Topic

Source for UL Precription Sunglasses or Lenses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Source for UL Precription Sunglasses or Lenses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The biggest challenge (aside from sorting through the Zenni site) is getting you "pupilary distance". And if you are doing bifocals you need "near" and "far".

I was Very explicit when I got my eye exam: "Rx is to include the PD." It is usually done by the optometrist (who wants to sell you $250 frames and $250 lenses)rather than the opthamologist who is looking for disease and determining your Rx. After the exam I just sat there until I got the number.

If they are nice, they may just give to you from your last exam.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Getting the right height is also important. Not everybody wears glasses with their pupils right in the middle of the lenses. Many time it varies by frames.

The stronger the rx or if you have an astigmatism it does matter. That's why I wouldn't trust online vendors except for mild rxs.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Thanks Greg!

When I searched the site I only saw the clip-pns or goggles.

Susan

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have had nothing but great service and experience with 39dollarglasses.com.

One pair I had developed cracks around edge of a lense 5 mos later, sent it in and they remade the lenses no problem.

They do sunglasses for sure.

Personally, I dont take sunglasses. My glasses provide UV protection, and I know how to squint when needed. I also dont have any issues with glasses on the trail. A little water, a dab of soap, rubadubdub, and rinse, shake, put on. Never wipe glasses with anything but a clean tissue, after a wash, or you WILL put micro fine scratches in the lens coatings. I dont even wipe, I gently dap or pat the water off with tissue when I do dry them.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

"My glasses provide UV protection". Hmmm. Are you sure about that. How?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Are you sure about that. How?"

With some materials, they do it with a thin transparent coating. With other materials, the UV-blocker is mixed in.

–B.G.–

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

O.K. so we're not talking about Transitions lenses, right? Just regular glasses. Hey, could be that I'm really behind on new technology, but I did just recently buy a new pair of expensive glasses from UC Berkeley optometry center and darn it, I still need sunglasses. These lenses do nothing to block UV/UBF on their own, as far as I can tell. And I was told by staff that I needed uv/ubf sunglasses with these lenses.(Yeah yeah it's a marketing ploy etc.) I can't imagine anyone saying that climbers on snow, for example, can get by without sunglasses. But sunlight in summer at high altitude reflecting off granite is also potentially damaging. "Squinting" on a glacier won't cut it; nor at 10,00 feet in the summer. The proof: yes, it's anecdotal, but it sure feels a lot better when I put on uv/ubf sunglasses. So sure, no proof at all, just intuition.

Something tells me Bob will show me the contrary numbers. And I'm always wanting to learn.

I also grew up believing that car windows block UV/UBF rays. Not so.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Howdy,
    if you need true mountaineering/glacier glasses for extended periods at high altitude, these folks are my choice. The glass they use is the highest quality, and there are several options for color and transmitted light. I sent them a standard pair of Julbo Dru and they fitted them with the best lenses i've ever used. The Drus fit my face, but they can put lenses in your choice of frame. Not cheap, but the security is worth it.
    I offered my Optician the work, and was told his price would be much higher. He reviewed their site and was quite impressed. About $200 as i recall. stephan

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Something tells me Bob will show me the contrary numbers."

I have no contrary numbers.

The last time that I was in for prescription eyeglasses, I was asked a few questions about my lifestyle to indicate my use. I told them I wanted one set with clear lenses, and one set with dark lenses (sunglasses). I spend a lot of time outdoors at high elevation, so that dictated UV and a rather dark shade of sunglasses. Since I spend time out skiing and backpacking, I needed frames that were fairly rugged.

"I also grew up believing that car windows block UV/UBF rays. Not so."

Some do. Some don't. 'You pays your money and you takes your chances!'

It pays to ask a lot of questions on a big ticket purchase.

–B.G.–

Benjamin Brillat

@brillb

Locale: Northeast USA

There's really two questions here. Are you looking for ultralight glasses, or glasses that are great on a backpacking trip?

If you want the lightest glasses frames possible – get Silhouette. Rimless drilled frames, made from crazy titanium that you can flex and bend in every direction and that are nearly impossible to break. They weigh next to nothing, especially the ones that are just flexible and don't have any hinges. Your eye doctor almost certainly carries them. You can get them clear, of course, and they can also add tinting to make sunglasses out of any clear glasses – just go with a bigger lens if you do that.

If you want a very good pair of sunglasses for the trail – I highly recommend Rudy Project. (www.e-rudy.com) You can get both prescription and non-prescription frames. They're extremely durable, designed for activities like mountain biking.

I also have glasses from Zenni Optical, as a few others have mentioned. I really don't wear them ever, though – they're clearly low quality just as you would expect from their price. Still, it's great to leave a pair of clear and tinted glasses in the car as spares, or at work in my desk drawer. They are perfect as spare backup glasses.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

If you have a computer with a web cam, a credit card, and a well-lighted room, you can measure your PD at home:

http://pd.warbyparker.com/

I used this measurement to buy three pairs of Warby Parker glasses, worked great.

The Warby Parker glasses I bought are heavier than my old glasses, but their higher-priced TITANIUM frames should be lighter.

$95 glasses, $150 sunglasses, virtual try-ons, free at-home frame try-ons, free shipping, 30-day returns, modern styles, and they donate a pair for every pair you buy.

Helped me realize the astounding markups in prescription glasses.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I love Warby Parker, unfortunately they don't do bifocals. Hoping they change that soon!

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools