Topic

New Big Agnes Tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Big Agnes Tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

A solo, extra long version of the Fly Creek for the tall folk. It also comes with a fabric inner. 2 person version as well.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/slaterul1%2B

Reminds me of the old Sarvis 1+

A two person trekking pole tent under 2 lbs:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/scoutul2

Platinum Fly Creek 1:

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek1Platinum

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The Scout reminds me of my first tent, an Army surplus pup tent with the poles inside like that. Weighs a bit less though…

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

Aw man…. I just told someone in Gear Swap I would buy their Fly Creek UL2 and I'm 6'4" tall. I hope that doesn't mean the tent is too small for me. I guess worst case scenario I sell the tent again on the Gear Swap for what I pay and give it a shot in the meantime.

Kind of weird though, that the Slater UL2+ has a full fabric interior. Doesn't seem like it would breath well at all. What's up with that?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Because of the low weight, the Scout would make a nice 2 person 3 season tent for camping in sheltered, forested areas like I usually do. I'm guessing from the specs that the weight would be 1 lb, 11 oz with just the tent and guylines. I already generally use sticks and logs instead of stakes. I don't usually carry poles, but branches would work there.

Plus, there's a bit of nostalgia factor. :)

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

UL2 will be uncomfortable for your height.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"UL2 will be uncomfortable for your height."

I don't think that Alex would have any problem with it as long as he sleeps solo, diagonally, and in the fetal position.

–B.G.–

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

"UL2 will be uncomfortable for your height."

"I don't think that Alex would have any problem with it as long as he sleeps solo, diagonally, and in the fetal position."

Crap. Seriously? I sleep on an Exped SynMat UL LW which is 77.5" long according to Exped. Now according to BA the Fly Creek is 86" long but they also don't say exactly where that point is along that length where the trapezoid transitions into a triangle so maybe you guys are right? See below image:

So really, I probably won't be able to fit into it comfortably huh? Should I get a Copper Spur UL2 instead? Who the hell makes tents that don't fit people who are 6'4"?! It's not like I'm Shaq for godssakes.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"It's not like I'm Shaq for godssakes."

OK, Lurch. The ceiling in that thing is not very high, so the walls are sloping at an angle such that your sleeping bag will be scraping up against them. That is not lethal, but few backpackers want a tent that short. You could hang your head and shoulders out of the door.

–B.G.–

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

"OK, Lurch….You could hang your head and shoulders out of the door."

LOL. I'm pickin' up what you're putting down. Perhaps I should reconsider my purchase in light of this hilarious new information. If I decide against the Fly Creek it'll be the second time I've done so; the first time being because I heard the rain fly portion of the vestibule drips any water on the fly onto the mesh door when you open it, and that it's not a great tent for windy areas. Considering the former is one reason why I returned my first tent to REI, and the latter could well be another good reason since I roam around Texas frequently in windy areas, this may be a non-starter yet again.

But it's just so damn light! ARGH!!

*Sigh*

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Remind me not to get into any gear transactions here.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Could be worse…
    Head tent

David Ure

@familyguy

Alec, the fabric is breathable and uncoated, which is great for dusty areas and when acting as the first line of defence against heat robbing convection. You will not suffocate.

As far as your height, with your long bag you will touch either end of the FC 2. You will just fit without the bag. The problem is that when you lay down, your spine and feet relax, adding about 4". Add the slope of the rear wall of the tent and the usable length will be less than listed.

On the other hand, you won't die and can always sleep in the fetal position.

; )

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Being tall can be a curse. Over 6' tall puts you into a very small percentage of humans. Add a shoe size over 12 into that mix, now you're in rare company indeed. Nothing under 90" length for me thanks.

Zach Baker

@zwb0002

Locale: the plains

I also use a Synmat UL7 LW. I received a Fly Creek UL2 for Christmas, and have spent 2 nights in it with the Synmat. I'm about 6'1". I do fit without touching either end, but sleep on my side slightly curled up. Stretched out, my head lightly presses against the door if I want to keep my bag from touching the bottom. The height of the Synmat doesn't help with the sloping walls.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I have a cs ul1 which i believe is 90 inches long. With my exped down ul l/w pad, either my feet or my head will lightly brush the end if im lying straight out on my back. My bag definately touches the end. Not a problem for me though as i usually sleep on my side slightly fetal. Love everything else about that tent, especially how compact it gets when put away. Poles colapse to 16 inches which is great for things like bikepacking.

Edit, forgot im 6'2

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

The company-wide REI garage sale was today and I dragged my sorry keister up to the biggest store of our three (yes, three! serioiusly, Austin is ridiculous) and to my surprise they had a Fly Creek UL2. It was labelled with a "faulty zipper" which, upon inspection, simply had some teeth that were smooshed at the lower corner causing the bottom 2-way zipper to separate. With some fiddling I got it all straightened out and otherwise the tent is perfect.

So imagine my surprise when I was told as I was checking out "everything is half off for the next couple hours" and the total was just less than $65. Bargain! So yeah, even if I need to side sleep slightly fetal to fit (which I do anyways) I'll certainly $65 love it!

They had a Copper Spur UL2 that said "bent pole" and when I opened the bag and inspected the tent body it looked like a bear had shred the thing. Mesh windows completely blown out, lower nylon torn to pieces. What the hell do people do to these things they return (see the other thread I started lamenting this)?!

Anyhow, if it doesn't work for me I'll move it on to someone shorter for what I paid and then look at the Slater, or something else.

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

@Franco: Yeah. That's usually how I feel in a tent.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Franco, WHERE did you find that photo? Too right for this thread!

BTW, I'm halfway with my Scarp 2 "winterization" mods and having fun.

(Modding is a mental illness and will be listed as such in the next edition of "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders".)

(And posting hilarious photos is being considered a "borderline OCD" disorder.)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks Eric.
    I post a photo of the only expedition grade Head Tent available (note the 5 poles, 2 more than your Scarp) and you think it's funny.
    There is a summer version too but I can't post that because some may be offended.
    If I did it would look like this :Micro Tarp

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Alec: what a steal at the rei garage sale! I own the fly creek sl1 and have loved it over three years–except for the zippers. Now, I'm much shorter than you, so that's not an issue for me. But the zippers, both inner and fly, watch out, baby them, clean them, don't pressure them. Examine them at home and you'll probably see what I mean.

Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a couple of ounces for better zippers on this tent.

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

That BA Fly Creek Platinum 1 sounds neat. A 27 oz tent is nice. Anybody have any idea how that material holds up without a ground cloth? With the ground cloth, it's in the range of my Kilo 1p, 2 lbs.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I just bought the Fly Creek UL 2 Platinum and the floor feels like 30D silnylon–very thin and more slippery than the 'heavier' versions. I suspect I'll throw some GG polypro under it as a groundsheet for an oz just to add a layer of protection. The whole tent uses ultralight materials, which shouldn't be a surprise.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

"Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a couple of ounces for better zippers on this tent."

Jeff,
    Even the light coil zips rated around #3 vary quite a bit. The black YKK ones from Quest and other suppliers weight about an ounce per 8 feet and have a very fine coil. OK for the netting, but maybe not for the door in the outer shell which is more exposed to the elements. For the outer zips, there is a slightly heavier coil, at about 1.2 ounces per 8 feet, available from Warmlite, that is more durable.

So you may not have to add even as much as a couple ounces to get a sturdier zipper.
    For serious icing, there is a #3 Delrin tooth zipper I also obtained from Warmlite sometime ago.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

So.. anyone know when we'll be able to see the new " magnet" tents .. in person ? (other than " sometime in the spring of 2013 " )

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools