Topic

5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 5th Annual Bay Area G.G.G. aka GGG 5.0 1/25-27, 2013 Henry W Coe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 199 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Edit: Post updated Jan. 22nd

To the BPL family.

Please welcome in 2013 by attending the 5th annual GGG. January 25-27th at Henry W. Coe State Park in Morgan Hill, CA.

Manzanita Point Group Spot #5 is where you will find the big blue and white courtesy tent and camping info. We have group spot

4 also, That one has Oaks for shade and hammocks. Two new bathrooms too. Around 3.2 mile easy hike/ride in. There will be

some organized events again this year along with some special presentations. Another big crowd this year.

We will have more room to spread out.

We will have support vehicles like last year. This allows us to haul in firewood, water, supplies to camp.

Better signage this time. So look for signs.

Let me know if you plan to bike in and have a trailer. You could be useful. Anyone? Brompton?

As always your financial support to cover costs is greatly appreciated/needed. kenthompson2(at)mac.com is my Paypal address.
    I'm asking $15 each this time around.
    If you are going to pay me in camp, please try to not need change. I'll have some, but people love their 20s.

Be nice to Ranger Jen Nabor, and all the volunteers. They have been good to us.

How it works:

The group spots are dry, no water. No problem, We will haul in plenty of water for everyone. We are also able to shuttle food, equipment, firewood and a few people even to the group spot by vehicle(weather permitting). If you are in need of having stuff hauled in please follow these steps. By mid afternoon Friday, Saturday morning. We have to go in before the staff goes home/before dark. Drive to campsite 19 at the HQ campground and drop off your stuff. Buy your parking permit($8per day/night, try not to need change, checks OK) at the HQ and go park in the overflow lot down the hill a bit from the HQ. Then hike to camp and be reunited with your stuff.

***** Arriving after hours/dark?

Permits at iron ranger across from the visitor center. If overflow lot gate is closed and looks locked, it is not. Just lift off the chain, pull in and close the gate behind you.*****

The park does not allow us to make multiple trips back and forth to haul stuff in. We need to do one big load ideally. Any thing else can be hauled in by bicycle trailer as well. I will get one vehicle in on Saturday.

If you have been contacted about a parking permit they will be waiting for you at park HQ.

Not sure how to get there? Look here.

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/planning-your-visit/visitor-centers-and-park-entrances/visitor-center

HQ address is 9100 E Dunne Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037

http://coepark.net/pineridgeassociation/documents/maps/western_zone/hq_hiking_map.pdf

What about the weather?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:95037.1.99999

If you are thinking about the car camping spots by the park HQ, say for Thurs. night they are $20 a night, one vehicle.

I have reserved spot 19. This spot has good parking nearby so you can drop off what you want shuttled to camp.

Questions? Ask away…

If all goes well Cameron may have some home brew.

Live Gearswap. Sell a little, buy a little.
    Too many seemed to miss out on the swap in the lot last time. I figure if we do it Saturday in camp, how could you miss it? With some vehicles for support it should not be much of a burden. Any other suggestions?

Amy L. and Jim will be there too giving a talk about the birds of Coe.

Geocacheing with Manfred

More cottage manufacturers this time too.

Grant and crew, Gossamer Gear
    Ron Moak, Six Moon Designs And he's got a surprise!
    Kat P., Mountaingoat Hats and Goods Kat will do another nature hike.
    Jack Elliot, Borah Gear
    The Trail Designs Crew
    D. Gardner, G.O.L.D.
    +more

Burn off is back this time. Bring your wood stove. I'll supply the "official competition grade wood" for the contest. It's dry, and it is wood. No more info until contest time.

Hikin Jim will be back with more pyrotechnics

Andrew Johnson, Gaia app developer will be there to do a demo.

Gonna be a good one!

With families now coming just a few words on behavior.

The following I'm just putting out there. There have been no issues…

A note to drinkers: Know your limit and don't get annoying.

A note to pot smokers: Be a little discreet would you? Not everyone does or want to see you doing. No pulling bongs out in the
    middle of a group like it is legal. Not everyone has a 215 either I bet. Just be cool OK?

If you make a bad guest you will be ejected. NO BS. Everyone is there for a good time, Don't be a downer.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Doug,

If Tony pays the $15.00 you can bunk with me, no pit toilet here. Seriously though, if you come out it's going to be a blast, you're always great company and loads of laughter. I'll be bringing some gear from Borahgear.com so everyone can check out our product. Tarps, bivys, and a few smaller items, and maybe a backpack if I can get it here in time. I'm thinking of bringing my MYOG oven again if any body wants to try thier hand at baking biscuits for biscuits and gravy in the morning, muffins, or browines. Should be fun, it works best with charcoal. If anyone wants to bring extra charcoal to bake with, that would be great, 1 charcoal equals approx. 37* so 10 would equal 370* just to give people an idea.

Edited to clean it up a bit, didn't want people getting the wrong idea. LOL

See everyone soon, Jack

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I'm going to try attend this one pending vacation time, etc. I'll paypal the funds once I know for sure that I am able to join the festivities. I hope you guys don't mind a n00b joining in :)

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Mangus,

Thanks for letting us know that you plan on attending.

Everyone is welcome to come…in fact, we encourage new people to come!

The great thing about the GGG is that we all have a built in ice breaker…love of the outdoors and gear!

You will fit in perfectly fine with the rest of the gear geeks. :)

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Tony is correct. Noobs and lurkers are welcome as well. Had quite a number of lurkers come out of hiding in Feb. Very fun.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

Ken–What would be good amount for each of us to contribute to cover the costs? Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Oops Doug. Missed that. $15

I've edited the first post.

Thanks.

kevin smith

@divr6347

You might have to sleep next to the pit toilet, but I will pay for you."

well figure it this way doug it has to be better than sleeping anywhere near jack and his self proclaimed (i don t snore that loud ) statement did he mention anything about providing EARPLUGS to all who are interrested lol

kevin

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Those new pit toilets sure are nice for what they are. We won't be using that old long drop this time around.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I just sent you a payment Ken. Looking forward to GGG 5.0!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Remember everyone is welcome. One week closer. Thanks to all who have paid so far, helps a lot.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Don't miss out. Come just for the day if you wish. I know there are tons of you out there. Here is your chance to meet those internet personalities in the flesh.

Help to promote this event. Tell your friends. Spread the word.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

And check out the BPL member map to see just a fraction of who's out there near you. Carpool if you can. We'll use the overflow lot again.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

nm

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Over 100 Geocaching sites in the park. Just sayin'

The hub of the group camping area is group spot #5 New pit toilets on either side, plenty of room.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Ken,

thanks so much for organizing the event again!

Michelle and I will bring this time our four daughters (ages 9 to 14). We would be open to organize an activity for children if others bring their kids too. We could for example set a geocaching course with special geocaches where the kids would be allowed to keep their finds. That would make for a fun hike for the kids. We have 6 GPS receivers we could bring to lend to kids. Do you have any idea how many kids will come? Would there be budget to buy little prizes to fill the caches?

Best Regards,

Manfred

P.S.: I sent you $90 via PayPal for our family.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I plan on actually making it this year and am inclined to camp on Thursday night since it's so close, but I am also interested in carpooling, if anyone is interested, out of San Francisco. Subaru wagon, plenty of room.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sounds like fun Manfred. Sure we can round up some treasures for the caches. If you have some ideas on what that should be I'd appreciate that. Kid wise. Another 6 at least on top of yours.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Ken,

When we organize geocaching treasure hunts for youth (boys scouts, girls scouts) we usually get prizes from the dollar store that are somehow useful for the rest of the event like flashlights, compasses, glow sticks, carabiners, etc. Let me know if you want me to get the prizes.

Manfred

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'm on it Manfred. Thanks again.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Getting closer all the time. If you are coming or at least plan to come, please chime in.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Ken,

I'm planning on being there. Most likely with a +1. I'll let you know my final count closer to the event.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I look forward to seeing you again Eric.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Carpool and come on up. I'm driving 7 hours south. You could head north, meet in the middle at Henry Coe.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Should be a blast again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 199 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools