Topic

Often-overlooked shelter makers (and models)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Often-overlooked shelter makers (and models)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I've been looking at trying something new, probably a shaped tarp or a tarp-tent and I'm wondering if I'm missing any awesome options. I have a lot of experience using a flat tarp, hammock and traditional tents but I'm looking to try something new for next year. I'm also looking for a new flat tarp, because mine is heavy.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but I'm willing to if something really cool comes up. Bonus points if the shelter can hold more than one.

So far I've looked at (but haven't necessarily ruled out):

Black Diamond
    GoLite
    Granite Gear
    LightHeart Gear
    Mountain Laurel Designs
    MSR
    Nemo
    Oware
    Six Moon Designs
    Tarptent
    Zpacks

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I'd just like to throw this out there, Zpacks has been a pleasure to deal with.

If you are looking for coverage for two people, the solo-plus with taped seams and guylines weigh in at 5.1 ounces. Cost is comparable to some silnylon at $215. Best of all it sets up with one trekking pole.

I am currently looking for something along these lines, however i'd like a seperate innernet. I have been looking into BearPawWD for this, I like the options for sizing (1, 1.5 and 2 person) What is also intresting is the ability to add side walls (cuben or 10D) to help block wind and weather.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Yama Mountain Gear deserves more play on this forum.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

+1 on Yama Mountain Gear. There tarps and bug shelters are high quality stuff and at a reasonable cost.

Yama (2.0) Bug Shelter 15.5oz Lake Vernon, Yosemite

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

My Trekker weighs 23.5 oz in the stuff sack after seam sealing. It does not get the nods the Zpacks and MLD shelters get, but it is an excellent solo shelter. The Cuben X model has excellent reviews from John Abela, but for the money to weight the Trekker and Scout can really not be beat.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have dealt with Gen on a couple of things. Great guy and great products.

I suspect when his cuben hybrid single wall shelter becomes available in early 2013 we may hear more buzz. 1 plus for 17 oz.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

locus gear

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I have owned a couple of tents that Judy made at Lightheart Gear, and I couldn't be happier with her quality and service. Solong6 is an amazing tent for the weight and money.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Oware

Trevor S

@zetroe

Borah gear. I have one of their bivys and I love it, they have well priced tarps too.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

The Trailstar has gotten me intrigued, even though it is a pretty well-known model. I like the flexibility but the ease of pitch of the shaped tarp…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just ordered my 3rd Tarptent moments ago. A great company.

I first had a Contrail for 3 years.

Sold the Contrail for a Moment, wich I modded and still have. Love it.

Ordered a Scarp 2 W/"solid" interior and crossing poles. It's mainly for winter and car camping. Can't wait for the modding to begin!

David Ure

@familyguy

Sweet Lord – read the original post.

Tarptent products are hardly "often-overlooked."

But I understand your excitement.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools