Topic

Dumb question about inflating X-therm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dumb question about inflating X-therm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I finally purchased a neo air Xtherm, and the inflator bag is killing me. After perhaps 75 pumps, I gave up and blew it up normally.
    Do I have to use the inflator bag? Will the moisture from my lungs hurt the mattress like with the BA or ExPeds?

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I used the TR Packliner/Inflator (think that is what you're talking about) and it only took me a half dozen or so to fill it. Breathing into the mat won't ruin it but it will cause the hot air to shrink once it cools and leave your mat partially deflated…and you'll need to blow it up some more. Over the long term if you don't allow the mat to dry inside it may get a little funky – but leave the valve open and store it flat and you should be ok.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I hope the answer to your questions is "no," as I too gave up on using the stuff sack "inflator." I would hate for my x-therm to be harmed as a result.

Seems like people have had better luck with the "Instaflator" and I was going to try one of those. I'm not sure why it would work so much better, aside from the much larger size. But worth a try.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Instaflator is hit or miss, mine just popped opened in the seam after 2 usages. Camptek microburst which is slow but does a okay job an after 3-5 minutes you can top off the air with couple of breaths.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

When I bought my xtherm I also splurged and bought a Camptek microburst. My justification is not getting moisture into the pad but the real reason is that I HATE blowing up an airmat at the end of a long day. I have been called a namby pamby by one hiker but I think it was more out of jealousy than it was based in fact. :)

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The main get from the Instaflator is not the bag itself, but the valve. It comes apart and can be attached to any bag, so you can put it in the corner of a pack liner or just about any kind of bag you'd like. I haven't measured it in a while, but I think my Instaflator valve, trimmed down to just the Therm-a-Rest fitting, weighs about half an ounce. I also cut my bag in half bringing the total kit to just a hair over an ounce. The leftovers can later be substituted in if my current bag pops.

For what it's worth, my Instaflator has about 30-40 fills on it with no problems.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'll try that garbage bag trick.

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Locale: Australia

Instaflator has been working great for me. Never had any problems.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

One more vote for the microburst. Attach it, do some chores for a few minutes, then top off as needed with you own breath.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+2
    Plus you can use the fan to help start a fire.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools