Topic

EE Rev Fabric Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EE Rev Fabric Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Thanks Tim, I didn't realize that 8D is now 10D. Good to know.

Mike Van
    BPL Member

@mike777

Would you elaborate a bit Tim? Though I'm not a through hiker I'm curious to know if a big enough piece of Tear-Aid wouldn't resolve most emergencies. Thanks!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Mike,

You're probably right. An adhesive repair should be fine on 10d. I'm thinking of dental floss sewing which would end up making it worse and expanding the damage most likely due to the thin nature of the fabric.

-Tim

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have Nobul sleeping bag lining. Used it about 20 nights. No problem yet. Very comfortable against skin.

But, it is very light so I think it would rip more easily than heavier fabric.

If you value light weight and are careful with your gear, it's probably fine. It might rip after a few years where heavier fabric would last longer. If you have dogs clawing it or rambunctious teenagers it might not be the best choice.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

One thing I like about EE is the features, that is pretty important to me.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Since I've been dogless for 10 years now, I wonder if the lighter material on the exterior and the next weight up on the inside since that is where all the abrasiion will be for me makes sense? You can still save a tiny bit of weight. I'd hate to start losing down unexpectly. I'll have all my info here soon, don't know if I'll go for three new pieces of gear this year or just a pack and either a quilt or tarp. After I get new glass' I can decide. Thanks for bearing with me Tim and all.
    Duane

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Duane, I'm not sure what kind of "abrasion" you're worried about. My dog's nails haven't ripped or scratched the 10D after waling across it a dozen times. I've not had any problems or concerns with the 10D, granted I haven't thru hiked with it either. Take reasonably good care of it and I don't think there's anything to worry about. I'm not saying I'd give it to one of my kids for a sleep over, but it's plenty tough for ultra light hikers.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

First, my apologies for commenting or throwing out so many questions, just wanting as much info as I can gather. I'm used to just buying off the shelf items and one of my bping friends says he is out of the loop on new stuff. My current summer, 7-8 day total pack weight is in the mid 20's, so I've gained some ground the last 8 years. The CA group I have done some trips with are not into UL or SUL, although they may have an item or two, Frank (60 something)is the closest. The last few years we all have done fewer trips together, so I don't have a UL person to bounce ideas off of. I was also going off of Tim's comment about not being suggested for thru hikers. If a thru hiker would use a quilt with the light material, I was thinking how long would it last me using the quilt for 20+ nights a year or so. Extrapalating (sp?) that over say 4-5 years, would it be worth my investment? If considered as a UL piece of gear that only has a limited life, that may be fine and what was to be expected like some of the cuben material bps.

Thanks Art, that helps, I've had a playful dog nip my 9 year? old Golite Coal jacket and put a small tear in it, do not know how that material compares to the 10D. I have to replace my silk liners about every 3 years as they get stretched out, I was thinking the 10D might be like the silk. Sounds more and more like 10D for a quilt inside and out is fine. I'm waiting for Tim to post his cuben quilt numbers, as I may only go for either a tarp or quilt.
    Fence sitter Duane

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi Duane, you have my sympathies as I am also somewhat of a fence sitter with these decisions and I'm also trying to decide which fabric to go with on an EE Revelation.

I emailed Tim and asked him about the relative strengths and water resistance of his fabrics. Here is what is told me:

Durability, least to most: Nb1, nb2, im1, im2, 30d

Water resistance, least to most: Nb1, im1, 30d, nb2, im2

So clearly 10D is going to be the most fragile, and IM2 would be fairly tough and quite water resistant. Then again, ancedotal evidence suggests that 10D is plenty tough as long as you are reasonably careful with it.

Full 10D would be the lightest and softest option (and comes in cool all black) but NB1/IM2 might be the more prudent choice for those of us who want a quilt that will last many seasons…

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools