Topic

MLD Newt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals MLD Newt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

From the MLD Facebook site:

"In one week we will have up on the site a limited run of Christmas Gift NEWT packs. It will not have an external pocket – $60. A simple pack for simple needs. About 8 oz. More info TBA."

Ron Bell

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sweet!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Posted on the MLD Facebook site!!!!

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=198

In Stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain Laurel Designs
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com
    2013 NEWT Ultra Simple Day / Overnight / Weekend or Summit Pack 6 oz / 175gms 1700 ci / 28L Approx. External Dimensions 11" X 6" X 26" One Size Torso- Fits 5'5" to 6'2" FEATURES: • All Dyneema X (TM) Construction: 210d

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I wouldnt mind having one, does anyone know how much Ron would charge for 2 water bottle pockets and/ or a rear pocket all made of Dyneema?

michael levi

@m-l

Also hipbelt… actually at that point I might as well just get a Burn.

I guess I'll just have to take this pack for what its worth, a minimalist.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi,

I have first generation Newt and love the pack so much. It's clean and simple
    without side/front mesh pockets. I added one shoulder strap pocket made by Chris at Zimmerbuilt and I carry waterbottle on another shoulder strap. No need for anything else IMHO! The bungee cord at the front is good to hold your windshirt or half of a Ridgerest. Oh yeah and it's full out dyneema so very good for any off trail bush walking or light scrambling. I highly recommend it!

Cheers!

MLD Newt

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

"Wow…first run all sold out, we will build more in a few weeks. THANKS"

From Ron as posted on the MLD Facebook site.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

How do these compare to the Golite Ion? It looks a little bigger…Durability?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Hi Kevin,

they are about the same volume (Newt to Ion in size L). I am happy to have both as they are both sweet packs. Newt does have more padded shoulder straps to Ion and different closure system (zip closure on Ion vs. snap and roll top closure on my version of Newt). They are both made from dyneema so comparable in durability and about the same weight. To me both are clean looking packs and bungee on Newt's front does add a bit more versatility to it.Have been using both for some time now and there's no wear or tear on them. At first i did find closure system on Newt more fiddly to Ion's simple zip closure but once you get used to it it's realy easy. As I can see on new Newt the closure system has been changed to drybag closure system so should be easy to close and open. There's no hipbelt on Newt but with light loads they are made for you will not miss one:).

Regards,
    Velimir

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Is there a good way to strap a 2 pound tent to the outside of a Newt?

michael levi

@m-l

Does anyone know where the best spot to add a hipbelt to this pack? Where should one add one?

I like one more for stability when running, not so much to take the load off the shoulders.

Also, any recent pics of this pack?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools