Topic

Bear cannister shape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bear cannister shape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I dislike the cylinder shape of bear cans. When vertical in my pack, it presses right down my spine and pushes the bladder to one side leading to a lopsided weight distribution. It would be excellent for frameless packs but for this.

If someone were to make a new bear cannister, what would you think of having a flat side – a cross section like a D rather than a circle? A six inch flat on a 9 inch diameter would decrease the volume by 10% and the circumference by 1/2 inch.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I think bear canister shape is determined by what will actually hold up to a bear chomp or stomp. A flat side would hold the canister immobile on the ground while a bear stomped on it, and would give a side for a bear to get his teeth into. Every year I see people making suggestions to make bear canisters more comfortable to carry but I've always seen them shot down because the more comfortable shapes compromise the ability of the canister to hold up to a bear.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

like this more here

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

There was a guy on here last year working on that. It doesn't seem like it amounted to much:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68141&skip_to_post=582025#582025

The real problem is weight. Bear canisters are heavy. That is why people are willing to shell out hundreds of extra dollars for a bearikade to save a few ounces (and end up with a canister that can't be used in Grizzly country). An ergonomic design would be nice, but you are giving a leverage point for the bear. That means you have to make it bulkier to resist the additional forces… that means it has to be heavier.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There are three main ways to orient a bear canister inside a pack, but the best way depends on the dimensions of your particular canister and your particular pack. A round cylinder is the strongest practical shape.

1. You can orient it with the axis straight up and down. This fits a small pack best, but it puts maximum pressure against your spine.
    2. You can orient it with the axis right and left horizontally. This fits very poorly in a small pack, although it works OK in a very large pack, and it tends to put the canister weight more on your hips.
    3. You can orient it with the axis forward and backward horizontally. This puts the top or bottom flat against the spine, and this works the best for me. However, I use my BearVault 450, which is not a very tall canister.

–B.G.–

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

A Bearikade is no good in Grizz country?

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I think there is a better thread somewhere, but:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60298&startat=80

half way down the page you'll find some photos by g. mihalik

Here are IGBC approved devices: http://www.igbconline.org/images/pdf/130128_certified_products_list.pdf

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ben beat me to it.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

ya,ya,ya. I know the bears want in. But would you prefer a flat, or at least flatter side? What if it costs an oz in thickness for strength? 2 oz?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I'm fine with the cyclindrical design. My BearVault(s) fit transversely across the top of my pack just fine, putting the weight high and forward where I want it. My frame prevents contact between my back and the packbag, so that's fine (and airy).

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Whoa! That sucks about the Bearikade, but that photo has a way of making a point.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

the Bearier 700 that Anna posted about seems interesting. However… Camp4Outdoors hasn't updated their site since mid 2011. I wonder if they gave up or couldn't get approval?

Definitely like the idea of splitting up the halves and packing them flat, also the expandability for longer trips.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I don't see why a flat side to a bear can should give a bear any more leverage than the flat top and bottom already do. I think could be made so that the curved side and the flat side do not meet at a "corner" but rather round that off to prevent it from becoming a leverage point.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

A cylinder supports itself when stomped because of the nature of the cylinder. The weight of a bear stomp is evenly distributed if it stomps from the top or bottom.

If you have a D-shape, that structural integrity is lost, and the bear canister will fold and crack on the flat side if stomped from the top or bottom.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools