Topic

Mini Dropper Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mini Dropper Bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

I have googled and not found anything, so will offer up my questions to the experts out there.

1) What amounts of different fluids would you normally bring for 7 nights of camping?
    -Doctor Bronners
    -Anti-bacterial
    -Toothpaste
    -deodorant
    -Deet
    -Sunscreen
    -Bleech (killing viruses in water)
    -etc

2) What size dropper bottles do you use?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Products/Mini-Dropper-Bottles-p886.html

These should be plenty. I only use them for soap and Deet.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

1-2oz hand sanitizer… toothpaste comes already packaged in handy .85oz tube.

dr b.. no freezer bag cooking
    deodorant.. no.. why bother
    deet.. no lightweight long sleeve/headnet more effective
    bleAch.. no.. Sawyer filter
    sunscreen.. maybe 1-2oz for face if a lot above treeline.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I would say the amounts of each will highly depend on how much you use on a daily basis. Since my name came up I will give you what feedback I can. I personally use my mini dropper bottles and mini vials for things like Aquamira, Olive Oil, sauces, and Lemon Eucalyptus bug juice. I use to carry both camp soap and dr. bronners but I found bar soap to be a better solution as it seems to last ALOT longer plus its a bit more manly. As far as toothpaste goes, I just buy those little travel tubes. As far as the other stuff goes, I can't say I have ever carried it as I don't wear deodorant on a daily basis and I barley ever wear sunblock. I have never used antibacterial lotion and while bleach is great for killing germs I usually just use aquamira since I don't like the taste of the bleach. As far as deet goes, I carry that from time to time as well and I will put that in either a mini dropper bottle or a mini vial unless I am going down to the Everglades and then I just carry a case of the stuff. Hope this helps.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Everyone is different….

-Doctor Bronners – none. I prefer antibacterial wet wipes.
    -Anti-bacterial – none. See above.
    -Toothpaste – none. I prefer flossing, brushing (w/o toothpaste), then this.
    -deodorant – none.
    -Deet – smallest bottle if 100% DEET — you only need 6 drops a day.
    -Sunscreen – I prefer 1 or 2oz wide mouth Nalgene jar for easier access.
    -Bleech (killing viruses in water) – figure 5 drops per liter or quart of water

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Is 5 drops of bleach enough? If so, no wonder I can't stand the taste.

I read a few places that you should use a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. I am not sure if that is correct?? So doing the math again as its been a few years since I last checked into this. That is .50oz of bleach per 128oz of water. If you convert microliters to oz you get something like 14,786 microliters. My little dropper bottles have a drop size of 40 microliters so that is like 369 drops per gallon or 97 drops per liter. My math always seemed off so I just used 25 drops per liter and you could still taste it. Is my math off? Do you not need to use this much bleach per gallon? Or do I have really strong taste buds? Or all of the above? haha. I would like to hear someone chime in on this. Maybe someone that uses bleach, dropper bottles and is really good at conversions/math.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've read 4-6 drops on various water treatment sites, including Red Cross emergency preparedness sites. So I just average the numbers to 5 drops per liter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools