Topic

Solo Death Valley Trek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I know that life happens, people get injured, etc etc so I'm not all that worried about the delay but a little communication would go a long way.

Dave T

@davet

Estimated delivery was April 2013. It's now headed into August. (That said, it did seem like a pretty short schedule to do the hike and put together a credible video.)

His Facebook has one Delorme post from his first campsite, and pictures from what I assume are Eureka Dunes, Zabriskie Point, and somewhere else. And then it shows him seakayaking and hiking (and napping) in Hawaii. If I were him, I'd include one picture of me editing a film on a computer. Hope it's not another Henrik.

p.s. I'm pretty interested in some of his route, especially up in the Panamints, so I hope he does come through. As always, a little (or any?) communication goes a long way. He sure was communicated when he was hustling for money… funny how that works.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

Donation requested for walk and video: $0. Availability: Now. Video

Written account

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Maybe he is still in Death Valley."

Now that would be a movie – kind of like the original Bare Witch Project – except possibly more expensive to make. They could find the tapes, er..flash drive, along the side of the road.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"the original Bare Witch Project"

The 1999 movie was the Blair Witch Project. The Bare Witch appeared in Playboy magazine.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Ha Ha, now that was a Freudian mistake if every I saw one. Actually I have a thing for bare witches – especially the (nearly bare) fictional one Serafina Pekkala.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ahem.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

And now you know why I am such a BIG Kickstarter fan/advocate. Besides, reading Buck's Desert Trail trip report is one of the best reads in a long time anyway.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

BTW for anyone who's donated to a project through Kickstarter, they had a security breech recently and highly recommend that you change your password.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Obviously this one case of possible fraud clearly indicates that Kickstarter is simply out to screw people over.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Obviously this one case of possible fraud clearly indicates that Kickstarter is simply out to screw people over."

When I donated to the Death Valley project, I understood that there was a chance that I'd never see the videos, and I didn't. Oh well.

I wouldn't have a problem backing another one in the future if the person/s were offering something I'd be interested in seeing or owning. $15 is about the maximum I'd be willing to spend on a feature length movie.

Dave T

@davet

Not sure if one makes a trend, but this one was the second of two Kickstarter items on BPL of late. The Hendrik situation got a number of folks pretty (rightfully) wound up, and this one is apparently a full joke. The guy begs for cash for his big plans, posted one picture of his first night in camp, and then no other communication, besides his facebook showing him back in Hawaii napping. I know it's patronage, or a donation, or whatever… but I'm more on the side with Nick that it's a lot closer to fraud. At least in some cases. That's not anti-Kickstarter per se, just anti people using Kickstarter to get cash and not follow through on a promise, contract, whatever you want to call it.

Appears that Ken called it correctly right off the bat. "Nice way to fund a vacation."

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Fraud implies intent.

I think what we are seeing here is initial enthusiasm and then lack of commitment after the fact, i.e., "It got old fast and I'm bored. And by the way, the money is spent".

Kickstarter is designed as an investment opportunity. Due diligence is required if you are funding something and hoping for a return on that investment. Otherwise, I suggest looking at it as a "donation", and then no whining if there are surprises.

If you think you'll get a return on the vicarious enjoyment of someone's vacation DVD, have at it.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"If you think you'll get a return on the vicarious enjoyment of someone's vacation DVD, have at it."

Yeah well I'm going to watch Marky Mark the Navy Seal tonight so there's something to be said for being easily entertained.

Dave T

@davet

"Due diligence is required if you are funding something and hoping for a return on that investment."

How does that due diligence happen? Chase outlines his plans, promises a whole set of different physical items for different chunks of cash, takes the money, goes on the trip, and is never heard from again. Do you review his proposal ahead of time? Do you ask for regular updates when they don't come? Do you fly to Hawaii where you can find him working on his next video outdoor project (check his Facebook)?

I guess when I say "give me $7000 in exchange for these specific items", I would feel like it was a fradulent promise if I made no apparent effort to deliver. "I'm bored, onto the next thing, money is spent" is pretty bad. I'm agree that's what's going on here, but it doesn't excuse Chase in any way. He seems like a "way rad" young "adventure dude" out to "inspire others of their possibilities" and isn't thinking much about anything after the fact.

Anyway, I'm outta this one.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

There have been more than a few projects mentioned here in the last few years. Some have panned out. A quick search shows…

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/search.html?q=kickstarter&x=-1114&y=-92

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

It seems to me, just the tone of Chase Norton's appeal should have raised red flags–very heavy on the marketing and ego, very light on demonstrated hiking experience.

Having said that, I think Kickstarter can be a valid platform for this sort of thing. If Norton had already completed the hike and principle photography, and was asking for funds to complete the film (editing, score, DVD burning, etc), that would have been a much more credible request.

That he was promising a completed film to backers (and hadn't included post-production costs in his budget) should have raised more red flags.

Anonymous
    Inactive

went broke underestimating the American public. ;0)

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just learned about this kickfrauder campaign by Chase Norton. I think it’s scandalous that he can take thousands of dollars from people and not actually produce anything, and there is no recourse. It seems like this should run more or less as a contract – you provide me with X, and I give you Y by a certain date.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools