhile
    holding lids on pots for packing
    holding rolled up neck cord against compass when packed
    quickly securing a pebble inside a small pocket of fabric for a tether point
    keeping a pliers closed when packed
    larks heading a flashlight or thermometer to a tent pole
    bundling groups of pencils or pens
    etc.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Jim,

Your protocol sounds like real science instead of my typical pseudo science.

I'm currently satisfied that it doesn't make much difference which rubber band I take backpacking. Each of the tested ones will last much longer than my trip.

So, for me, its game over, curiosity satisfied, etc. On to other adventures.

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

After reading my original post and the replies to my post I see that I have failed to communicate a key point.

The beige colored rubber band is NOT latex free. At least it doesn't say so on the bag. It is the bottom line cheapest #64 rubber band that Office Depot sells so I assume it does have latex in it. This assumption, of course, could be wrong.

The red and blue rubber bands are labeled as latex free and they are more expensive than the beige ones. I had read elsewhere that latex free rubber bands are more UV resistant than latex bands.

I was simply trying to determine if the latex free labeled rubber bands would last longer than the cheapos. In other words is it worth it to buy the more expensive rubber bands. I concluded there was no observable difference after 5 months…….which is longer than any of my trips….so for me it isn't worth it to buy the latex free ones unless I want the blue or red color.

So from now on I'll go back to using the cheapo rubber bands. The irony of this is that I probably have a lifetime supply of rubber bands due to this testing. All three types will probably dry up and crack before I can use them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So I wonder what the paper company is using. They don't last long at all.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

For years I would pester my asparagus-eating friends to save those burly purple rubber bands. They were the strongest, longest-lasting rubber bands I knew of. Then a lady friend of mine turned me onto silicone hair ties, and I've never looked back.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"asparagus-eating friends to save those burly purple rubber bands"

Yes, rubber bands on celery can be good. I use rubber bands when I roll my clothing before each item goes into the backpack.

Some people are allergic to latex, so they need to select their rubber bands carefully.

–B.G.–

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

This discussion is making me think of a kidnapping mystery that goes something like this.

"I'm sorry officer, I can't id the kidnapper because I was blindfolded. I do recall an asparagus smell when he urinated in the bushes, however."

Then I noticed the burly purple rubber bands on the officer's wrist and knew I wasn't out of danger yet.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Somebody needs to market some spectra-reinforced rubber bands.

I use Tyvek wading slippers for some stream crossings, and they are held on tightly with rubber bands. That is, until they break.

–B.G.–

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

While I dont share the unhealthy pre-occupation with rubber bands that apparently some others do, I use them a lot too. Each weighs 0.04 oz, and get included in my spreadsheet. They take the place of stuffsacks and ziplocks frequently for some items.

I roll up my raingear tightly and put rubber band around to keep it that way.
    I will roll up certain tent components tightly and put a couple rubber bands around
    Put around tent stakes too
    Use to cinch up the pillow/clothes bag to the desired size/firmness. twist & band.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Daryl,

I'll buy some of those rubber bands off you, if you want to sell a few, dozen or so.

Jack

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I just like the title of this thread.

That is all.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Wonder why they're 'always' purple??

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Daryl….
    Fishnet, rubber bands… yes we get it.
    How about posting a picture of yourself in full latex suit and call that a Vapour Barrier ?

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I never pass up the chance to save a rubber band for reuse later! I wonder if that is a genetic trait or an acquired illness;-)"

Perhaps both, Jim.

I remember my uncle coming up on the Greyhound bus from Fresno to the SF area (he would actually take the local, not express version because he liked seeing the smaller town and seeing people going about their regular lives). Anyway, my father went to pick him up and couldn't find him for quite a while. Uncle Dick had seen a hundred rubber bands in the gutter where someone had dropped a package of them and he just couldn't leave them there.

There's a strong, male-linked hoarding gene in my family and I fight it. My uncle (who grew up in the Depression) and brother (who lived on the edge for many years) lost the battle. The cousins would go to their dad's house every 6 months and fill up one or two dumpsters of, well, garbage to anyone else's eyes but treasures to the hoarder.

So if you've got more rubber bands than you can possibly use before they become brittle. . . .

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

The asparagus bands may be purple so that they are clearly visible during food preparation, in the same way that caterers use blue sticking plasters for small cuts, etc. Purple and blue are generally 'no-no' natural food colour indicators, although we have become accustomed to some (blueberries, etc), and to artificial colours.

In the UK, the Royal Mail use elastic bands for their postmen to secure bundles of post, and the postman usually drops them on the ground when he's done* So the pavements tend to be littered with red elastic bands. These do deteriorate, both in sunlight and indoors. Trouble is, I don't know what they're made from… Latex, I suspect, as it's cheap and biodegradeable.

* The Royal Mail say they're not supposed to do this; they're meant to go back to the depot. Yeah, right…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"In the UK, the Royal Mail use elastic bands for their postmen to secure bundles of post, and the postman usually drops them on the ground when he's done* So the pavements tend to be littered with red elastic bands. These do deteriorate, both in sunlight and indoors. Trouble is, I don't know what they're made from… Latex, I suspect, as it's cheap and biodegradeable."

I try to chop up the broken bands, then I plant that stuff in my backyard. I'm hoping for a grove of rubber trees to spring up someday.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like sections of inner tubes for rubber bands. Evidently they were used by Army Rangers for some purpose and have picked up the "ranger band" name. Mountain bike tubes are a good size and you can cut them as thin or fat as you like. I need to get some motorcycle and lawn tractor sizes. The bike tire sizes will make your tent poles behave and the bigger ones will tame a closed cell foam pad. If you can get the right size, you can add to traction to a slippery bear can.

Matthew Hoskin

@mattgugel

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP

LOL – I only buy the asparagus that has those 2 really nice purple bands. Our Asparagus here must be from the US.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools