Topic

Big Dig mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Dig mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Since I just took a photo of this and sent it to Rob Kelly, I thought I'd post it here as well.

We have a fair bit of hard clay soil in this area, and of course lots of tough roots everywhere. The thin ti of the Big Dig cuts through all that pretty well, but sometimes that same thin ti on the back of the handle wants to make a nasty little cut on the palm of your hand.

Enter Sugru, a moldable silicone putty! It comes in a little packette, and is moldable for a short but reasonable amount of time. Then it sets up and is permanent. It can still be cut or trimmed with a sharp knife, just like regular silicone, even when set.

I made a short string of Sugru, put it on the end of the handle, and flattened it just a bit. Not the most professional job, but it has held up quite well since early summer.

Total weight now it 18 g. Can't remember the original weight, but it's still darn light!

Big dig with Sugro

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Thank you Stephen!

I'm gonna give that a try … maybe extend a smaller bead doen each side of the handle too.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Where can I find Sugru?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Where can I find Sugru?

Just order some!

I did not find brick&mortar retail outlets (doesn't mean there aren't any)

Can be ordered from (also through) Amazon.com but after figuring shipping the best cost for the quantity 3×5 gram package was from ordering thru sugru.com … might have best price for the 5x8gram package also but I did not check that.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

@ Jim: "I'm gonna give that a try … maybe extend a smaller bead down each side of the handle too."

That's actually what I did first, but after using it a bit, I decided it didn't really add any functionality, so I cut the sides off….which is when I discovered that it's very easy to cut the silicone off!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Steven-

I like the idea of the silicone on the end! Always wanted to play around with that stuff.

Here was how I modified my Big Dig. A good length of ZPacks 1.25mm Z-Line Spectra Cord. Serves as a handle and a holder of spare Spectra line if needed for anything. Comes in at 20g.

Love that the Big Dig cuts through roots easier than anything else I've ever used!

Big Dig

KJ

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Nice! A little easier on the hands at the sides of the handle, plus some emergency cordage!

Great idea!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

wrapping handle momentarily with bandana is too complicated?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

One could wrap auto door edge trim or similar around the handle edge and then wrap it with para cord as shown or even use TripTease guy line cord to hold it on.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Put more Plasti-dip on it.

http://www.plastidip.com/

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

MB

I don't carry a bandana. Just a few small Lightoad towels, and they would definitely wind up with cuts in them.

Plus, I don't want anything I'm wiping down my shelter interior or cook pot with to be around me or in my hands when taking care of and covering up "business".

KJ

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

I prefer not to add anything to the item when I may already have gear that can be dual purposed, since they're already being transported. Super light, strong thin cord that can be used to replace a guy line, medical, equipment repair, etc., now also becomes a really grippy trowel handle.

Great ideas all around! …I'm just keepin' it frugal.

KJ

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

@ ALL

Lots of great ideas here. I had heard of, and seen pictures of, cord wraps and tape wraps, but never Sugru before Stephen put me on to it. I'm going to get some and play with it, but it may add more weight than I (or you) want. An option not mentioned is to put a little piece of duct tape, Leukotape, or your personal favorite on the handle end.

However, I'm always interested in improving my designs. Ken's idea of more plasti-dip was worth trying, but just for the very end of the handle (so as not to add weight), and I like the results. See the photos. As of today, all trowels I ship will have this "handle-end enhancement" treatment. Added weight is negligible. The average Big Dig even with this beefed up handle end still weighs just 16 grams. Can you dig it?

handle end 1

handle end 2

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I figured you were using it already. Just use some more. Thanks Robert.

Brandon Vidrine

@bvidrine82

NM, found it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools