Topic

Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lost in blizzard, facing death, couple finds love

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://tinyurl.com/bxee9sf

full story at link

In training for a Rainier summit bid later in 2012, they decided to make the short trip worthwhile by loading up their packs. It would be a life-saving decision.

The back of the truck was packed with everything they needed for a climb up to base camp — summit jackets, summit boots, tents, food.

“We over-packed entirely for a three-hour snowshoe but we were dismally low on what we needed for a blizzard,” says Johnson.

“It was barely enough to survive with.”

…..

“The mountain doesn’t discriminate. It takes whoever — the inexperienced, the young, the old, the experienced, anybody and anyone. It just doesn’t discriminate,” she says.

…..

They will never travel without a stove to heat water, never without a tent for shelter. They will always leave more detailed plans of their trips, rather than saying “they’ll be in the mountains.”

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Good story & advice, it would be educational to hear more of their adventure.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Eric, can you rework the link, I can't copy it because it goes into my boarder. I wouldn't mind reading it.
    Of course when I went to type this the URL was usable in the reply section.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Story link

How about never travel without a map and compass? "unable to read their malfunctioning GPS"

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

did the tiny url trick …

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

Heh, I'm still not used to seeing this as I read through posts.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So they narrowly escaped freezing to death. Then he proposed. And she accepted.

How sad… to escape one trap, only to fall into another — and a far more insidious one!

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Sexist

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools