Topic

StarLyte Burner With Cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals StarLyte Burner With Cap

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I ordered one to use on my last trip with my GVP Caldera setup. I loved the thing so much I just bought two more for some of my other systems. I'll use them as staples in my .9L Evernew sidewinder setup and a new MLD 475 setup I'm having TD work on. They may be a little slower but I love them.

Dan – please don't discontinue this one! I think you have a real winner given its size, weight and fuel storage. One of the main complaints of the 12-10 stove is that they are kind of big and bulky. Yours is able to do the same thing at about half the size and save the leftover fuel.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

I agree with the last post. The Starlyte is such a fine piece of gear that I love it. It packs in my Evernew .6 with the TrailDesigns Titanium sidewinder cone. Perfect size! Saves room in my pack, uses less fuel, stores unused fuel, what's there not to live about it?

Great work on this one Dan.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Thanks Dan! Got the shipping notice on Monday. Looking forward to checking out the stove and will definitely report back. One thing I like about the StarLyte that maybe has not been mentioned, is it is a lot sturdier than a 12-10. I know this doesn't matter so much being stored inside a mug or pot, but I like the fact that I don't have to handle the StarLyte gingerly, and it is not likely to blow away if unattended.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

True I forgot about that last point. It is definitely rock solid. I've also found it a lot easier to blow out than the 12-10 stove which would blow away. I was always scared it would tip over of I blew too hard so id just let it burn out, and easte the fuel. Now it's like blowing out a birthday candle and putting the lid on it saving whatevers left.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

I too like the compact size of the Starlyte M. as compared to my 12-10, and GOLD Gear stove. The latter being a real flame thrower that I love for uber-quick morning coffee boils, as long as there's not a drop of wind. The 12-10 never fails in any conditions, but the starlyte has made the cut on more trips lately due to it's size and the convenience of filling it with fuel for an overnight and leaving the fuel bottle at home.

Or that's what I thought. On three Sub24 trips lately I filled the Starlyte to the top with fuel, capped it with the provided green lid, and then watched it weep fuel at the slightest pressure applied to the lid, and any rise in the temperature during the trip. Leaking occured at the cap and at the metal seam along the side. I don't mind leaking everclear 190, but StripClean Green is something I don't want mixing with my gear. I carried it in a very small ziploc bowl to capture any leaking fuel, and without fail, the ziploc bowl is lined with fuel vapor droplets when unpacked at camp.

Also, when the stove is filled to capacity, I found it burned very hot and inefficiently (using twice the fuel for a 2.5 cup boil). On one trip in warmer weather (mid-80's)the stove full of fuel started to flame about a foot or more above the Foster's can. Scary. I was using GOLD Gear's Ti wind screen with about half of the perimeter breath holes covered on the windward side. I snuffed the flames, let it cool and then re-lit. After boiling water for FBC, I had no fuel left for morning coffee; used wood to heat instead.

Anybody else have this experience? After reading through the thread, it wasn't Zelph himself that suggested filling the stove in leu of carrying a separate fuel bottle on very short trips, but it seemed to be supported by other members.

Does it safely hold fuel in storage if I had not overfilled it? That would be useful, but not quite the 'leave the fuel bottle at home' scenario that people suggested was possible.
    Do I just have a defective stove/seal?

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

I've never carried mine full of a lot of fuel. If I overestimated the fuel needs for a meal, only the extra fuel was capped and carried. Could be 1/4 oz or so at times. Haven't had leaks yet. I don't plan on carrying it full of fuel…. just to be safe.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Kevin, I may have said something somewhere that was misleading. There is some info I give on my stove web page.:

StarLyte Burner only with lid.

Lid fits nice and tight so fuel does not evaporate.

Burner has 1.5 ounce fuel capacity. Holds 1 ounce fuel in suspension, will not spill out if accidentally tipped over. Great safety factor.

Buy several, fill them at home with one ounce, put caps on and go hiking. No need to carry a fuel bottle.(do not overfill)

Total cost is $13.00 and that includes shipping.

You get 1 burner and 1 lid

Marc, I won't discontinue this one. BPL used to sell the entire stove for a few years up until the time they closed the store. I'll make sure I have plenty in inventory to make sure I can ship same day order is received except Sunday and holidays.

These photos show what one ounce of fuel looks like in the body of the burner. When the burner is filled with absorbing material the one ounce is completely absorbed. If the burner is filled to the top and seeps out the side, return it for a replacement or use "Super Glue" on the seam to seal it.

Fuel Capacity 3 photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity004_zps869e6e72.jpg photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity005_zpsbe64a5a8.jpgFuel Capacity 1 photo starlyteburnerfuelcapacity002_zpsd875d243.jpg

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Kevin,

Sounds like the seal between the cap and the body of the tin is leaking. That would explain the flare-up. Like Dan said, hit the seam of the cap and body with super-glue (brazing style) and you should be good.

I used my Starlyte on a thru, and what I think is the real stand out feature is not so much outright fuel storage but rather the elimination of the need to measure fuel. I would fill untill it "wet-out", boil my water and snuff. Next meal I would just top-off. The concern over measuring fuel or reclaiming unspent fuel is rendered moot, which is nice and simple when you just want to focus on hiking and sleeping.

Cheers

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I suspected I was pushing the fuel capacity.

I do plan on ordering the original version of the StarLyte with and without the pot stand.

Depending on cone and pot type (FBC vs. in pot cooking), those three stoves can fill a number of different trip scenarios ranging from simple overnights with a self contained system of 1 oz.of fuel and stove, to longer multi-day adventures valuing that tough little cylinder of metal that boils water slow but steady on a scant half oz. of fuel.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Dan, Received the modified starlyte in a very timely manner. Thank you. Used 10 ml. in each of a 12-10 stove, original StarLyte, and Modified StarLyte. The modified StarLyte was clearly the most efficient. It's going in my traditional Ti-Tri in place of the 12-10 for use with my MSR 850 kettle. BUT … I am wondering if you can make a modified StarLyte with the pot support like the original StarLyte had? I ask because I have a Suluk 46 windscreen and Heineken pot. The entire setup weighs 2.6 oz. with a StarLyte and green plastic top. Not too shabby at all. That said, the Heineken has the concaved beer can bottom, and doesn't like the traditional StarLyte. Flames go up the side and the water gets to almost boiling on 15 ml. but inevitably goes out. I am thinking (read: hoping) that the modified burner will focus enough to avoid this. I know that the added boil time will help. It's more novel than field gear for me at this point, but at 2.6 oz., if I got a consistent boil in 8 minutes or so, it would likely make all my trips of three days or less. What do you think? Thanks again. Thanks in advance for your help.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I ordered the modified Starlyte last night, pretty cheap, looking to see how it does in my CC. Good to know it will work well with my Foster's pot which I need to use some to see how it all goes.
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Duane, I'm shipping it out today:-)

Brian, I recently made one for a member here and shipped it on the 21st. He might have some results on it's use soon. I'll make a half dozen up and be ready to ship tomorrow. I originally made a bunch of them for the cone shaped windscreen that fit inside the K-Mart grease pot. The pot support held up the pot and the screen could be held in close to the pot. I think there is a photo of it in this thread. I think you'll have better results with the StarLyte stove with modified burner than the pot support that comes with the Suluk windscreen. The Suluk seemd to have a little too much thermal radiation feed back towards the burner. The slower modified burner should give you better results.

"Used 10 ml. in each of a 12-10 stove, original StarLyte, and Modified StarLyte. The modified StarLyte was clearly the most efficient. It's going in my traditional Ti-Tri in place of the 12-10 for use with my MSR 850 kettle."

Thanks for that feedback Brian, good to know:-)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thanks Dan. Closing in on 100. Not age, stoves.:) Look out HJ, about to catch you.
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thanks Duane. I have a sale coming up on the Venom super Stoves(Fathers Day) do you have a Super Stove?

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

I finally found the opportunity to get out and use the new stove with a Ti Tri Sidewinder and .9 liter cook pot. I was right around the 10K mark and the water from the stream was cold. The was ice along the side of the seeps where water was sitting stagnant every morning. I am happy to report that I was able to get a rolling boil with just over the 25ML mark.

This is my first experience with an alcohol stove set up. I think I am hooked, and will be leaving the canister stove at home from now on.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Jeff, It doesn't get any better than that :-)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Yep, I saw the deal. I finally saw the light with the modified StarLyte.
    I need to make use of some of my alky stoves I have now, like the penny stove for the Fosters pot and of course play with my CC's, I have three of those now after buying a .550 ti pot off of a member here who included everything for a tri ti CC but the tent stakes with the pot. I have time to play on my camping and bp trips I go on about every weekend. That's an idea, leave the heavy book at home and bring some alcohol and a alky stove or two instead of a gas stove or two. I need to build my confidence up in them, instead of just thinking of them as a toy.
    Duane

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hey Brian. Your request has been acted upon :-))

The StarLyte Stove with Modified burner is now available. See it at the bottom of the page at this link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-stove.php

Thanks You Brian for the request. :-)

Dan

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Trail Designs likes the Modified StarLyte Burner and now makes it available with the "Sidewinder" set. I ordered a "Sidewinder" yesterday for my custom made pot that I named "Grandpa's Fire Pot" It was a "Fathers Day" idea. :-)

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow neat to see it's come all the way to Trail Designs now offering this on their website. Do you know if they tested both the regular and modified stove? I wonder if the modified one gave them superior performance or if they just deemed it a safer stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Dan, they didn't mention the results of their testing but tha fact that they wanted to add the burners to their product line says the tests must have gone well. There are two factions out there, fast and easy does it :-) The Modified for the easy goin and the regular for the fast faction. The reduction ring on the modified comes out easily. Like a couple of folks have said: the price is right, might as well by one of each. They are built well and will last for a long time. The lid that comes with it is sturdy and will last along time as well. These little burners are user friendly. Dump the fuel in and light….no priming necessary in cold weather. No spill feature is precious!!!!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Some reviews for the StarLyte Stove found on Amazon.com today. Someone sent me an email directing me to the site and thought Iā€™d share :) ļŠ

http://www.amazon.com/Starlyte-Stove-by-Zelph-Stoves/dp/B004JVE6RE/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&qid=1436450118&sr=8-56&keywords=alcohol+stove

7 of 8 people found the following review helpful
    Best of the best
    By JuniperTrekker on January 27, 2012
    I have owned and made many types of alcohol stoves (Pepsi, Cat, etc.) but by far this is one of the best and lightest. If you've been disappointed with other Alcohol stoves give this one a go–you will be impressed. Extremely quiet in use, no moving parts, alcohol doesn't spill if its knocked over, simple and failsafe–if you don't accidentally step on it!

Tips:

* Use a reflector (foil) below the stove
    * Always use a wind screen around the stove
    * Limit your use to boiling water (1-4 cups)
    * Keep your meals simple and you won't be disappointed
    *Best fuel: HEET (yellow bottle) or SLX denatured Alcohol. These burn very clean–no soot. Avoid High ethanol alcohols and rubbing alcohol (Isopropanol)–too much soot and flame size too large
    *If you use HEET for your fuel, replace the bottle cap with a dispensing one from "Zelph's Stoveworks". Makes adding fuel much easier.
    Comment Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback…
    Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
    Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
    2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
    Starlyte Alcohol Stove
    By Columbus on August 25, 2011
    This stove is ultra lightweight and very dependable. Have used it for 80 plus days now and it works every time. Works best with denatured alcohol but heet (yellow bottle) is fine too. No need to take it apart: just pour alcohol in from the top and light. It even comes with a small shotglass sized plastic measuring cup so you know how much you are pouring into it. The only problem I have with it is that once it's lit you can't regulate it's burning time or it's intensity. Windscreen is a must on windy conditions. The small metal 4-pronged stand is very narrow so I suggest getting a wider aftermarket stand for stability.
    Thank you for your feedback. If this review is inappropriate, please let us know.
    2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
    Amazing stove
    By Amazon Customer VINE VOICE on July 26, 2013
    I have built alcohol stoves for years, and bought stoves from several stove builders Tinny, Smokeeater908, Zellph, Batchstovez, Intense Angler, etc.

This stove is AMAZING. it is very light weight, and very fuel efficient and could not be easier to use. Pour the alcohol in the stove and light. If you cook pot in a Titanium cup, Glacier cup, or GSI Minimalist; this stove has a perfect size flame pattern.

I have only used this stove a few times; so I am not sure it will give a fast boil but the fuel economy is GREAT. the only stove with the same fuel economy to the Starlyte stove is the MAHALO stove that I designed.

UPDATE: I used this stove for the third time, and this time I timed the test.

The Starlyte IS slower than my MAHALO stove. The MAHALO takes 6:30-7 minutes to boil. The Starlyte took a little more than 8 minutes: so my MAHALO is the clear winner for speed. I think the reason for the slower boil time is that the Starlyte is a wick stove, and the MAHALO is not.

I still think the Starlyte is as efficient and possibly more so because in optimum conditions 15 ml Heet boiled two cups tap water with some alcohol to spare. Next time I am going to try 12.5 ml alcohol to boil two cups.

If you are new to alcohol stoves; you cannot go wrong with the Starlyte.

Using the Starlyte could not be easier. Measure the alcohol in the plastic 1 OZ measuring cup. Pour the alcohol onto the screen. Set the pot on the built in pot stand. Light the stove and you are cooking immediately without dealing with priming pans, waiting for the stove to blossom. With the pot stand you NEVER have to worry about cold pot flame outs.

One last thing most alcohol stoves are good for cooking meals for 1 or 2 people. You will not be cooking a spaghetti dinner for 6 people.

As long as you have realistic expectations for the stove; alcohol stoves will serve you well.
    Perfect
    By Cheryl Madden on September 23, 2014
    Verified Purchase
    For as small and light as this little guy is, i still felt confident putting a pot with two cups of water on it. I cant imagine a way to improve the design, its just perfect.The fact that you dont need a seperate pot stand should make you order this thing right now. No fuss, no moving parts, simply perfect. Great for backpacking, or stashing in your survival kit. Just dont go stomping on it, cause it wont hold up to that! But packed carfully, you cant go wrong. And a shout out to Keri-Lynn at fours seasons survival for the outstanding costumer service.
    quality
    By C. Mcdowell Crook Jr. on November 7, 2013
    This is an excellent ultralight stove. All of Dan's stoves are extremely well made and designed. If you are serious about lightening up your pack and using gear that will last, d yourself a favor and buy his stoves and pots. I've used his gear for the past 8 years and have never had a failure.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This is the Gear Deal forum.

Where's the deal?

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

"This is the Gear Deal forum.
    Where's the deal?"

+2 to this!

@ Dan,

If you expect us to read your self-promotion adds (albeit quoted from Amazon), you better throw us a bone…

Just as a reference, it is July already, and as I recall you planned to start selling your adhesive-backed pot-grabber solution as per this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=103894

…but I still don't see it on your web site.

I'm sure it would sell well once you offer a decent BPL-exclusive discount!
    :-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ok, here's the deal, FREE SHIPPING :)

"The StarLyte Stove"

exclusive offer for members and readers of

Backpackinglight.com

Made in the USA!

The unique feature of this burner is the material under the stainless steel mesh. It is the same material that is used in the manufacturing of the popular Swedish marine alcohol stoves that are commonly seen on Ebay

This stove desirable in drought areas such as being

experienced in western states. Fuel is absorbed and

won't spill out.

Read all about the StarLyte on Whiteblaze.net how it was designed and became popular with the backpackers here in the United States and many European countries.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18383&highlight=starlyte+stove

The StarLyte weighs in at 16.4 grams. That is the combined weight of the burner and pot stand.
    Burner is made of aluminum and has an integrated stainless steel pot support.
    Fuel capacity is 1 ounce in suspension

Boils 2 cups of 69 degree water in 6 1/2 min.
    Used 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol to boil 2 cups of water.(always use windscreen for best fuel efficiency) results may vary according to conditions and pot used.
    You get:

One StarLyte Stove
    Flexible measuring cup
    Instruction Sheet

Cost: $15.00 FREE SHIPPING Buy Now!!!!

Sorry, no International orders

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-for-backpackinglightcom.php

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-for-backpackinglightcom.php

Ivo, adhesive backed carbon felt coming soon. My supplier of adhesive sent wrong stuff, removable instead of permanent :(

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools