Topic

Source for UL Precription Sunglasses or Lenses

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Source for UL Precription Sunglasses or Lenses

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I wear contact lenses and for the most part, I can keep my hands and lenses clean enough to wear them on extended BP trips. However, a few times now, they have gotten dirty and I had a slight eye irritation, so i had to stop wearing my lenses and use my prescription glasses instead, which are not sun glasses and my eyes got cooked. My lenses are extended wear Acuvue (the original), but I always use them as daily wear, so i'm okay to sleep in them occassionally, but not for extended periods.

So now, I would like to get a good pair of prescription sun glasses that are an athletic style & material, so that they are UL and not heavey like a regular pair that doesn't hold up to sweat and long periods of wear in athletic ativities, like BPing.

Alternatively, I could use a source that makes presription lenses for my toaster sunglasses. I've seen a few online before, but not so much lately.

Also, I need a very small frame size – I have to shop in the children's section sometimes because my ideal frame size is 45.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wear prescription sunglasses while backpacking. Newer plastic lenses are OK for many people, but they are not extremely hard. They easily get scratched, and if you clean them with a dirty shirt or something, they get micro scratches and eventually get blurry. That isn't terrible if you are the kind of person who gets a new prescription anyway every few years.

Others of us wear glass lenses with durable frames. They do not scratch easily, but they are heavier. Basically, I wear them all day with a Croakies stretch band to hold them snugly on my head.

–B.G.–

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't carrying a spare set of lenses be lighter

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I carry spare contacts and a set of specs. My specs are just my daily/nightly set, but if you go to CostCo, they sell light frames and lenses at great prices. They do prescription sunglasses all the time.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"Newer plastic lenses are OK for many people, but they are not extremely hard. They easily get scratched, and if you clean them with a dirty shirt or something, they get micro scratches and eventually get blurry"

They make anti-scratch coatings for plastic lenses.

10 years ago they weren't so good, especially for clear glasses because you need anti-reflective coating also, and there wasn't a good coating thaat was bot AR and anti-scratch. 5 years ago they had both.

But, if you have sunglasses, you don't need AR, so just anti-scratch coating which is cheaper.

Even with anti scratch, don't wipe with dry cloth. Wash in water with tiny amount of detergent. Wipe off with cotton cloth reserved for this purpose so it doesn't have grit on it. Don't wipe with paper cloth because it's harder and will scratch.

That must have just been a joke about wiping your glasses with dirty shirt "or something". Ha ha ha… : )

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

They're so cheap you can buy a couple. I've taken lens out and used sugru or glue inside of darker "designer" sunglasses. Works well for me but YMMV.

Kurt Achtenhagen
    BPL Member

@kurtlnt-org

Locale: Boulder, CO

Susan,

Have you looked at Zenni Optical? I have not tried their sunglasses, but have had great success with their everyday glasses. I haven't found a better price point. Not sure on sunglass weights either, but my everyday glasses are 23 grams.

http://www.zennioptical.com/?prescription_type=single&frm_type%5B%5D=727&nav_cat_id=2&navused=1

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Susan, I struggled with this kind of things for years, no , decades! We finally had the chance to get lazer surgery, and I can't tell you what a difference it made! To see the outdoors, day and night, distant peaks and tiny stars, without having to mess with contacts or glasses, to just be able to pick up a pair of sunglasses when I needed them – wow!

I realize all too well that it is an entirely different level of expense, but if you consider it from a long term perspective, it gets much cheaper, considering what we paid for prescriptions every years.

Just saying, if you have the chance, if you can swing it, it's well worth it for folks like us who enjoy the outdoors. Good luck!

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

My fav for backpacking are sports glasses (for durability) with polycarbonate Transitions lenses. Durable, scratch-resistant, and one pair works for day and night. The only rub is if you want polarized, too. Drivewear, for instance, is a polarized photochromic, but it has a much smaller range of light transmission (on both high and low end) than Transitions, so they're not a one pair solution. When needing polarized, I either go with two separate pairs of glasses or use a pair of inexpensive polarized clip-ons. Depending on what kind of glasses you wear and whether clip-ons fit them well, those can actually be the best solution even when not really needing polarized.

best,

Bill S.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have a couple of pairs from Zenni Optical. They cost me about $28 each. They seem to be just as good as the ones which cost me ~$250 each at a local optometrist. I'm sold.

Cheers

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Doug,

yes, carrying spare lenses is lighter, but my point is that when I get an eye irritation or infection, I can't wear lenses, which is why I need glasses….

thanks and sorry if I wasn't clear

susan

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Stephen,

Totally I would love to get lasic, but unfortunately I am not a candidate due to my prescription. Trust me, I so envy those with perfect vision!

Susan

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Susan,
    Both my wife and I wear glasses. We don't like using contact lenses in the backcountry for similar reasons. We wear our regular eyeglasses, but bring along a set of clip on sunglasses. We use some generic ones from Walgreens that cost $15 a set and weighs about an ounce. They work well. We also bring along a few eyeglass alcohol cleaning pads. i HATE dirty lenses!

James Castleberry

@winterland76

+1 to Bill S. I also wear sport glasses for durability with transition lenses. Works well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Even with anti scratch, don't wipe with dry cloth. Wash in water ….. Wipe off with cotton cloth reserved for this purpose so it doesn't have grit on it."

+1
    +1
    +1

Especially out on the trail, it is imperative to wash your glasses with plenty of water, using your very sensitive fingertips to gently move the crud and grit off the lenses Before wiping them with a clean cloth. I keep a "lens specific" microfiber cloth in a snack-size ziplock just for this purpose in my glasses case. (It has to stay clean. Don't just put it in your pocket.)

I only clean my glasses when I pump water. If they get smudged I wait. You can do it right for 10 days, but it only takes one time with a gritty shirt to toast your lenses.

And clip-ons Are the lightest solution.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Thanks to all for the suggestions for Zenni Optical. Unfortunately they don't make prescirption sun glasses.

My search continues…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Unfortunately they don't make prescirption sun glasses.
    They do – look under 'goggles'. No metal frames though for these.

Cheers

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Excellent company and service you might want to check out……

With roots based in prescription glacier glass technology, Opticus specializes in the fabrication of prescription ski glasses, prescription bike glasses, prescription motorcycle glasses, prescription running glasses, prescription kayak glasses, prescription fishing glasses, prescription golf glasses, prescription tennis glasses, prescription sailing glasses and eyewear for just about any other active sport application. Our 34 years of optical skills and expertise are also applied to the creation of eyewear for specific conditions of extreme light sensitivity.

http://www.opticus.com/

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I got my bifocal prescription sunglasses from For Eyes. I got Ray Ban wraparound sport frames – you know, the kind that makes me look like a secret service agent :) They may be too big for your small face, but worth a look. The For Eyes near me only had one model of sport wrap-around frames.

Getting bifocal sunglasses was a huge improvement – now I don't have to get out my reading glasses to look at maps.

Lots of lens material options: http://www.foreyes.com/eyeglasses/lens-help.html

For Eyes often has specials or sales, so pay attention to their website or get on their mailing list.

I believe that if you get a scratch-resistent coating they have a scratch warrantee.

Also, the darkness of the dark-glasses is adjustable at the shop. They soak the glasses in something, so they can make them as dark as you want. I'm about to take mine back in to have them made darker.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Unfortunately [Zennioptical.com] doesn't make prescirption sun glasses."

Well, they made Rx brown polarized sunglasses and got them to my door in two weeks for a total of $45.

Build a bogus order: Click on Order for any frame.
    Choose "single vision".
    Input -1 for spherical in both eyes.
    Input 70 for a PD.
    Hit continue.

On the "Select Lens" page you will see the options for Tint and Polarized, among other things.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Zenni is where I get my prescription sun glasses for backpacking.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I wear Cocoons over my glasses. I know, I know, so does your grandmother. However, for your small frames, Cocoons makes an ubergroovy style that won't make you blush….much. Most importantly, Cocoons block sun from above and the side, and are polarized. Plus they block dirt and rain from from your real glasses.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Doh, I forgot to mention that For Eyes (or probably any optical store) will put lenses in whatever frame you bring in, you don't have to buy the frames from them. So if you've got a pair of sunglasses that fits, doesn't slide around your face, etc, then take them to For Eyes and have them put in the prescription lenses you need.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> On the "Select Lens" page you will see the options for Tint and Polarized
    And a comment that you can make sunglasses out of any scrip.

Thanks Greg for posting this!

Cheers

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Hey – thanks everybody for the references to Zenni Optical. I had never looked at buying glasses online, but now I'm ready to give it a try :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools