Topic

C. Crane CC Pocket radio

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) C. Crane CC Pocket radio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like to listen to AM or FM radio while backpacking. In the wilderness the signals are very weak so you need the best radio.

I tried Grundig and Countycomm but the reception isn't so good.

I've used Sony SRF-M37W for years and it's good, but iy has no speaker.

I just bought the new CC Pocket radio. It first became available a month ago. $60. 5.7 ounces is sort of heavy. Lasts for 100 hours with 2400 mAH batteries. 2 AA.

When I was on West side of Olympic Peninsula, I could barely get the CBC station from Vancouver. CC Pocket was a little better than the Sony. You can set the AM bandwidth to narrow which makes it work a little better – rejects noise more.

That radio is really well designed with lots of details, like the buttons are recessed so they don't accidentally get pushed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nice people work there too. They are 3 blocks away from my house. If anyone wants something looked at, let me know,

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

For those interested, the C. Crane SW Pocket Radio is 4.75" W x 3" H x 1.2" D and weighs 6.5oz (I assume without the AA's)

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/ccradio-swp.aspx#prodDetails

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That looks like a nicely featuredcradio. Adding a speaker is big weight hit. Remember that most AM radios are using an internal ferrite bar for an antenna, so the position of the radio makes a big difference with weak signals.

I'm a fan of the tiny headphone radios. The Sangean DT-120 has become my go to daily portable. It has digital tuning and presets and shuts off in 90 minutes, saving battery life when I fall asleep listening to it. The on button needs to be held in for a couple seconds, lessening accidental power on and it shuts off if the headphones aren't plugged in. The Sony SRF-84 is my favorite hiking radio, with sensitive analog tuning and it is tiny and light.

I want to try a Sony ICF-S10MK2 pocket radio. It has a speaker and you can buy one go $10-$12.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I would be interested in a good-quality AM/FM and WX pocket radio that uses two AAA batteries. Something like this Crane radio or the Sangean DT-400W, but using AAA. Know of any decent ones?

Or, heck, if you can think of a minature like the DT-120 without a speaker (earbuds only) that gets WX and uses AAA that'd work, too.

I really want the WX reception, otherwise what's the point?

I found the Sony SRF-M37W, but it only uses one AAA so the battery life is 40 hours- a little short.

What does the hive mind think of the Sangean DT-300VW?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Dean,

You do know you're allowed to carry a spare AAA, don't you?

Seriously though, if you need more than 80hrs of radio for a trip, I'm very jealous.

Rod

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Dean, I have been using the SRF-M37W for years. As good as reception as anything else, except maybe the new CC Pocket is slightly better.

My only complaint is not speaker, but if just headphones are good, then I would just use it.

Probably 72 hours on one AAA NiMh. You are inviting sarcastic comments like "you know, you could always carry a spare AAA battery which weighs very little". I need to work on my sarcasm…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Sony made the SRF-M80V AM/FM/TV/Weather Armband style radio that uses two AAA batteries.

See http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=SRFM80V&LOC=3&session_id=8ed2ba5b40915c998c1ad021133a88a1#/manualsTab

I have one— if you are interested send me a PM.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"You do know you're allowed to carry a spare AAA, don't you?"

Gee, really ?!?! Gosh, I was too dumb to think of that…

Sarcasm back at ya. :)

"Seriously though, if you need more than 80hrs of radio for a trip, I'm very jealous."

Well, it's not about how much operating life I need for one trip, it's more about that it's annoying to change the battery often. I wouldn't after all, ONLY use it for hiking.

BUT if as you all are saying the battery life is more like 75 hours than the listed 40 hours, then that changes things. Especially since, realistically, I might fire it up for only a few hours a day. Plus, it'll be lighter. I'll have to think about how important a speaker is to me.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I agree, carrying spare battery is inconvenient

I would think most people wouldn't think speaker was important – which says that Sony is great

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

If you have battery operated toys, carrying a spare battery seems to be part of the game. I try to get all my toys on the same battery type to help with that, particularly for mission critical stuff like lighting; if your radio or MP3 player quits, it's hardly life threatening.

40 hours from a AAA sounds good to me; 75 would be fantastic. Using small headphones will save power, even on a radio with a speaker. Get a radio with an auto shutoff or sleep function if you listen to it when you go to bed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools