Topic

Minimalist wallet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Minimalist wallet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

I ran across this cool minimalist wallet on Kickstarter. Looks like availability is "January 2013" (soon).

http://www.suprgood.com/the-slim-wallet/

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Looks cool, but I think I'd rather have one of these things: http://www.simblissity.net/litefold_b-line.htm

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There's also this: http://goo.gl/Dmq3P, and http://goo.gl/bT3Ix, and http://goo.gl/oNupX. Probably a dozen others.

That said, I'm really missing the point of any of these wallets. Once you're down to carrying as little as most of these wallets should hold, there seems little improvement in function over a rubber band or other improvisation.

Likewise, if you're still carrying a wad of currency and eleventeen different loyalty cards, a minimalist wallet will do less for you than paring down the chaff stuffed in your pockets.

I personally carry only a debit card, transit card, and ID. A couple bills stuffed in a front pocket for the rare cash-only transaction and perhaps my single motorcycle key (I'm still baffled at the keyringed baubles most people carry around). I'm looking forward to the looming day the debit and transit cards exist in my smartphone as well.

Not to say people don't have good cause for their packed wallets and keyring maces–by all means to each their own–these minimalist wallets, however, seem lacking in function even when their design is nice.

That may be what it comes down to: the wallet as anachronistic man-bling like the fancy watch or pen or business card holder. Nothing wrong with that :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'm really missing the point of any of these wallets.
    Me too.

A silnylon stuff sack sized to hold 1 credit card, 1 driving licence, and a few folded bank notes between them. My car keys (JUST the car keys) get tied to the stuff sack draw cord (0.5 mm Spectra).

Cost? Scrap bits.

Cheers

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

1 ziplock sandwich bag, 0.1 oz. or 1 gram

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

anything more than a plastic ziplock sandwhich baggie (1 gram) is overkill.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"1 ziplock sandwich bag, 0.1 oz. or 1 gram"

A small opsak for me. I don't want no darn bears smelling my money….

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 ziplock bag.

Between trips it holds what is normally in my pocket on the trail: hand cleaner, compass, small knife.

When I hit the trailhead those go into my pocket, and what's in my pocket goes into the plastic bag. Normally that's my iphone, a driver license, insurance card, credit card, national park pass, keys, pen.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Same here – ziplock bag

I use one of the bags sealers to size it how I want

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I just pack in the car key now. Never have found anyone selling ice cream in the backcountry so no need for a special backpacking wallet to hold cash,cards . Ziploc if you must take some plastic, cash.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Ziplocs???

you guys arent near as cool as I thought.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

I couldn't imagine taking something like this out hiking. I'm interested in these for every day use.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I wore out a spinnaker Simblissity trifold after years of everday use, replaced it with a slightly heavier dyneema gridstop version. I think they are perfect for everyday use…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"I couldn't imagine taking something like this out hiking. I'm interested in these for every day use."

I just use Ziploc for everyday use : )

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Zpacks has UL CF Wallet Pouch that has plenty of room for all your stuff. (0.1oz)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, I use the ZPacks CF wallet as well, it's plenty big, waterproof (for the most part,)and it's so light it doesn't even register on my scale.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've never needed any more than this when hiking:

Ultralight Wallet

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

I use an alligator clip everyday. Hate wallets. When on a trip, I take a card, my id, and wrap a 20 around them both and go.

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I love my mighty wallet:

http://www.mightywallets.com

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

+1 on mighty wallets or diy one yourself, just a thin tyvek wallet

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Like this one?

Tyvek wallet

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools