Topic

Best deal on a Montbell bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best deal on a Montbell bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

Hello everyone…
    I've decided that I can't live without a Montbell U.L.SS.Down Hugger #7 (800 fill). It will be a 3 season bag for use in the desert. The price directly from Montbell is $225.00. Before I pull the trigger on the purchase, does anyone out there know orf a better deal?

Thanks!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Chad:

We live in a society where newer and higher mean better… but comparing the specs:

SS No. 7 – 800fp – 4.5oz fill wt – 17oz total wt – 50F
    SS No. 7 – 725fp – 4.9oz fill wt – 17oz total wt – 50F

Apparently, the new MB uses a fraction less down — but not enough to make any perceptible difference in weight savings at all.

For me, and given the above, I would just click over to BackpackingGear.com and pay $176 for the 725fp model.

http://backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=MTB395

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Chad,
    I can get you a 1 lb #7 Alpine(zipperless) Regular (5'10") down super stretch for $100. Its 725 fill power. I have one and love it. New from the MB outlet in Yokohama.

Wearing your insulation layer to sleep, it should be fine for the desert..
    PM me if you are interested or want a pic.

If you really want the zipper, go for the 800 FP, you cant go wrong with MB.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

I definitely want a bag with a zipper. The Montbell site has a 800 fill U.L.SS.Down Hugger #7 for $225 OR a 725 fill U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #7 on clearance for $154.

Both bags weigh the same. Is the newer 800 fill bag worth the extra dough?

Brett .

@brett1234

Chad, I dont own any 800 FP bags, but I DO own an 800 FP Montbell down jacket, and I can not distinguish the difference in "fluffiness"(forgive the technical word) between 725 and 800.
    The weight and temp ratings are very similar on the older and newer #7s. Is 800FP worth an extra $75? Not to me, Part of the enjoyment of getting gear is getting great deals on last years stuff; makes me feel like I'm working the system to my advantage. I buy used, outlet, steepandcheap, etc. when ever I can.
    But if you really want a "Western Mountaineering Killer" bag, get the 800 for its bragging rights! : )

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Sumi Lavin

@jose

Try Wildernest in Port Townsend, Washington.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

David — a quick note that the Burrow No. 7 you linked above is synthetic fill.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I'm going for the Montbell bag because my Marmot Atom was a little too snug. I think the "Stretchiness" of the Montbell will be a little less claustrophobic. I actually gave the Atom to a buddy for his birthday yesterday….you should have seen his face….it was classic.

The only decision I have at this point is whether to get the #7 (50 degrees) or the #5 (40 degrees). The #5 is only an ounce heavier and will give me a wider temp range for using the bag. Am I sound in my thinking on this one?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

How well do the Montbell super stretch bags work in warmer weather? For example, would a #3 (30 deg) bag work OK in 50 degree temps or would it become too hot? Do they work OK opened up like a quilt?

I'm looking at getting a bag for my wife/kid. They would only camp with me in warmer temps. I might also want to try the bag myself in colder temps.

Thanks!

Dan

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Chad:

I think much depends on (1) where you tend to camp and (2) what bags (if any) you have already. As noted, I like the idea of owning two bags — one three-season and one summer bag — with the two used together as a winter bag of sorts.

If you tend to hike higher up where even summer nights are cool, then using a No. 5 or even a No. 3 as your summer bag makes sense. Conversely, if you camp at lower levels — say hiking or canoeing in the South, etc. — then a No. 7 might be a better choice.

If you notice, the regular prices of 725fp and 800fp differ very little. This make sense to me because the perceptible differences between the two are exceedingly small. So now is actually a terrific time to pick up a couple of 725fp bags.

Daniel:

MontBell bags can be unzipped almost all the way. Picture one like a "quilt with a footbox".

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Hi Ben,

My current colder weather bag is an REI Sub Kilo – 20 degree bag, which I love.

The summer bag will be used for spring / fall trips in the Grand Canyon mostly, but we're also looking at hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail this summer as well.

I'm very happy that the Montbell has a full zipper. More than likely, I'll use it like a quilt unless it gets nippy enough to zip her on up.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I see. Well, you shouldn't need any kind of liner with your Sub Kilo! :)

My understanding is that both North and South rims of the Grand Canyon have cool to pleasant summer nighttime temperatures. Lake Tahoe area doesn't get too hot at night either. I think I would go with No. 5

I see the No. 7 as more specialized for true summer nights. As well, it's better to be a little too warm (you can always kick away the covers) than too cold. YMMV.

Brett .

@brett1234

Daniel, a #3 is overkill for 50F as you know from the rating, but if you want one three season bag, that would be a good choice. You can open it almost all the way, so you can dial in the insulation factor. Its a good idea for the occupant to wear some layer, silk-1 or capilene-1, to keep the bag clean, so the bag would probably be almost open at 50F. I used my #7 at 50F, and left it fully unzipped.

douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

The difference between MB's '06 and '07 sleeping bags is not just the slightly higher fill power of the down. The also switched to a slightly different shell fabric which is sopposed to be more breathable. Weather it's as water resistant remains to be seen. I have an older MB #3 SS without the zipper and the shell is not all that breathable. No matter what the weather wearing anything damp to bed results in a damp area on the shell in the morning.

BTW, The Wildernest in Port Townsend currently has all of there sleeping bags on 30% off including quite a few from MB. Check them out at wildernestoutdoorstore.com. You can't order online, but if you give them a call I'm sure they'd be happy to ship you whatever.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

I did it. Just ordered a brand-spanking new Montbell U.L.SS.Down Hugger #5. I went with the #5 over the #7 for the extra 10 degrees and the fact that my eyes glazed over looking at that that bright blue color…..ahhhh, I can just picture it in my BA Seedhouse SL1. Life is good!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Great! Another victim bagged… erh, I mean happy customer! Did you get the 725 or the 800?

BTW, excellent tent choice! (I too own a BA tent — the Seedhouse SL2.)

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I just ordered a #2 based on your sales job.

Just what I need is another sleeping bag, I currently own 3 down bags, 1 Primaloft Sport bag, 2 Polarguard Delta bags, and 2 Primaloft One bags. They overlap the temperature range gamut from -30 to 50F.

I am not going to buy a MB pad based on your most recent recommendation… not that the thought didn't cross my mind (smile).

Brett .

@brett1234

MhuHaHaHa..! (best Dr. Evil laughter)..
    All is going according to plan.
    One MB was not enough, and now I own three.. all bought carefully on discount.

Chad, Richard, Congratulations, both of you, on a wise purchase. When you slide into the silky tafetta-like puffiness of your new stretchable Montbell feather-pile, your thoughts will soon stray to what it would be like to have the toggle-joined pillow+mat+pad.. at 490grams total the lightest full-length combo, and how that will pair with the 60 gram 1/8" Thinlite, for the lightest open/closed cell combo in the world..

Try not to think about it..

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

I'm already thinking about it! As soon as Montbell has the pillow available again, I'm ordering it and a pad. Ahhhh, I love new gear. I'll just have to find a way to explain to my wife why it is that I need three sleeping pads.

Oh, and I went with the 800 fill.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

I just received the MB #3 the other day. It sure will go good in my Tarptent Contrail. BTW.. MontBell told me that on their new bags, the zipper has been refined as not to snag in the material. I hate that when it happens about 2:00 in the A.M.

Brett .

@brett1234

Guys, the best thing about the Montbell pillow is the toggles holding it securely to your pad. If you have the toggled pad, you can attach toggles to any inflatable pillow until you get the real one.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Brett, how does the pad compare with the Thermarest Prolite 3 in terms of comfort? Where can I get a Montbell pillow/pad setup?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools