Topic

Where’s Hendrik?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Where’s Hendrik?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Corollary to that must be that failure is not bad. And that's progress?"

It must be a Finnish cultural thing.

–B.G.–

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Should I feel dirty?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Bob,

I think Hendrik is German.

Dave T

@davet

Hmmm Bob. Let's get that thinking cap on. Does Hendrik Morkel seem like a Finnish name?

He's half Dutch / half German, apparently.

(Though he could use a healthy dose of sisu to get on with fulfilling his promises and commitments.)

p.s. Ken, I'd broadcast that refund offer to The Four Winds.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob, learn before you speak."

Dave, he is supposedly responsible for Hiking in Finland. That is what I referred to. Don't insult the Dutch and the Germans.

–B.G.–

Dave T

@davet

Right. You broadly demean Finnish culture, I factually point out the specific heritage of one person. Usual Gross business.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Dave T

@davet

Bob made a negative comment about Finnish culture, based on the actions of one person, (who isn't even Finnish in the first place, regardless of your interesting lecture on the EU). That's not cool. Do you think it is? Why take a discussion of the failures of a single person and see it as chance to make a throw-away insult about a whole country of people?

Anyway, this is about Hendrik (a person) and his failure to follow through on a project, for which we took money and promised deliverables which are grossly overdue.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob made a negative comment about Finnish culture"

Dave, find that text and then explain in detail what is negative.

–B.G.–

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Hendrik guides very little and based on his adverts this year has taken very few people on trips – and cancelled trips advertised. He is also not paid to test gear. Read his blog statements.

From HIF

"Do manufacturers and shops buy positive reviews?
    As I said above, I am 100% independent and do not write a positive review if I don’t think the item deserves it. There’s also no money involved if I write a review, although the gear might be sponsored. The advertising space on the right helps me to run the website but has no influence on the content"

That and the the little backpacking he does makes your point Miguel not add up to a valid argument. He has also altered comments on his blog to cover up gear and skill claims we have called him on. The myth is he is out all the time doing big walks as a guide. He does little in the way of backpacking. Read his trip reports for the year.

He has undoubted talents and skills, and in some fields is a authority and paid consultant. But that is not the discussion here nor his ethnic origins, or current nationality which matter not.

What matters is his handling of the A-Z and how he got people to fund it promising that it paid for his time to go film it. He has not fulfilled that what he asked the funding to pay for.

He took the money and has not delivered.

Also others have steeped forward sharing other things he has been up to and expressing their disgust at his conduct.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Hello admins,

is there anybody out there who could stop Martin Rye's spam answers. Meanwhile I'm really bored and I think others too.

I can understand that he is unsatisfied and everything else, but a reminder every too days is annoying.

Instead of copy and paste HIF passages, go out in to the nature and enjoy the the beautiful nature.

This text was written with a bit anger and sarcasm.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Martin Rye's spam answers"

I agree with Martin Rye's posts. Benjamin are you not friends with Hendrik? If you know him personally, maybe you could have some influence.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Nice try Bob. Failed, but nice try.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Thanks Ken,

As we know Benjamin is a mate of Hendrik. Its looking more a case of deflection from the questions raised here and the lack of answers from Hendrik again. After all the German UL forum was badged to censure a debate on this subject according to my source. Seems a case of it worked there – so lets try it again.

Benjamin we again ask where has the money gone?

Hendrik has been paid to film the A-Z as he asked for that in his kickstarter appeal.

This year he updated us saying it will be done by the end of August. Now he says he cant say when. Odd as he costed, and planned his video production schedule for the Kickstarter appeal, and updated that plan this year when he announced the end of August plan.

Or is it a case he cannot go and schedule a 2 weeks of hard filming of the A-Z to get them done – as he cannot afford to do so?

As we have asked where is the money?

After all if he has the funds he has the time paid to go make the videos. So why is this such an issue?

He also told us they take longer than planned to make right. Now we see he can film while doing 10h of climbing in a day. So he should find it easy with a 10h dedicated day of filming to catch up would you not agree? Unless he was not filming and the photo was to simply deflect attention on his update? After all we asked for clarity on this – yet again no answers.

So lots of questions and no answers.

Peace and kindness to you.

David Ure

@familyguy

I don't know Hendrik personally, but this is getting to a libellous point. It appears that he will refund money if asked. So ask.

It would be nice if this thread would " Finnish"…..

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

No one is doing anything more than asking questions to a person who keeps giving no answers to the questions asked. Nothing more.

Simple fact David 2 years ago he was funded on the appeal for $10,000 US to film the A-Z and time after time has not kept to the commitments he made. We ask why? the answers are less than conclusive.

Public appeal = public accountability.

David Ure

@familyguy

I agree he should be accountable (I believe BPL should be as well) but he is not responding on this 5 page thread so perhaps action outside of these forums is warranted.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

haha,

Miguel are you so anxious to coach your fellow, less cultured, American friends that you forget (or just don't have time) to ensure you place a perceived generalization into context before passing judgment on it.
    BC you chose to ignore the readily available context clues you formed a poorly rationalized emotional opinion which led to a superfluous, scolding, spiel, which in and of itself appears to highlight a generalization you have formed about your fellow, less cultured, American friends.

The real humor here is Dave was addressing a literal cultural generalization.

It seems we really all could learn a little from each other.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

New episode now up

Realized only MLIFE could likely see that thread. So go to https://vimeo.com/72189645 – and the password is Kickstarter (case sensitive)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

No, Miguel, you weren't addressing me anymore than Dave was addressing you.

I didn't say you made a generalization or were stereotyping American culture, just that it certainly appears you hold a negative stereotypical opinion, based on you posting style (here and in other instances). I believe you can tell something about someone's point of view by the topics they choose to engage in and by their tack/tone in these conversations.

Even if Dave wasn't replying to another poster, your chastising post was (IMO) a gross overreaction.

Look, I don't want to get into a back and forth. If my impression is off the mark then at least you now how things can seem at this end of the screen.

Dave T

@davet

nm.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools