Topic

Long sleeve shirt for sun protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long sleeve shirt for sun protection

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

This thread is a few years old.  Our troop is doing Sea Base next year, and I’m looking at shirts that provide good sun protection, vent well for the heat and humidity and resist stink.

Are there any better options out there today?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

For me, OR (Outdoor Research) is the absolute bomb, in terms of weight, quality and function. Check out the echo long sleeve shirt and the Sun Runner Cap. Above treeline, find some minimal gloves for the backs of your hands. Beats sunscreen IMO.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

If you don’t have bugs around, the OR Echo is the bomb.  Get the lightest color they have.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Not sure what the bug issue is like.  We’ll be with scouts on a 40′ sailboat in the Florida Keys.  I’m sure there will be bugs at times.  I’m assuming a lot of the time there will be wind, which at those times, there won’t be bugs.

I’m looking for sun protection but airy and lightweight.  Low stink factor is an issue, too.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

this   –  http://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/women-airism-uv-cut-mesh-long-sleeve-t-1958160003.html

For males size up 1 or 2 sizes from your normal size or go in and try it on. I am a M/L male and have ordered online 4 of these in Womens XL.  I have several and they are gold! Cool (YES believe it) and sun resistant. Fit to the skin a bit yes, but tried and tested in Australia and NZ in summer-looseness is perhaps mis-rated.There is a hoody version as well. Walked multiple hours in the sun with no sunscreen and no sunburn, they even cover your hands, wash and dry very quick. I wear a light woolen  Tshirt under it which DOES mitigate the smell to nothing, and a hat, if it’s real hot I use an umbrella-Montbell UL. Added bonus -you will be wearing womens clothes so you can tell your friends!

I also have an Icebreaker Departure LS shirt which WILL NOT SMELL for days and days. Perfect for those less warm days, but oh so expensive. Bought several on sale so I was lucky-probably the only buying advantage for an Australian maybe with IB a NZ company. Often cheaper here than in NZ! Happy walking, Cheers.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

+1 for the OR Echo. Regarding bugs, I’ve been treating mine with permethrin before the season starts, and have never been bothered by insects whatsoever.

Probably a non-issue at Sea Base. Lots of wind down there.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

It looks like retailers are cutting back on their stock of the OR Echo, which is probably due to the change in seasons. I got one on sale at backcountry.com and hopefully it will work well.

Thanks!!

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools