Topic

Lost Coast/King Range Marchish?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Lost Coast/King Range Marchish?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

It was a good trip. Much more snow than we anticipated. Good company and beautiful country.

Without a full trip report, some reminders for myself and tips for anyone heading up there.

Saddle Mt. trail head is more accessible by heading N up King Peak Rd from Shelter Cove Rd. The distance is further than the approach from Ettersburg Rd but the road is so much broader and smoother that it simply isn't worth trying from North of the trail head.

Horse Mt is a nice area for car camping, 5 bucks a night. Pit toilets and water although currently water quality is under investigation and taps are off.

It's a good idea to leave extra water in the car just in case.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks guys for coming up. Even though things did not go according to plan I had a fine time outside. Good company.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Snow? I want pictures!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

plenty of snowFrankKen and Matt

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I unfortunately was too focused on my wet feet to get any shots of our setup in Maple camp. Frank did a great job using the lid off his bear can as an improvised shovel and scraping through about seven inches of snow to the bare dirt.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The snow seemed to be really concentrated in the area we were hiking. All the surrounding area was pretty snow free.

We all cowboy camped. Nice clear night.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools