Topic

Idle wondering: why no short/wide pads?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Idle wondering: why no short/wide pads?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

There is enough talk floating around about shortening the large sized neoairs that I would think there'd be a market segment for shorter pads in a wider width. The only stock model I know of, though, is the Neoair Trekker large torso size, which at 25"x48" would be a nearly full sized pad for me since I sleep on my side curled up. Surely I can't be the only one whose normal sleeping position leaves my bum and knees hanging off a regular-width pad (and a lot of wasted surface area at the bottom of the pad). What pads would you like to see offered in short/wide sizes?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I totally agree! The only NeoAir I've kept is the short original, which is barely wide enough for this side sleeper to fit on in my normal sleeping position. The newer X-Lite version is just too X-Narrow!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

There has been much debate on this from time to time. CD knows. They just ain't worried about it apparently.

Its like the meaning of life… "it just is"

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Luckily, the Trekker is a good pad.

-M

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Exactly!! I mean really, while not the skinniest person in the world, I always always always have body parts off the sides of my pad. One of the reasons I liked the big Agnes sleep system is that it kept me enclosed and prevented that, but I've since made the move to quilts and have no desire to go back.

I was debating just going for the huge LW and the associated size and weight penalty just to avoid the side sleeper nightmare of butt-n-knees-off-the-pad syndrome.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

My ProLite Plus could stand a little widening.

I'd love to see one in 25" wide x 48" long x 1.5" thick.

I've never been crazy about the elbows in the shoes trick.

As a stop gap measure I'd suggest…

…pockets could be sewn into the sleeves of a long sleeve shirt. Pieces of a CCF pad could be inserted into the pockets to "insulate" ones elbows.

Party On,

Newton

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One reason is that the default width is assumed to be about (about, OK?) 52 cm (20.5"), and a lot of tent groundsheets are designed on this assumption. Start in with 25" mats and you won't get two of them into a 2-man tent any more. Not good for sales.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Many people are more than 20" wide. Where did that standard dimension come from anyway. As a result of fabric width available for tents? Just has always seemed like a weird dimension.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Jennifer,
    Definitely not just you! What quilts are you using? I tried to get away with a regular width from Enlightened Equipment, but much as I want to love it, I've been forced to admit it's not working for me. I'm looking at Zpacks as a potential future purchase, although I really like that EE offers Climashield models. Maybe Tim can make me an custom wide.

Ken,
    I imagine it comes from the same ergonomics studies that determine the height of chairs and width of airline seats and such. It does seem like an arbitrary choice, though, given that I've never met a single person who actually sleeps motionless on their back the entire night like the optmistic little tent diagrams always suggest.

Jason, that is what I plan to do with a Neoair All-season when I put together a ground setup. For now I use a hammock, which conveniently lets me sidestep the dilemma. ;)

I wish I weren't limited to the Neoair (though I'm sure it'll work out satisfactorily). I think I'd like to see some Exped mats in s/w dimensions. Many people speak highly of the comfort of Synmats and Downmats.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Spelt!:
    Currently I have one of the EE revelations…in wide. It's great, no problems with drafts…until I get off the pad!! Someone posted earlier about attaching two pads together, then clipping the quilt onto the pad. Looks exactly like what might help me…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=69689

Before making the switch to quilts I used the big Agnes system where you slide the pad into a thin sleeve under the bag. I sincerely loved that combo in colder temps because it kept me on the pad…always. It was, however, too restricting in that I couldn't bend my knees. Ever. Between that and the weight I tried quilts. Now I want the best of both…

So anyway, I've ordered the pieces and will try my hand at making a single pad attachment system like the one above…see if that works.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

My first pad was a neoair large and at 24 inches it is barely wide enough. I modified my first neoair a year and a half ago cutting a long to fit my 6 year old daughter. I would carry both sometimes for comfort. I was trying to figure out how to take the other half of the one I cut and make wings for my shoulders. If someone made a pad shaped like a T or t I would buy it in a hot second. If my shoulders are not supported I will wake up in pain. I purchased a Exped Synmat UL Lw and it is an improvement the larger outside baffles and the extra two inches are fantastic. My favorite pad is the Exped Mega mat I spent the night on one last night at 20 degrees it is almost as comfortable as my bed. The thing is huge but it is the most comfortable pad by a long shot. I have dreams of taking it hiking but thats ridiculous or is it?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

That looks like an interesting solution, but then you'd be carrying two pads, no? Or do you have a regular hiking partner who wouldn't mind sharing? I have a BA bag I use as a top quilt in my hammock. It's nice that the entire amount of insulation is lofted above you, but (again, due to my rolling around and general sleep position) I find that there can be gaps between top and under quilts. I'm thinking of stuffing the pad sleeve on the BA and converting it into a peapod for 360 degree insulation.

…I think I just derailed my own ground pad thread by talking about hammocks…

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

I have a huge pad from Stoic that I keep in the car for car camping and anytime I wind up sleeping on someone's floor. I don't think I could bear to take it hiking though! Thing probably weighs 4 pounds, but it is ridiculously comfortable.

I wouldn't mind carrying a lighter weight long/wide pad if I weren't 5'4''. That's just comical.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

too bad Bender's business went down in flames- he was willing to make whatever you wanted for a reasonable price

I'd love to have both a Neoair and Xtherm in a 25 x 65-ish size, I'm too much of a pu$$y to cut one up though :)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

An inflatable pad that is too wide is a heat sink.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools