Topic

Lightest PLB recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest PLB recommendations

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Folks,

I know this has been hashed about many times but I am looking for the lightest possible GPS enabled PLB that can be used all year (does not have a temperature restrictions) I do not need a messaging device.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Stephen

Edit: Bought a Acr 406 Q link

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Randy

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I own the McMurdo FastFind. At the time it was the smallest and lightest. ACR has a smaller one now. I've never had to deploy it so can't "recommend" but I do have confidence it would work if it needed to. It's got a self-test feature that I occasionally use. At 5 years I'm supposed to return it to McMurdo for a battery replacement. At that point, technology will probably have come far enough that it will be more likely I'll buy a new PLB.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Dena,

I see the McMurdo and Acr are about the same price.

Cheers,

Stephe

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I own the McMurdo FastFind. At the time it was the smallest and lightest. ACR has a smaller one now. I've never had to deploy it so can't "recommend" but I do have confidence it would work if it needed to. It's got a self-test feature"

+1 Except that I run thru it every spring, just to be sure.

"At 5 years I'm supposed to return it to McMurdo for a battery replacement. At that point, technology will probably have come far enough that it will be more likely I'll buy a new PLB."

+1 the new battery costs something like $70. :( Time to move on.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I've read about some "complaints" about the McMurdo that you have to break a seal to deploy the antenna. Don't know it that's a big deal.

I'm coming up on the "battery death" of my old ACR AquaFix. It weighs 12oz/343g (ouch!), so I'm not too sad to see it go even though these things are pricey.

Thanks for a timely post,

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I looked at both the McMurdo and the Acr units and cannot decide which to get.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Good to -20 Celsius

http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/en/products/plb/fastfind-max-g

And if you can wait perhaps this would work for you

http://www.oceansignal.com/product.php?id=22

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Spot on Ken, its nice and small also it could fit in a pocket.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

There is another small one that is waiting final approval also. Can't find that link just yet.

Edit: I was thinking of the Satro. But the Man put the kibosh on that one.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Nice to see we may have something to choose from other than just McMurdo and ACR. Perhaps competition will drive cost (and weight) down!

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

steven franchuk

@surf

ACR took DME (the maker of Satro) to court and DME lost. The Satro was a slightly modified ACRQlink that was made using design document two former ACR employees provided. The Satro will never be sold.

Fastfind-Max-g is designed for ocean use, is designed to float, and as a result it is twice the weight and significantly larger than the ACRQlink.

The ocean signal Rescue Me is a little smaller and and 1oz lighter. when it comes out it will probably be the lightest and smallest but not by a significant margin.

Most of the weight and size of the ACRQLink is determined by the size of the batteries. Until battery technology improves significantly it is doubtful that we will see a significant decrease in weight.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I've got the Fastfind (152g) like others and echo most of the comments made.

McMurdo have a new version out (same weight range) but with a six-year battery life.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My McMurdo Fast Find 5 year battery is now 5 years old.

Looking for my next PLB.

Anyone on up to date on current options?

Possibility of better options looked good in these 4 year old posts.  What has actually materialized?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I’ll probably get my battery replaced. Haven’t seen much new in this department.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ocean Signal’s RescueMe – http://oceansignal.com/products/plb1/

Small, 4.1 ounces, 7 year battery, $240 +/-

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Which is shown in the link I posted 4 years ago.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Ken and Greg,

Thanks for the info.  Saved me a lot of Googling.

Went with the RescueMe.

Bought it from Landfall Navigation for $259 including shipping.  On-phone store rep was helpful, patient with my stupid questions and knowledgeable.

Buying one?  Make sure you ask when the battery expires.  One company was selling ones that expired in 5 years (instead of 7) for $249.  The ten dollar price reduction did not compensate for a 2 year reduction in battery life, in my opinion.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Hope you never need it Daryl.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I still have the Acr 406 Q link, it just sits in my pack along with my Sat phone in winter. In summer I carry one or the other. Have  not at all looked at newer devices.

I sometines think a satelitte messenger would do the job of both devices but being able to talk to a AAA dispatcher if broken down in a no cell phone service area is a big advantage over a satellite messenger.

Might just sell the Acr.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Bought a RESCUE ME from the same vendor. Tucks away in a corner of the lid pocket, using much less space and weight than the FASTFIND that preceded it and worked perfectly when I had to use it. Hope I never have to find out with the RESCUE ME. Am above the radar with two Colorado county sheriffs already.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

If you want my McMurdo Fast Find with an expired battery PM me and I’ll send it to you for free.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Landfall Navigation gets my vote for good customer service.

When my PLB arrived it’s battery was 8 months old so my 7 year battery life was shortened by about 10%.  I called Landfall and they reduced the price of the PLB by 10%.  Seems like a fair response.  I’m satisfied.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools