Topic

MAN-ifying a jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MAN-ifying a jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Zachary SCOTT

@zach

So I have been trying to put together some gear for a winter trip that I am going to take with my wife. We are both students and where we are well equipped for summer backpacking, the winter is another story. So I have spent the last month or two in our local thrift stores a couple times a week to check for clothing. I finally found a Sierra Designs Down Jacket that I picked up for myself. It has great loft considering the used nature and seems to be fairly lightweight. (Don't have a scale currently) The only problem is it is a women's jacket. The sizing ended up working for me but the color is light purple.

So my MYOG quest is how to make it a little better looking for me to use. My wife is all set up with newer gear so now I am just trying to get my stuff finished up. I looked into using a dye but the fear of damaging the down and the difficulty of dying polyester seem to rule out that option. My second idea was to simply add a shell of M50, M90, or Pertex over it and sew it around the edges. The interior of the jacket is black so this is my current solution.

Let me know what you guys think and if I go the extra shell route, what type of fabric would you recommend?

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

The Jacket in all its purple Glory

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Just wear it. Seen guys on purple Harleys. Nobody will say a word.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

M50 would not go good with this jacket unless you are looking for a shiny trash liner feel.
    On a synthetic Jacket maybe, but not down.
    M90 is awesome but on the heavy side.
    Quantum is expensive.
    Nobul2 is out of stock.

I would go with the Nobul2, but that makes it the M90.

Then again, Tim from EE swears by the 15d Impetus. I think since the weight is the same as the M90, the M90 (IMO) is top of the line.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Purple's not so bad. It's a lot better than many of the garish colors I've seen out on the trail.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You'll be cold and tired when you really need it. It will make the snags, ember holes, mud and food stains less painful than doing the same to a new $300 puffy.

I think it was about 1964 that purple corduroy pants were in style. My father had fits and wouldn't allow them. Let your freak flag fly :)

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Why not just turn it inside-out? You'd have a black jacket with pockets on the inside and a purple collar. You wouldn't have to modify it at all.

If you try making another shell to permanently attach to the outside of the purple jacket, I think you'll be unhappy with the result. It will be impossible to get it exactly the right shape without taking apart the purple jacket to make patterns. Do you use windshirts/jackets (like the Houdini) when you backpack? If so, you could just wear your wind jacket over the purple one.

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

Well I think that most of you guys agree that the way that jacket looks won't matter as long as it functions for now. Haha look for me out on the trails. Purple it stays!

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Wow, I was surprised that this is actually an issue. Colors have no gender. If I saw a pink down jacket and the price was right, I would wear it. I am partial to pink, though. I have twice in my life painted my bedroom bubble-gum pink.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

If you were/are considering a shell for it, then why not use your windshirt/DriDucks/Rain Shell over it?

You're carrying one of them anyway so you get the same effect.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Put a strip of duct tape on it somewhere.

Write a random word on it with a Sharpie.

BAM! Instant hipster/ possible free box score = free pass on lookin silly.

Tanner M

@tan68

As long as you decide you like purple before anyone says anything about the color, you are good. Then they are the ones being picky. :^)

Personally, I like purple stuff. This jacket is a dusky purple and that isn't bad. I have lady's shell gloves because the fit was good and the price was, too.

Now, if you really just don't like purple… That is another story. When do you plan on wearing the jacket? The simplest thing might be to just wear a shell over the jacket. If you are taking a rain shell, that might serve the purpose will enough..?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It's not that purple and if inexpensive, a sacrifice to the eventual campfire spark. Another option may be rotating it in the summer sun and letting the shell turn more gray with UV damage.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Take it from a guy that wears kilts…it's not the clothing, but the man wearing it that is important :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJVFJ2kb62c

Zachary SCOTT

@zach

Lots of good insight here. I have considered the shell option, however with no prior experience winter camping I am not sure if I will need the extra warmth of the down jacket under my shell while hiking/snowshoeing/skiing so this jacket will mostly be for sitting around camp and as part of my sleep system. In this case the damage will be minimal as far as people seeing me haha. I am interested however about the letting the sun turn the jacket more grey. Could this compromise the integrity of the fabric? Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the sun turn the jacket more grey. Could this compromise the integrity of the fabric?
    Yep. The fabric can go like paper, and shred.

I see nothing wrong with the colour myself.

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I see nothing wrong with the colour myself.

Are you gonna trust the fashion sense of a guy in zebra tights?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Are you gonna trust the fashion sense of a guy in zebra tights?"

LOL.

Just wear the jacket.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Whilst I completely agree with the others that, if the coat fits, wear it (purple is just fine), I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this point:

you found a Sierra Designs down jacket in a thrift store?

You lucky %*£(%!

;-)

Clayton Black
    BPL Member

@jivaro

Combine it with a pair of dirty girls and you'll be just fine.

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/fetish.html

Hope this helps.

;-)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"you found a Sierra Designs down jacket in a thrift store?"

Oh, it happens. I've scored that and better many times. Whether I'm looking for a dress shirt or kid's puddle boots, or whatever, I look at labels. Dress shirt example: LL Bean, Nordstrom's, Land's End, etc. Jackets: Sierra Designs, Northface, Patagonia, Helly Hansen, etc. Only when I see a quality manufacturer, do I slow down and look at condition, size, etc.

It helps to be shopping for a family of growing kids so there are many more possible sizes and many sizes that can be set aside for a year or two. Also, quality kid's stuff is outgrown before it is worn out.

But the best, easiest deal? Kiss up to a family with older kids. We hand off a lot of great stuff to local friends.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

… are obviously better than those in the UK…

I trawl through them for 2nd hand CDs on a very regular basis (to an extent that it's probably OCD…), and I don't think I've ever seen any item of clothing I'd want to wear.

I did once get a reasonable tent for £10; an earlier model of a tent I already have, but the inner design was better (continuous pole sleeves).

I guess it's down to luck of right place, right time.

Tanner M

@tan68

Maybe you lot just tend to hold on to your stuff longer..? Less stuff goes to thrift store and more stuff used to end of serviceable life?

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

On the OP's situation, impetus seems pretty nice. I got some samples from DIY Gear Supply added to my last order and I was pretty surprised how much I like the swatches of it. Haven't gotten around to stress testing or anything but I would say it's quite similar to my Nobul that I have. Though, I also don't see much cause to fix what's not broken but if that's what will make you happy it's a pretty inexpensive option when all is said and done.

I think that the thrift stores are a quite a bit more difficult to find good stuff these days (at least the ones by me) so I only go through once a month or so. I had a friend who makes a living going around to the 4 thrift stores and garage sales in town and reselling stuff on ebay. He still does OK but he said that he needs to be a lot more prudent about getting there right when they open on the days when new stuff gets put out or else it's all picked through within a day.

It's also going to be harder when you've got an entire generation captivated by a rap song about thrift store shopping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Are you gonna trust the fashion sense of a guy in zebra tights?"

Don't be silly. Roger would never wear anything like that.

They appear to be leopard skin pattern tights.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools