Topic

REI Flash 45 First Impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Flash 45 First Impressions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm hoping to check one out in the local REI soon.

I'm not sure I need one but I view it as an "idiot proof" pack for the average Joe. I'm guessing it will carry as much weight as a Golite Jam (probably more) with a lower price and easier packing (no virtual frames to mess with). That makes it very attractive as a pack I can recommend to hikers who aren't gear geeks like me.

Here is my "Idiot Proof" list for a lightweight hiker

1. REI Flash 45 or Exos 46
    2. Big Anges Fly Creek 1 or MLD Duomid
    3. Any sub 2 pound down mummy bag.
    4. Short length Prolite pad

Add in odds and ends and you could have a 10-11 pound baseweight with no special "Ultralight" skills required. I love how UL hiking is becoming more accessible.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

Can anyone speak to whether the size large torso is fit for someone with a 32" waist? I know the specs say 34"+

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I found some time to try one on today, and to my surprise, the large actually fit my waist. This is the first large of any pack that has actually fit this well in the torso AND waist. (21.5 torso, 32 waist)

I loaded it up with my gear, plus ~12 lbs. to simulate consumables, and it was incredibly comfortable. I think I had about 28 lbs. in it. Between 20 and 28 lbs, I could tell the pack was bulging a little more (none at 20 lbs), but after putting it on and tightening the load, it wasn't really noticeable. I think this pack, as already mentioned, is a great step in the direction of lightweight backpacking from a major manufacturer. Certainly not the lightest, though.

The front pocket fit my tarp and bivy incredibly well, the top lid held my rain jacket and wind jacket, while the body of the pack was plenty spacious for my quit, pad, small items, and a load of winter clothes. There was room to spare (not much) for food in the end. So for a guy like me, just getting started and on a tight budget, this pack is a win all around. I can imagine a summer load would offer a lot of room for consumables.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm checking out packs to use as my first ultralight pack for weekends and I picked up a Flash 45 from my local REI yesterday. In the store, the Exos 46 (which I had been planning on getting) dug into my lower back – bummer because I like Ospreys a lot. Anyway, I carried the Flash around the store and it felt good so I took it home to play around with. I just did about 2.5 miles with it loaded to just over 30 lbs, and it carried very well. I found the hip belt especially to be quite supportive. I wouldn't say it's the best load transfer I've ever used, but I was trying to max it out to see how it handled and after my short walk I was not getting any soreness. I haven't modified anything yet (don't know if I'm keeping it) but there looks to be tons of loops and straps that could be removed. Overall I like the organization as well, it looks well thought and like most REI stuff, it will please most people most of the way, but will be a perfect pack for only some. Certainly the proof in the pudding would be how it feels after a 20 mile day rather than a 2 mile day, but I thought this might be useful for anyone considering it.

Looking forward to getting a 50L Jam and comparing the two, as that's the other pack that I've been considering.

If anyone is considering ordering one but doesn't live near an REI, shoot me a PM and I will answer what I can and send pics of any details on the pack that you want.

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

My girlfriend bought this pack to replace her lady's arcteryx bora. Her last big step in ultralightyness. Her gear fit great with a 11 # base weight. We did 22 miles out at Eagle Creek and she said it fit and felt great. Especially liked that the shoulder and sternum straps didn't mash her lady parts.

There is a retarded amount of extra straps to be trimmed on this pack and we're going to be doing that in the next few weeks. The floating lid also doesn't cover the opening of the bag all that great, but that's why we use trash compactor liners right?

One of the best parts of this pack is the price. As an rei item you can get a 15% discount if you register for their gear email stuff. She paid $105 for it with free shipping.

-Loki

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Folks,

How are people getting on with this pack? I am looking at it replace a Six Moons Designs Swift that I had fit issues with.

I already have a Flash 62 in medium and from speaking with REI the fit is the same so I know that will work, of course if I don't like it I can bring it back.

Between the 20% off and my dividend I can get it for practically free, but the vouchers runs out tonight.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edit: Just ordered one

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Could anyone with a Large post a torso length measurement? (base of back panel to mid point between shoulder straps)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

David if I'm at REI I'll try and measure one for you.

From the specs you'd think it has an internal frame but its really not stiff at all. Its really more like a frameless pack.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Finally got around to using the Flash 45 on a quick overnight, I must say I am well impressed with it.

How are folks getting on with theirs?

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I really liked the Flash 45, although I went with the Pinnacle 35. I think the construction and layout on the entire Flash line is great, and they're definitely worth the money. I loaded a 45 with 25-27 lbs of gear and the pack was easy to adjust and carry around the store for a half hour or so. Because I dislike mesh pockets, and don't carry water bottles outside my pack, the Flash had features I didn't need. I prefer the panel loading of my Pinnacle, and it has one large waterproof pocket with drainholes perfect for a wet tarp or rain jacket. Having a smaller pack forces me to choose my gear more carefully. However, when I start planning a longer walk the Flash 45 will be on my short list for sure.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

Just finished some 85ish miles on the TRT (ended up coming home early) in a little over 3 days using the Flash 45. I'd have to say that overall, I liked it a lot. I packed pretty light (tarp and bivy, etc.) but carried 7 days of food with me as well as 2 liters of water at all times, so over the course of the trip the total pack weight didn't dip below 24 pounds.

I found the pack comfortable and easy to live out of. The floating lid with two pockets (one on the top, one on the bottom) made stowage of often-used items easy — especially onces that I didn't want to chance falling out of the back mesh pocket like my map or phone/wallet. The main compartment was large enough for my quilt/bivy/pad/clothing/food, although it was packed to the brim and bulged a bit on the first day of hiking. Fortunately, it is easy to compress; one strap connects the back mesh pocket to the top of the bag near the haul loop and can be tightened; there are two additional side straps that can be used to compress the pack, as well as attach things to (drying clothes, etc.). Not once did I feel that the delrin rods collapsed or gave in due to being over packed.

The only thing I didn't like was how the mesh pocket got really tight if the pack was full. I was able to fit a 1-liter platypus bottle on side of the pack, but had to take the pack off to put them back in.

Anybody have any other questions about the pack?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools