Topic

EE Rev Fabric Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EE Rev Fabric Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Tim has been super helpful, but I'd like to have user input on two questions: 1) For a 3 season, 70-30 degree temp range quilt, is the feel of the 10d liner so much better that its worth considering, if I have the funds for a Rev over a RevX? 2) How does the does the green 15wr do with breathability in that same 70-30 degree temp range. Thanks in advance.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Any insights would be welcome, thanks.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

10d nobul1 and 10d nobul2 for me.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I have both a Rev 40F 8D/8D and a RevX 20F. While the 10D is certainly softer than the 30D, I find the 30D still pretty darn soft, don't forget that 30D is considered an ultralight fabric for the major manufacturers. Get a 30F quilt in either config and I think you'll be happy, Tim makes an excellent product. It really comes down to how much the few extra ounces matter to you.

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

Finally decided Rev was worth it.

30 degree w/1 overstuff
    Inside Color: Charcoal 10D NB 1,
    Outside Color: Black 10D NB 2

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm fence sitting on whether to get a regular Revelation (more weather resistant material), EE cuben quilt or hold off a year and just get a new, lighter pack and maybe a new shelter this year. Just got a reply from Tim, will be another two weeks for info on his cuben quilts.
    Duane

michael levi

@m-l

The lighter materials are definitley worth it imo. 30d is great for tents, not so much for a sleeping bag.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Couldn't agree more. I know a lot of people aren't bothered by the 30d, but for me the regular revelation is hands down far and above the revX in terms of feel. I have both – a 30 deg revelation and a 10 deg revX, but honestly I may end up selling the revX and getting a colder revelation next winter because I love the softer hand so much more.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Won't the 10D be cooler, letting wind thru, thus making you colder?
    Duane

michael levi

@m-l

The 10d NB2 has a more substantial coating (compared to NB1) so probably not. Im not sure though.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Doesn't seem like folks have gone for the 15 WR outer, anyone have experience with that, breathability wise?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

My revelation has that combo. It's a 30* with 30% overstuff (so rated about 25?). Seems pretty wind resistant yet fine in terms of breathability. I like it a lot so far…

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Thanks Jennifer, that's very helpful.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I got a great deal on a demo Borah cuben bivy with top netting, side zip, so my question now is, how down leakage resistant is the 10D? From the EE site, all 10D will save about 1.5 oz. I don't need the weatherproofness now with the bivy and soon to add a tarp maybe when I make up my mind on what size.
    Duane

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

I've had my rev with the 10d liner for a few months…using it a lot on the couch ;)

I've not seen ANY down leaking from the liner. I went with the slightly more resistant 15d for the shell because my 70# wet and muddy pup sleeps in the tent with me…and, well, you can just imagine.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you Jennifer. I miss having a dog. My current work situation does not allow me a dog.:(
    Duane

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I haven't seen any leakage from my 8D/8D 40F either. Tim makes a great quilt.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Oh man! I'm a Libra, you're not making this decision making easy for me.
    Duane

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Duane, just get the 10D, you'll never regret going as light as you could, but I've often regretted not just getting the lightest of something the first time around.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thanks Art.
    How strong is the 10D in comparison to? Say a silk liner. WM "Lite" series of down bags.
    Duane

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Seriously Duane…put your libra tendencies aside and just make the order. 10d/10d and settle in for the wait…then enjoy!! With the bivy you'll be super happy. Tim makes wonderful stuff…and his customer service rocks.

Heck, I might even loan you my shedding wet pooch for a while..just so you can see how safe you'll be…

Chuck in water

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Jennifer, the pack your dog carries looks familiar ;-)

Guinness at Jay Cooke

Duane, I can't speak specifically for the 10D as mine is 8D, but close enough me thinks. It's plenty strong, I have no worries that anything is going to happen to it with the proper care. But it's like any other piece of ultra light gear, take care of it and don't treat it like it's a $40 sleeping bag from Cabelas. My dog has "claimed" it a couple times for himself before I got in the tent and other than the dirt that needs to be wiped off, there's no problems from his nails, so that passes my test.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I will add only one thing on fabric durability. Though I trust and personally use 10d(formerly known as 8d, eightD, and now nobul) on all my quilts I don't recommend it for through hikers as the extended use and difficulty of field repair make it less desirable for that application.

-Tim

Aaron D
    Spectator

@ardavis324-2-2-2

//

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

You two are killing me with the dog pics.
    I've been patient so far, at least I think that may be my excuse. I have the money so that is not the issue, just hate making the wrong descision. Thank you for the hearty endorsement of those lighter fabrics. I had received a reply back from Tim the same night I sent him an email a few nights ago over when he would have info back up on his cuben quilts. I guess he does not sell that many and no one wants one until they are gone.:) Another reason I've been hedging, my WM Caribou bag weights 1.5 lbs., so a quilt at 20-21 oz. was not much incentive to move forward. However, if I can get something down to 18 oz. or less, maybe I'd go ahead, plus I'm thinking the bivy may enable me to get a over stuffed 40 degree bag which could take me to the 30's which is what I really need for the Sierra in the summer and may be warm enough to the upper 20's with the bivy. I think those lighter fabrics would get me under 18 oz., but I hate the expense of what a cuben quilt will run from him. I'll hang in there for a few more weeks until he gets his cuben quilt up so I can run some numbers. If it takes a month to get a quilt, I have plenty of time for Spring bping, I'm enjoying my snowcamping with my old stoves for now. Don't want to get caught in the thru hikers rush for gear.
    Duane

PS: I also recieved a reply from Matt at ZPacks, for the size of quilt and temp rating, he told me around 17.5 +-, so if Tim has the same, a big savings in money to get the Revelation with the 8D.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools