Topic

OookWorks or MLD for Duomid Inner?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OookWorks or MLD for Duomid Inner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Are S
    BPL Member

@hikingmano

***Edited to add:
    I just placed my order with Ron for the CF Duomid and Sil Solo InnerNet, so the following questions are now academic or more for future reference at this point. I wanted to go all US purchase this time, and I want to use the complete MLD system first. If there are things that don't work out so well for me with the Solo InnerNet, I can always try out the OookNest Nano later. I did ask about the possibility of having a two-sided inverted T zipper put on the InnerNet though, will update if MLD can do it for me.

I'm trying to decide between the silnylon MLD Solo InnerNet and the OookNest Nano for my CF Duomid, and I'd greatly appreciate any input from Mid with Inner users, particularly those of you who have had experience with both.

A few questions to help things along:

1) Does the OookNest Nano utilize the Duomid's inner space better than the Solo InnerNet? Anyone have any issues with the OookNest touching the tarp?

2) I'm 5'10", will the netting in the Solo InnerNet contact my face when lying down? Do the vertical struts of the OookNest bathtub corners make a huge difference in use? I'm guessing for inflatable use, the extra vertical space in the inner would be welcome.

3) Can anyone outline for me the pros and cons of the floor materials offered by OookWorks? I'm pretty sure I want an all mesh upper, but I don't know enough yet to pick a floor material if I went with the OookNest. And on that topic, do folks find a fabric middle section between the bathtub floor and mesh top to be a worthwhile sacrifice of ventilation and "openness" for more draft or splash protection?

4) Is one easier to pitch than the other (with and without the tarp)? Ideally, I'd like to leave the inner attached for quick set-up, but I'm also interested in ease of pitching the inner independently for nights without rain or strong wind.

5) With either inner (considering all material options for OookNest), should I be using something like GG Polycryo as protection for the floor? I'm in the Bay Area and like to visit the Sierra Nevada when I can, so I'll most often encounter grass, leaf litter, dirt, and sometimes granite or pebbly Sierra ground. I try to avoid hard packed pebbly ground and clear my site of poky stuff before setting up…but there's always a possibility of missing stuff or not getting an ideal site. If Polycryo or similar is overkill, I'd rather leave it home. Previously I used a TT Moment with a Tyvek groundsheet, never worried too much with the Tyvek.

I think that's all I can remember to ask about at the moment, and of course, any other input/advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, I also like the T zipper of the OookNest; I don't like being limited in head orientation by a one-sided entry. I usually like to sit in butt-first and pivot my legs in easily. Do you think Ron would add this for me if I decided on getting the Solo InnerNet?

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Locale: Australia

I am also considering between the OookWorks and the MLD inner?

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have the oookworks tub floor (solo) and door for my trailstar. They are very well made, light and functional. I think you'll be good with either. For a winter inner, I would look to OookWorks. But for a simple inner net, I think MLD has the most straightforward option at the most reasonable price. Good luck. Two Co.'s you can go wrong with. Now I gotta go and get a duo mid.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I have the oookworks tub floor (solo) and door for my trailstar. They are very well made, light and functional. I think you'll be good with either for a solid winter inner, I would look to OookWorks. But for a simple inner net, I think MLD has the most straightforward option at the most reasonable price. Good luck. Two Co.'s you can go wrong with. Now I gotta go and get a duo mid.

Are S
    BPL Member

@hikingmano

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up the OookWorks later, to try out the partial mesh walls. Might offer a little more privacy for changing, and may block more drafts.

I can't stop looking at the Trailstar lately. I think I'll end up picking one up as a shelter option later. I like the simplicity of it quite a bit, but I wanted to go DuoMid first.

Not to drift too much, but how do you like the Trailstar for muddy bay area winter use?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You're in the Bay Area. Come to the GGG next month at Henry Coe and see both MLD products in the flesh.

Are S
    BPL Member

@hikingmano

Sounds good; if I can make it, I will. I'm guessing there's a thread somewhere with event info? I'll look for it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools