Topic

StarLyte Burner With Cap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals StarLyte Burner With Cap

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

ed Hyatt, friends like you are special. Just let me know what you want and I'll send you a Paypal Invoice to include the actual shipping sharges. I'll combine shipping. I'm easy. I'm just a little guy off in a corner of syberspace. I hand make all my stuff, no cnc outsourcing here. My store is understaffed ;-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This thread has a lot of answers for someone having questions on the distance needed for burner to pot distance. I had 2 emails that were answered by the info found in this thread. Thanks for all the feedback info.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Came across this photobucket video shows how the StarLyte is used with Back Country Boiler.

Click on it
     video 2009-07-14111958.mp4

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I made 4 Foster cans for use with the StarLyte burner when placed under a Caldera-Keg system. No shim is needed. This photo shows the new can on the right. The supporting ridgeline has been relocated 3/4" higher up on the can. The can will then be 3/4" lower inside the cone for more heat absorbtion.

photo FosterCaldera001_zps20fc9841.jpg

The new can is offered only to BPL viewers. It can not be seen by others viewing my stove store site. You have to use this link to see the sale page. I made 4 of these today along with more of the regular cans for the Cone.

The link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-for-starlyte.php

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dan,

Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"Do you know when you will have the pot stands back in stock?"

Steven, I'll make one up for you tomorrow morning. Go ahead and do the paypal transaction and I'll ship late afternoon.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Dan! Sorry to veer this thread into yet another slightly-off direction.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Chad Poindexter over at "Sticksblog" has found a use for the Modified StarLyte burner.

http://sticksblog.com/2013/05/03/td-s…

and here is his recent video on youtube:

YouTube video

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Dan

As you may remember

I have bought 2 Starlytes over the last few years – both still going strong – though the the first is a bit corroded now.

I recently got a new modified Starlyte and a new standard one(through Ed H) .

In my Evernew 600 + Ti sidewinder:

I have done tests several times with both new burners using 15ml fuel and 500ml cold water. Standard flame gap.

The standard Starlyte gets me a rolling boil between 10 and 12 minutes and burns till 13 or so.

Cannot (repeatedly) get a full boil going with the modified. Get the 'thermal feedback' noise, and sometimes bubbles form on the pan base. No Boil though. Burns out a 13 mins or so.

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it's better for a narrow mug style pot?
    (I'm not too bothered as I can just remove the insert and make it a standard Starlyte – which works fine!)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Mole, try raising the burner up towards the pot 1.5cm. Can you get a boil with the 12-10 using 15ml of fuel? Is there soot forming on your pot? Sometimes your water may be colder and thus making the difference? Try off setting the burner away from where the most draft is entering the cone. Move it towards the draft side so the incoming air pushes the flame towards the center of the pot. Try to view what's going on inside the cone so you can see if the flame is centered. With my cone I have to have the burner off center to compensate for the incoming air. Small drafts can have an affect on the flame pattern. I had my kitchen windows open when doing my tests and could see the flames dance around and move the flame off center and the flames go up the side of the Foster's pot.

I have only used the Modified StarLyte in my Cone designed for the Foster's can. I consistently get 2 cups to boil with 15ml of denatured alcohol. Boil times are approximately 7.5 min. and continue to boil for 1 min. Flame out around 9 min. Those are results of yesterdays testing in my kitchen whilst my wife was out on an errand. She returned whilst I was still testing and she was not pleased to say the least.

Trail Designs makes so many size cones it's impossible for me to keep track of who is getting good results with their particular set-up.

Dan Durston might have an answer for us. He's the pioneer in the use of the StarLyte in the Cones.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Mole,

I use the 900mL evernew short/wide with the modified starlyte in a Ti sidewinder Caldera Cone. I don't offset anything, I don't use any shim to raise the stove…i just put the the stove on the ground and the pot in the cone and frankly, it works phenomenally well.

I consistently get rolling boils at about 7 mins with a half ounce of denatured alcohol, 1-2 cups cold water…and last trip it was SO windy and it still worked like a champ.

Sorry yours doesn't…but from my experience the short/wide pot is fine.

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

thanks Dan

and Jennifer

I've tried it with and without shims.

Will try again sometime.

Am attempting to boil just over 2 cups of cold water each time.

As I say, I have success with the normal Starlyte and 1/2 oz fuel so not too worried!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

In my tests, the restricted Starlyte took about 1:30 longer to boil than the regular Starlyte. Since uses the same or less fuel, if you can boil on 15ml with the regular one you should be able to boil with the restricted one, but something must be up. Have you tried giving it more fuel to see if you can reach a boil in a few more minutes?

In my tests, the restricted Starlyte saved about 1g (or ~1ml) of fuel per boil. To me, this wasn't worth the slower boil times so I've stayed with the regular model.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Mole, can you get a boil with 15ml of fuel in the 12-10 stove?
    I got comparable results to Dan (Durston) when comparing the standard and modified Starlytes with the 600ml Evernew and Sidewinder. The 12-10 stove needed about 2.5g more fuel than the modified Starlyte.
    I didn't do many tests with the Sidewinder, but in the ones I did I found that the pot resting on the cone with a 1/2" shim used slightly less fuel but took longer than without the shim.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

I have a few different alcohol stoves. I decided to test my 3 favorites. What follows are the results of that test. While the modified Starlyte was "slow" it consumed the least amount of fuel.

All tests were completed using a Trail Designs Ti-Tri setup for a .6 Evernew Titanium pot. Interesting results.

ALCOHOL STOVE TEST

All tests used 14 grams (1/2 oz) of alcohol and 342 grams (12 oz) of water.

Trail Designs 12-10
    Boil time 5:13
    Burn time 7:10
    Fuel used to boil 10.2 grams

Zelph Starlyte modified
    Boil time 7:05
    Burn time 12:00
    Fuel used to boil 8.3 grams

Goldgear Ram Eco
    Boil time 4:15
    Burn time 5:45
    Fuel used to boil 10.3 grams

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow those are some good numbers. 7 min and 8g of fuel is amazing. I presume you've got the wide/shallow 600ml pot?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Reggie, a few questions.

Which Ti-Tri system did you use when doing the tests? Classic, Sidewinder, Fissure or Fusion?

Did you use a heat reflector/ground protector under the stoves?

How did you figure the amount of fuel to reach a boil if you let all the fuel burn out to get a total burn time? I assume it was just some simple math that I am not thinking of…?

When using the 12 – 10 stove, did you insert the stakes through the cone to lift the pot up slightly and use it as suggested, or did you just set the pot in the cone and let the lip rest on the cone like when using Esbit?

When using the Starlyte, did you shim it, or lay it directly on the ground? How did you put the pot on the cone, again, on the stakes to lift it up, or the lip of the pot resting on the cone?

When using the Goldgear stove, did you just set the pot right on top of the stove as it is intended to be, but inside the cone? I haven't taken mine out to try it with my 0.9L cone, but I know it is a bit taller than the others, so I figure it will lift the pot up a bit in the cone.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Dan, 7 minutes and 8.3g for 352ml would translate to 10 minutes and 12g (15ml) for 500ml of water. This is good compared to most stoves, but would seem to be about standard for the modified Starlyte IME.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Chad,

I used the Sidewinder.

The tests were performed in my kitchen but I did have a ground protector under all the stoves.

To figure out the amount of fuel used to boil the water I just calculated it out. The math may not be totally accurate. Let's say I used 1 oz of fuel, the stove boiled in 7.5 minutes, and burned a total of 10 minutes, then I calculated the fuel needed to boil the water was .75 oz. While I know this may not be totally accurate, I used that method on all the tests so I'm fairly comfortable saying which stove burned more fuel or less fuel to boil the water. My intent was not to see the exact amount of fuel burned, but see how much fuel each stove burned relative to the other stoves.

For the 12-10 stove, I did use the stakes to raise the pot to the correct height above the stove.

For the Starlyte, I set the stove directly on the "ground", pulled the stakes out of the cone, and let the pot rest on it's rim inside the cone. I didn't get an exact measurement of how high the pot was from the stove, but it looked to be very close to the optimum height.

For the Goldgear stove, I set the pot on top of the stove as intended and it was inside the cone. This stove, with the pan sitting directly on it, is a very good fit inside the Ti-Tri Sidewinder.

Hope this helps!

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Yes. Usual .6 Evernew. Wider than tall.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Question for JRScruggs and others. Have you tried the accessory shelf for placing the StarLyte Burner onto as a means of elevating it. It looks like it should work well.

Here is a photo of it:

photo solid_fuel_adapter_in_clikstand_zps876ba2fe.jpg

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

For weighing fuel use, could you rig an insulator under your stove so you could do burns with the stove on the scale? Read the starting, boil, and ending weights as the fuel burns. I'm thinking thin plywood topped with a foil metal reflector would work.

You could use the "tare" function on your scale, add fuel, light stove, then watch the weight return to a zero reading as the fuel burned.

Plan B: Add fuel, then push the "tare" button, light stove, watch the numbers go from zero to negative numbers during the burn. My scale reads negative from a "tare" beginning.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Joe, that should work as you say as long as your scale has the accuracy to measure 1 gram. My scale lacks that ability. I'd definately do it the way you suggest.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I'm assuming since the 12-10's are basically the same (within a given iteration/generation) then it does not matter whether the modified StarLyte is used in a traditional aluminum high cone, ULC, or sidewinder cone. I'm planning on using this with my fusion-700 mug or my trad. ti-tri MSR Kettle cone. Anyway, just ordered one. Seemed to be in stock. Can't wait.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Brian, your burner was shipped today. I don't think it will matter if it's used in a traditional aluminum high cone, ULC, or sidewinder cone. Excellent results are being had in all of them. Let us know how it works with your fusion-700 mug.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools