Topic

Feathered Friends light-weight jackets are no longer made in USA!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Feathered Friends light-weight jackets are no longer made in USA!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ah, Harald, you do make me chuckle a lot, a bit of unintended humor to brighten my day. Thanks. And thanks for being BPL's very own Sheldon Cooper. We missed having one of our very own."

Chuckle my a$$, ROTFL. But give poor Harald a break, Doug. It ain't easy slumming with a bunch of mental midgets when he could be engaged in high level discussions of epistemology and metaphysics with the great minds of the Western World.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Hah. Honestly, I'd rather drop it than berate the guy. I appreciate the support, but it's not a big deal.

He got on my nerves calling me out and judging me, but I'm not about to laugh at him the same way. Harald can do as he pleases; I wouldn't mock him. Good vibes, people. ;)

I would, however, like to hear some more perspective from people who shop exclusively domestic, since I'm sure they're out there (and on this forum).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I would, however, like to hear some more perspective from people who shop exclusively domestic, since I'm sure they're out there (and on this forum)."

Are you talking strictly about backpacking gear? That would be exceptionally difficult if you're talking about everything, including clothes. My two shelters and all of my quilts are cottage, domestic. My down jacket and pants as well. Not sure about the socks. One of my windjackets is, the other is not. Rain jacket is not. Hiking shirt and pants are not. Shoes are not.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Somewhat the same for me, although my sleeping bags are not domestic. My shelter is.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

what gets me aint that stuff is made in whatever slave shop country …

its these "brands" who keep charging $$$$$ for their stuff despite having lower costs and not passing it on to the consumer … they can yap about quality this and that all they want, but at the end of the day there IS a cost savings …

at least wallymart is up front about "we buy in china, but then well pass you the savings" … unlike dead bird, patagucci and whoever else

you want to justify sending work there … pass me the savings

its that simple ;)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Damn Eric, you're harsh. I thought that if a company like Patagonia joined "1% for the Planet" and put a recycling box in the store it didn't matter if their products were made in China and still cost a small fortune.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I learn a lot from these threads.
    I had no idea that FF make single malt whiskey.
    O well, L'Chaim

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I had no idea that FF make single malt whiskey."

Of course you didn't. They don't sell it down under, they only sell it where people appreciate something more than beer….

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I like supporting American-made products as much as the next person, but it isn't always possible once demand ramps up.

If you don't like it or support it, don't buy it. As simple as that.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

OK so you XXX was made in America, but it MADE in the USA or just constructed here? Does this count?

Is your Cuben an American fabric? as in- from a room full of chemicals to your tarp?

My guess is no.

But it is a guess.

FWIW I split the difference and buy my insulation from Montbell
    (Prolly "Made in Japan" from Chinese textiles)

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"I would, however, like to hear some more perspective from people who shop exclusively domestic, since I'm sure they're out there (and on this forum)".

Are you referring to backpacking gear or in all aspects of life? I'm not exclusive but my pack, bag, pad, tent, stakes, down jkt, and filter are US made. The stove I use most is MYOG as is my poncho, wind jkt, stuff sacks, knife sheath, sun hat, chaps. My base/wicking layers are primarily thrift store finds…mostly made abroad, I'm guessing. My other stove and Ti pot and spork are Japanese…I have a Swiss made filter, Spanish knife, Canadian pants, and Chinese shoes and poles. I'm sure I'm missing stuff. The irony is that most of the materials the US stuff is made from is likely from abroad.

Re your other post, good on you for having no car. That takes some real commitment! I don't have it. I'm still driving a Mazda truck I purchased new in 87…and have a 95 VW van for traveling (58 mph). I use the truck for hauling salvaged wood and such. Locally, I walk and ride my bicycle a lot…for grocery runs, etc. I have a dual-sport motorcycle (73 mpg) for longer distance errands and getting to some remote trail-heads.

While I'm at it, suppose I should put-up or shut-up too. For a general snapshot: I compost everything that's biodegradable (recently featured in local paper) and use a scythe instead of a gas mower and trimmer. Except for a few of the nuts we consume, everything else my family of 3 eats is 100% organically grown. We belong to a local CSA and grow a lot of our own. On less than 1/4 acre, I have 50+ fruit trees and berry bushes and countless wild edibles in addition to more conventional veggies. We store food by canning and dehydrating. Our landscape is an edible forest garden also cooling our home (no AC) with 1/4 of it watered with a greywater system. I flush my toilet w/ my shower water and pee in my compost and yard at every chance. I use rainwater harvesting techniques via small earthworks and heat our home w/ 100% salvaged wood slated for the landfill. Built my shop w/ 60% salvaged materials, make my own paints/finishes from natural materials, and volunteer at the local college and grade school teaching primitive skills and wild plant identification. I blend in life lessons and awareness at every chance! Most of my families clothes come from thrift stores. We own everything…house, cars, land. Have no debt. Buy little. Recycle. Pull valuables from dumpsters. Share excess food. Live simply. I try for "right lively hood" by doing Permaculture consulting…teaching others how to compost, design for passive solar heating/natural building, use greywater, make natural finishes, grow food, etc. I make little money. I write every chance I get in various mediums, about food, chemicals and general clean living advocacy… planting seeds…have a FB page and website w/ links, how-to's, etc, etc.

I could go on but don't wanna be an ostentatious bore. I do think these threads are important for discussion though. I'm far from perfect but try to bring awareness and lead by example more than anything. Looking forward to warmer temps, flowing waters, and snow-free trails. Peace!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Rusty and Max,

You two should collaborate on a BPL story on sustainable living. I think many members here would love such a story. I know I would!

Brent Firestone

@bfirestone

Spoke with Feathered Friends and all I want to do is purchase a down jactet is that okay or will I be destroying our great earth?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Feathered Friends are OK. It's those Feathered Fiends that you have to watch out for, Look up!

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

This is Judy from LightHeart Gear.

When LightHeart Gear first got started I was making all the tents myself – I needed better (bigger) production help, I tried to find someplace here in the States that would manufacture the tents for me. Either the quality of the work was so horrible that I didn't want my name associated with it, or the minimums were 5 – 10 thousand tents. As a small company, I certainly don't have the money to front for 10,000 tents, nor do I want that sort of stock sitting in my basement (essentially money on the shelf). I also don't want that many tents – it was a new product, I had no idea how well it would sell. The only choice I could find at the time was to send it to China where I was able to get just a couple of hundred tents made – for less than the US companies were charging. Companies that were used to working with silnylon, companies who's entire business was making tents – specialization.

Fast forward a few years, I've gotten to know many of the other small cottage gear makers, and we were all in the same boat – needing help with production on a small scale, and not finding it here in the States. So, being that I come from a sewing and design background, (and most of the others don't) I have decided to solve the problem. In October of 2012, I started a new company, Excelsior Sewing LLC, I do production sewing in small batches – you want only 10 items made – no problem – I am now sewing for 5 or 6 small gear makers, as well as other outdoor products – not backpacking related. I say "I' am sewing – I personally, hardly touch a machine anymore, I've got other qualified people sewing for me.

Feel free to spread the word – if you know anyone who needs small production sewing. I have a great shop set up here in Asheville, NC.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Judy, congrats on the new LLC!

Have you moved production of your tents to this new business?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I think that's a great idea, Judy. The South is full of layer off textile workers. My town is the headquarters of Fruit of the Loom. We no longer manufacture underwear but there are loads of mostly women with tons of sewing expiencefrom the days when we made underwear. You may have a similar pool there. I would think they would be perfect for this low volume work.

Marc Penansky
    BPL Member

@marcpen

Locale: Western NC

Yes, the production of all LightHeart Gear tents will now be made by Excelsior Sewing. I still have some stock of the tents made in China, when they are sold out – never again. I am committed to do what ever it takes to keeping the production here, and to help other small companies keep their products made here as well.

You can contact Excelsior Sewing at – judy @ excelsiorsewing. com (remove the spaces) 828-333-0489

Chase Norton

@micronorton

Simply incredibly Judy! Great idea!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Good on you, Judy!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Great news Judy! Best of luck to your new venture.

Ryan

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Ashvegas is a great town for such a venture.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

And +1 to the following:

I agree with Max, on pretty much everything he wrote. Not that it matters, but it's nice to have someone put it so well.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am going to buy the best product I can, based on my budget. I am not going to buy an American made product just to be patriotic, but I prefer to buy American. Function and quality come first.

A few years ago I was in the market for some new leather boots. My Danner Mountain Lights were over 20 years old. The new Danner models had Gore-Tex linings, which I did not want. I could have my old Danners completely rebuilt by Danner for the cost of a new boot. But I was concerned that they would damage the Cambrelle linings and replace them with Gore-tex.

So I started my research. Seems that the old familiar brands I had known from my youth were now mostly made in China. And the reviews I read from people who had owned previous models that had once been made in Europe or America were not stellar. Most complained about quality. Now this is not necessarily the fault of the Chineese, the manufacturer's determine how they want the product made. But I wanted no part of these inferior boots – compared to what used to be made.

So I narrowed my search down to two brands. Custom made Limmers or German made Lowas. The Limmers were more than my budget, but I seriously considered them until I found out the waiting list was several years.

For the most part, the reviews for the Lowas were stellar, they were made in Germany, AND the price was comparable to what the Chineese made brands were charging.

I bought a pair of Lowa Banff's. Excellent boots. But, alas, I have moved on to trail runners. I ocassionally wear the Lowas. Most of the time they reside in a place of honor in my closet next to my old Danners, my old Pivettas, my patent leather dress shoes and my tuxedo.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools