Topic

Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    R Petrelli

@rydia131

Does anyone know when Big Agnes will be releasing their Q-Core SL? Just looking for a date. Thanks!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I saw this at OR 2012, I swear there was a mummy version, that would shave some weight.

Still at 18 ounces for an r-value of 5 is pretty decent.

R Petrelli

@rydia131

KJ…saw the info on REI already. It doesnt have a release date on there that I saw. I just saw the option to backorder it.

I saw the mummy cut version on the SL also. It was in an article on BPL that they talked about having the two different versions, with the mummy weighing in at 14oz.

I just wanted to try and see if there was an exact release date yet for these pads. Or if that still has yet to be released.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

ho ho… Having laid on one of the Q-Cores after a week of high enjoyment with a BA aircore of some kind, I have have had my sights on one, ever since. The weight, which I'm willing to carry if need be, has been a justification to wait, however.

Now, I see an SL version and can only thank my lucky stars that the thing isn't available quite yet. There's time, there's time… but "Does anyone know when this will go on clearance?" :)

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I did not talk to them at the OR Show (somebody else had that meeting) but did see the pad. Yes it will come in a mummy shape, and I thought they were aiming at Feb, but am not sure.SL mummy

michael levi

@m-l

If the full length mummy weighs 14 oz and has an r-value if 5 then it's quite possibly going to be hands down the best pad on the market to date.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X-Therm in real world use.

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

My hiking buddy gave me his regular Q-Core and it is by far the best pad I have ever slept on.

Anyone know how it feels in comparison to the regular?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Any user comparison with the NeoAir? The NeoAir has been the most comfortable sleep for me with my shoulders and hips, how does the "Q" compare comfort wise? Of course I do better if I'm not cutting or handling firewood.
    Duane

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Does anyone know if it's a silent pad or a dorito-bag cracklin' neo-air bafflin' style pad? Man, 14oz and a r-value of 5, on top of what many have already stated as the most comfortable pad ever….my wallet quivers with fear in anticipation of the punishment I'm about to bestow upon it. The box quilting/tufting reminds me of my home mattress; this thing looks sweet!

michael levi

@m-l

It is probably not noisy, its a fabric not a plastic like the neoair/ xlites.

This pad will probably put the synmat ul7 out of business, similar construction, but the Big Agnes has reflective layers on the inside in addition to synthetic insulation.

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

Duane,
    I have both and for me as a side sleeper, the regular Q-core is MUCH more comfortable than the NeoAir. It's not even really a comparison. With the extra thickness, I can let some air out and still feel pretty lofted off the ground and the thicker edge does keep me more centered on the pad. Of course, you have the weight trade-off though, but more and more I find myself justifying carrying it for a better night's sleep.

I'm definitely going to checkout the SL. Looks like the best of both worlds.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Michael,
    It's not the fabric of the neoair that makes it noisy, it's the overzealous use of reflective baffling (and God bless each and every one of them and the extra r-value they pump out) that makes the neoair noise.

I can't really tell from the REI description if the BA pad will have a similar issue. The REI description states that the pad uses synthetic insulation and "Internal heat reflective polyurethane coating returns heat back to your body for additional warmth." It's that last part that stumps me…is that reflective baffling or just a reflective coating like we see on the thermarest z-rest/solite/ridgerest solar. I think, and hope it's the latter.

R Petrelli

@rydia131

Ok so I emailed BA this morning and received an email back concerning the release date. They said January 2013. No exact date of the release yet but they deffinatly said january. The release will be for the mummy and regular cut on the same day.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

I've only been on the grey, rectangular Q, but it was quiet and without any of that NeoAir crinkle. I'm fairly frugal and have a relatively new BA insulated that I scored on a clearance –it's great– but I can tell you the Q was so impressive at very little additional weight penalty that I began plotting… now to see an SL version that weighs the same as my long, mummy BA in a long rectangle? Oh yes.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

Any word about the packed size?
    Bulky, or not bulky?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Tom, if you chase that REI link, they have an embedded video with the packed-sized shown at the end.

Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

Folks, Thanks for all the good info on the Q Core SL. I have regular Q Core and love it. It's a bit heavy though. I had already ordered the SL version from REI and it was back ordered. Their website didn't have the mummy shape as an option. I just called REI and they said they weren't aware that the mummy shape would be an option. They recommended I cancel my current backorder. They also said they would contact BA
    to verify the mummy shape and make it an option on their website.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Thank you for the feedback Ryan. Here I'm trying to lighten my load some more, slowly, then you give me this info. I'm a side sleeper too, that was great info. Maybe with my dividend and REI Anniversary sale I can spring for a new mat.
    Duane

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

So finally after 4-5 yrs of using the heavy BAIAC, I pulled the trigger on an old school NeoAir that is fairly comfortable and weighs a scant 13.5oz. Now I see this thing and it's 3.5" of sleepy goodness, plus huge R-value and no crinkle noise. Only slightly heavier.
    Please someone get it and post back that it's garbage so I don't have to buy another pad.

Ryan

Ryan Dorn

@fiestabuckeye

Duane,
    I'm right with you. I'm relatively new to all this and I've been meticulously lightening my load. I finally reached the point where I was under 19 pounds with everything for a 3 day trip and then my friend gave me his Q-Core. In the grand scheme of things though, I'll gladly give up 4 ounces or so with the new SL for a better night's sleep which has always been my biggest issue in the woods.

Ryan,
    I'm anxiously waiting on reports for the new one as well. I'm dreading the wife's expression when I have to tell her I'm buying another $160 sleeping pad. Ugh. LOL.

R Petrelli

@rydia131

Hey it could be worse…im going to have to buy one for myself and my wife…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I am not sure if I trust the r5 rating. BA said the IAC had an r value of 4.1 but many people found it cold below 35-40*. I could use my Ridgerest (r 2.6) down into the teens but froze my but off with the IAC at 35*. I used an Exped Downmat 7 down to 0* and it was still beyond warm.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Great point Bradford! The BAIAC was indeed overrated. As a matter of fact, I've had poor luck with other synthetic insulated, long and unbaffled tube type mattresses. The POE Peak AC, which was suppose to be better on paper than the original neoair, was definitely overrated for me and left me cold even above freezing. I just can't imagine the synthetic insulation retaining its loft and insulating properties when it's repeated rolled and stored in a compressed state in our backpacks. Roger also explained how these designs with long unbaffled tubes (he refers to them as "air-core" mats) have inherent deficiencies, even when filled with synthetic insulation.

From: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54098

"The air in an air-core mat is free to circulate between the warm top surface and the cold bottom surface. The layer of insulation inside the top surface is meant to limit the circulation, but in many cases it is just too thin to do this well. Also, if you are a restless sleeper, you are going to 'pump' the air in the mat around. Clearly this is happening in your case."

It'd be interesting to see if this new mat has a means of trapping air and inhibiting circulation (maybe without the use of baffles) and how this new mat performs when a user moves about in his/her sleep.

Whew, everybody can calm down now! Those new xtherms you just bought are still okay…or are they??? :)

I'd wait and see after some brave soul takes these new pads out to 10 degree weather. Who's volunteering?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools