Topic

pee bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear pee bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bernie Bower

@bernie

Locale: Southern Indiana

I just thought I would share. I have been using the heavy duty gallon freezer bags with the zipper slide inside of my sleeping bag as pee bottle/bags. Plenty of volume, easy to close in the dark and easy to "hit?".

It along with nighttime tylonol have made my nights camping much more restful.

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

I last used a 1 qt Aquafina bottle (<1 oz) that has a wide lid. The bottle takes up volume not being truly compressible but stored in the outside pouch of my backpack it was a non-issue. "Hit" was not a problem. I would worry less about a leak with this than the freezer bags. I would never put it inside my bag. The bottle also supplemented my water system as urine is sterile (short of a urinary tract infection) and cleaning it out in streams (after the initial dump in an appropriate place) left it good as new.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For me anyway, I just wouldn't trust a bag with a slider. My pee bottle is a 32L wide-mouth Nalgene cantene. Still pretty darn light and packable — and much more secure IMHO. :)

Edit / Correction: 32oz – not liter! LOL.

Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Wow Benjamin… 32 liters is quite some capacity! Do you pack out all of your pee as part of true LNT? ;-)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

–My pee bottle is a 32L wide-mouth Nalgene cantene.–

Ben, I would be too afraid of accidentally using it as a water bottle someday. No matter how well I cleaned it… bleh… You're a braver soul than I.

Adam

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Locale: Alaska

You are either crazy or lucky to be using slider style zip locks a pee- bottle.

Every one of those I've had fails after a few uses.
    you are a brave man

My winter pee bottle of choice is a 48oz wide mouth nalgene (flexable-platypus style)
    overkill?? nope. I've filled it, and its handy for sharing when its 20 below out.

funny thread..

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

OK, for winter, climbing, and extreme environs I understand, but otherwise I'd much rather crawl out and go…The thought of carrying a used pee bottle around (or used TP- I've gone with natural material for a while now) really bugs me. I can't help but imagine it stewing in a pack pocket under the sun…I'll pass, thanks. Do that many people carry them regularly, or are we talking primarily winter travel here?

Make sure you turn a light on when getting a sip of water at night…I've heard stories.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Adam:

LOL — No worries about mixing up drinking and peeing bottles. I have THREE levels of safeguards:

1. All my water bottles are narrow-mouth Platys.

2. My Nalgene wide-mouth cantene has a FIERY RED cap!

3. The pronunciation of "Nalgene" sounds like urine essence in Chinese, my native language — so it's all very intuitive. :)

Craig:

NOBODY ever carries a filled pee bottle! Why would they ever? You simply pour out the contents in the morning and rinse out the bottle! After that, it's nicely collapsible and easily packed.

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Here is my Nalgene pee bottle. Nice and pink so I can tell the difference, Lexan so no chance of it cracking. Up on the ridge above Bull-of-the-Woods pasture, about 5 feet of soft snow and 0 degrees and 30 mile an hour wind outside.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Benjamin, I really love the "Nalgene/urine essence" statement…I won't forget it. I'd love to hear it in Chinese.

I know nobody (or at least, no sane person)would carry a full bottle- that is, unless you're a SULNT freak(Super-Ultra-Leave-No-Trace). I hear they've also developed a technique to efficiently trek backwards while stooping to brush away footprints…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Craig:

Spelling the words to mimic as closely as possible how they sound in Chinese (Mandarin): urine essence = nial jing. Pretty close to Nalgene, eh?

Now, a third word for you: "shian" is the word for 'fragrant'. So here it is: Shian Nial No. 5:

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Defientally a winter only tool, and winter inside-a-Tent only tool. In mid or tarp you can just roll over and unzip your bag…

I've seen people on Denali with the 96oz collapsable nalgenes, yes 96 oz no kidding.

Craig, your avatar is hilarous!

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

Urine has been used as a disinfectant, to sterilize medical instruments in emergency, as eye drops for pink eye, and others.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

LOL, Dale I know urine is sterile and wouldn't really harm you in anyway but just the thought of drinking it (or out of a container that has housed it) makes me a little queasy. Much less putting it in my eye. Maybe I'm just a sissy… I've been told that before (by my girlfriend nonetheless).

Adam

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ouch — being called a sissy by your own gf — that gotta hurt!

Back in high school, my own grandma said I was too old fashioned — that hurt too. :)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

<< Shian Nial No. 5: >>

LOL

funny how so many things go so far that they end up back at the beginning

i've read that pheromones (derived from hog urine and other things) can promote one's attractiveness.

Eric Parsons

@ericp

Also.. once you use a bottle for pee it is pretty much finished.
    I have several friends that have had to used their pee bottle as a water bottle due to lack of other containers or loosing/breaking their main one.

No ammount of boiled water will rid the stench!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

— i've read that pheromones (derived from hog urine and other things) can promote one's attractiveness. —

In high school we had to make soap for a chemistry class and market it to other classes. We got to make commercials for them and everything. Anyway my group decided to have some fun and named our soap 'Animal Attraction.' Our secret formula consisted on a small drop of cat urine I believe. There was also a prize in one of the pieces because a piece of plastic from a thermometer accidentally fell into the mixture and we didn't want to fish it out. Needless to say we didn't sell many, lol.

And Ben, yes it does hurt when your gf calls you a sissy. Unfortunately she is right, I really don't like being dirty or wet unless I'm hiking or playing a sport. Oh well.

Adam

Richard Stein

@buckaroobanzai

"No amount of boiled water will rid the stench!"

What kind of material was the bottle made of?

When I used the Aquafina bottle (I think the recycle code is #1), I dumped it in the morning and gave it multiple rinses in the stream. This worked for 7 days without a hint of urine smell when I used it as a daytime water bottle. Of course, it was recycled at the end of the trip.

This method is easy and cheap enough to test out at home if you are concerned about a stench.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

–This method is easy and cheap enough to test out at home if you are concerned about a stench.–

Try telling your co-workers what you did when you got home yesterday…

I love it! If this thread got out, the non-outdoors world would think we're a deranged lot…but then again, they already do.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

HEY!!! Who you calling deranged?

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

In no way was I proposing that urine be used as a disinfectent, eye drops or whatever. Just pointing out a few little known facts about human urine:

The ancient Romans used urine as a bleaching agent for cleaning clothes and there are even isolated reports as a teeth whitener.

In England, stale urine was used for cleaning and to flavor ale.

Shipwrecked or people otherwise adrift at sea for long periods often resort to drinking their urine when no rainwater is available, seawater being unsuitable. People stranded in deserts often also drank urine to prevent life-threatening dehydration from setting in. However, this desperate measure achieves little to delay death from thirst as urine dehydrates one in the same manner saltwater does.

Aztec physicians used urine to clean external wounds to prevent infection, and administered it as a drink to relieve stomach and intestine problems. Purported beneficiaries of the 'urine cure' include Mohandas Gandhi, Jim Morrison, and Steve McQueen.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Well that changes everything! If its good enough for Steve McQueen its good enough for me. Though he is still far manlier than I will ever be. [drool]Bullitt… '68 Highland Green Mustang 390 GT Fastback…[/drool] Anyway, cool urine facts. I would have never thought urine had so many uses.

Adam

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Don't forget – in really hot conditions you can use urine to wet a bandana and put it on your head to keep you cool – Just like Bear did in Man vs Wild.

gay culbertson

@gculbertson

I use a wide mouth Gatoraid bottle. If I should forget to pack it, I buy a new one and drink it on the trip. I keep one in my kayak also so if there's no place to get out, I can still take care of business. My friend used a ziplock for several bakpacking trips until one night his wife rolled over and popped it. Since my water at night comes from a bladder with sip tube, I can't mix the two up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools