Topic

Long sleeve shirt for sun protection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long sleeve shirt for sun protection

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Doesn't appear to be mentioned much in this thread. But, where you'll be there'll be mosquitos and a poly or wool shirt will not provide adequate protection unless you are really early/late in the season. Nylon will work a real treat offering excellent protection from them skeeters. So ExOfficio and REI Sahara shirts work great and I'm sure other in nylon will too. (The REI shirt was stated as poly earlier in the thread, but that is the liner only, not the shirt material) These nylon shirts also breath fairly well too.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Hey Steve,

I'm planning on doing the TRT this summer as well.

My favorite L/S shirt is still the Columbia PFG snap-front shirt. Retail is about $45.00. Our local Sports Authority carries them, you may find them online as well. The snap-front is better than the button-downs for fabric, ventilation and other features.

It has SPF 30, is wind resistant, is light and comfortable against your skin and dries very quickly, is durable and doesn't retain odor either.

Best,

Susan

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

A friend has a shirt like that but I don't think he's worn it in buggy situations. Susan, how is the bug protection of the PFG shirts?

edited to directly address Susan. Thanks Susan.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Railriders Eco Mesh, Adventure, or Bone Flats shirt. They are all nylon and unlike the ex officieo, their venting works with a pack on. Nylon doesn't stink as bad or as fast as poly, but it still will stink some. Nylon does dry quickly and not only has sun protection but bug protection.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I forgot to mention that my Mountain Hardware nylon sun shirt has vents that run under the arms and down the side. This is brilliant if you're wearing a pack–as opposed to back vents. Also, it has a great zip front pocket. And again, skeeterproof! Sorry, I've forgotten the model name.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have all kinds of expensive shirts, most of which have been mentioned. But to be honest a 60/40 cotton dress shirt at your local thrift store works just as well.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Just a quick note to all the people pushing the hiking shirts like the RailRiders Exo Mesh. How do you find them breatheable? Yes, there is the venting on the side but I never found that much in the front or back and would sweat a lot in them when the temp was above 90F, I did any exertion and there was no breeze blowing on my side. I found more breatheablitiy in the really thin dress shirts, those seemed to breathe all around and a breeze at any angle would help to cool me down.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Brett, if you are naked you will sweat at 90 F.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Warren,

I haven't been noticably bitten through these shirts despite them not having any bug chemicals applied to the fabric. I suppose a really big cloud of determined mozzies, black flies, chiggers, noseeums, etc could get you through it, but I'm not sure of any breathable shirt that offers complete bug protection.

For me, I can use DEET or whatever for the occassions when bugs are out. Personally, I probably wouldn't want bug stuff in my clothes, as I choose my shirt based on other attributes like sun protection, lightweight, breathable, quick drying, comfort, etc. I've been happy with the PFGs when I want a L/S shirt. Like I said, they are also pretty wind resistant despite the light fabric and back vents. They hold up well and come clean pretty easy by hand-washing.

Hope this helps.

Susan

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I guess I'll +27 the RailRiders, particularly the EcoMesh shirts. I have come to fight the UL tide regarding just wearing your base layer top as a shirt. I detest slathering anything greasy on my skin so I avoid sunscreen and bug dope. Thus I am a firm long-pants (not shorts) and long-sleeves (not baselayer T-shirt) hiker in almost ANY conditions I can think of. I just did a hike in the Grand Canyon this spring and the long-sleeved baselayer didn't really work for me, even with some of the thinnest wool I could find. First, it's hot, but actually that's not TOO terrible. But also I was exposing a relatively expensive wool shirt to snags and scrapes, so I had to be careful about tearing it or wearing holes in it. Kind of a pain.

I have since discovered the RailRiders Ecomesh pants and shirts, and I love them. For summer hiking here in the mountain west you rarely need your baselayer for most daylight walks- I seem to worry about overheating in the sun far more often than getting cold. And they can be bought with InsectShield(tm), which I presume is some sort of Permethrin treatment.

And, heck, if it does get cold you can always add that baselayer shirt under the RailRiders nylon top.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Brett,

You may be refering to this but RR and similar shirts are mainly for sun protection and are not intended for hiking below tree line. I would never wear one in the hot and humid SE where I live, but they worked great on the JMT and Wind River the past two years. I would not recomend one for the midwest, southeast, northeast, or even the northwest. They are great in hot, arid/semi arid conditions in the Sierras and Rockies and any time sun protection is top priority. Rail Riders shirts were originally for sailing, and saltwater fly fishing. The Eco Mesh shirt was designed for a ultra marathon in the sahara desert.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

+1 Arcteryx Motus LS

Wore one on the JMT for a week last year without any stink.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I wear both Eco-Mesh pants and shirts on a lot of my trips. Even in triple digit heat if I expect cold at higher elevations. Both are among my favorite pieces of gear. But they are not cheap.

For most people a thin 640/40 cotton/poly blend dress shirt will be just fine. I hiked in these for decades.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"+1 Arcteryx Motus LS"

+ another 1. I've been using one the past 2 seasons in the Sierra with great results. It has a UPF rating of something like 53, weighs ~4 oz in a size S, and breathes superbly. I can't comment on the stink factor, since I don't. ;0)

Edited for content.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

'Brett, if you are naked you will sweat at 90 F.'

I usually don't if I am just standing around in the shade. With most hiking shirts I do. Yes, nylon doesn't stink but it doesn't breathe that well either. I think my First Ascent windshirt unzipped about half way down breathes just about as much.

'Brett, You may be refering to this but RR and similar shirts are mainly for sun protection and are not intended for hiking below tree line. I would never wear one in the hot and humid SE where I live, but they worked great on the JMT and Wind River the past two years. I would not recomend one for the midwest, southeast, northeast, or even the northwest. They are great in hot, arid/semi arid conditions in the Sierras and Rockies and any time sun protection is top priority. Rail Riders shirts were originally for sailing, and saltwater fly fishing. The Eco Mesh shirt was designed for a ultra marathon in the sahara desert.'

Okay, I can see that and I acknowledge that it applies to the original poster. I still think you would bake in them even in arid conditions in an EcoMesh, that is why I sold mine. I wish I knew it was just for above tree line before I bought it but no one said squat when I asked, like three times. I think everyone one here lives around mountains. To get above the treeline where I live I would have to drive more than 12 hours.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I'm apparently very lucky in that I don't stink while backpacking. That or my sense of smell is gone but same difference. Champion C9 long sleeves ploy shirts from Target for me. Tried more expensive shirts and got tired of putting snags in them. At $12 a pop, I don't worry about that. They don't have an SPF rating AFAIK but they provide very good coverage and I haven't seen a hint of evidence that I need sunblock under them. I've had skin cancer issues so I stay on top of that. Some permethrin spray during bug season and I'm good to go.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just paint my torso and arms reflective silver. No need for a shirt at all.

Works so far.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> I just paint my torso and arms reflective silver. No need for a shirt at all.<<

Looking good Doug!!

Doug heads out in the sun

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

I just checked the label, the model name is Timiami II.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

disappointed that Pat sun hoody is too warm as I was looking at that as a possibility. I can tell you can cross off the Ibex Indie for warm sun protection- it's too warm, great mid-layer (or a base layer in very cold weather).

the Merino 1 long sleeve does pretty good in warm, but probably not hot. Mine is a darker color, so maybe a lighter color??

the long sleeve shirt I'm looking at now is the OR Echo- it's UPF rated and only weighs 3.9 oz in a men's large

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ thanks for the clarification, looks like I'll put it back on the list :) if it can handle 80's, I'm good to go

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

And like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've got a few and don't find I use them for hiking and think they're too hot to wear in hot sunny conditions, but I don't regret buying them in the least. They're a great article of clothing.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Nathan- what would you say is the upper limit for you w/ the hoody? If it will get me into the low 80's, we really don't get much hotter than that in the mountains and rarely that hot.

thanks

Mike

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

I used to live back east and hike in the miserable humidity. Because it was hot, I initially felt that a short-sleeved polyester shirt would be best, so that's what I used for a long time. But bugs (flies, horseflies, gnats, mosquitoes, etc) drove me nuts having exposed arms. And the biting types can nail you right through the fabric. When I switched to a long-sleeve RailRiders Madison River shirt, life was instantly better! The shirt dried extremely fast, and I was pretty amazed that I didn't really feel any hotter in it. And the bugs can't bite through the nylon, so that was a HUGE advantage. I eventually moved west and now spend my time in the High Sierras and find that the same Madison River shirt is my favorite. It provides great sun and bug protection and dries in minutes. So as I go in and out of buggy zones along the hike, I'm not a bit bothered if I look down and see 5 mosquitoes on the front of my shirt, because I know they can't bite through it. Not the case with other fabrics. I also love that I can unbutton the front for ventilation while hiking, and the mesh strip up the sides helps with this as well. I wear not only a long-sleeve nylon shirt, but also nylon pants and a big ole Sunday Afternoons sun hat, so in terms of exposed skin, that really just leaves my hands and front of my face from maybe the nose downward. So I don't need much sunscreen. I read online this year of people complaining of the terrible mosquito pressure in the Sierras, yet I spent a considerable amount of time in the Sierras this year without a single bite…no doubt because I'm wearing stuff they can't bite through. I never once resorted to using DEET, which I had with me just in case. Sometimes when hiking, I'd look down and see 8-10 mosquitoes on my pant legs. I wouldn't even bother to swat them, because they'd just eventually go away on their own. The folks with lots of exposed skin were being eaten alive apparently.

I'll also add a note on the R.R. Madison River shirt compared to the Bone Flats shirt. Despite what R.R. advertises about the Bone Flats being "ultralight," it actually weighs almost an ounce MORE than then Madison River shirt. The fabric on the Bone Flats IS noticeably thinner, but the response I got from R.R. was that it weighs more because there is additional fabric in the shirt. Where? I have no idea. And why their advertised weight of the Bone Flats isn't even CLOSE to its real weight is also a mystery. I'm not too happy about their failure to correct the weight of the Bone Flats shirt in their product description. Regardless, I'll keep on loving my Madison River shirt. It freakin' rocks!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools