Topic

Thru-Hike or Packraft?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I will be finishing a Master's degree in May of 2014. As a celebration, my wife has agreed to let me do a long trail such as the JMT, SHR, or something similar, probably in the Sierra.

Then I was thinking the other day, what if I got a packraft instead?

Now I don't know what to do: Take a great trip that I won't have the chance to repeat for many years (especially if kids start coming our way in a few years) or have an exciting tool for exploring the wilderness closer to home?

Help me decide.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

For me, as a professional with two small girls, money is easier to find than time. I have a packraft which I love, but lack the time to spend more than 5-6 days out on a trip. If I were you, I'd go with the experience over the gear. The SHR would be a trip to remember. Of course, money and time are not mutually exclusive. Maybe yu could buy a packraft and spend two weeks exploring with it.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I agree with Ike, time MIGHT be more valuable then money right now. As long as you are sure a thru-hike is something you really want to do I'd say do it now and save up for a packraft later. Here would be my one concern. I'm told by some married guys that really long hikes aren't fun after a certain point because they want to be back with the family. I'd still lean towards a thru-hike but its something I'd think about.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would take the trip. Free time for a long hike is a chance that does not present itself readily. Plenty of rafting to be done on weekend trips.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> As a celebration, my wife has agreed to let me do a long trail such as the JMT, SHR,
    > or something similar, probably in the Sierra.

A really really smart guy would ask his wife to come on the trip. Even if it means going a bit slower or something.

Cheers

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Go for the thru-hike.

Time is a harder commodity to get as the years go on. You'll have money to buy the toys later. Trust me…

As for bringing the wife, only if she is into backpacking for long periods of time.

Not everyone wants to do that. :D (If you wife does not want to go on a long hike, though, maybe she can meet you along the way? Be a way to involve her in the journey)

The SHR would be my preference over the JMT for whatever it is worth, but only if you have good navigational skills and/or you want the challenge. Sometimes it is just nice to simply walk and enjoy the scenery.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I think you'd love either the JMT or SHR but if you want to do something closer to home why not do a big loop through the Bob Marshell Wilderness or the Yellowstone Ecosystem? Maybe for a special trip you'd rather go someplace different but I've always wanted to do those trips.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

+1 JMT Thru-Hike

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

But only do the shr if you have quite a bit of hiking experience. The JMT would be more fun if you haven't spent a lot of time in the Sierra or had a good bit of experience. But whichever, do the hike.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Thruhike. Definitely.

Everyone will be packayaking in a few years anyways.

*Congratulations on your achievements and hard work.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Quite the consensus. Thanks guys. It sounds like a thru-hike is the best idea. I have a tendency to focus on things, and I've been working to be more grateful and less materialistic, so it's spiritually better on that front too.

Roger and Paul–The wife does indeed enjoy hiking, but she's not much interested in a week and a half or more on the trail. I do like the idea of having her join me for a stretch, if we can work out the logistics. Fortunately, I should have the time since I teach high school and we have that nice summer break.

I plan on doing quite a bit of training in my backyard (Glacier and the Bob) this upcoming season, going off-trail frequently to work on navigation skills. The SHR is my first choice for the challenge and the smaller crowds.

Luke–if you want to join me for a big loop in the Bob or the Greater Yellowstone this upcoming summer, let me know. I hope to do a few of them.

Jay–your pictures are very persuasive.

Eugene–Thanks. It's my second Master's, and not a degree I wanted, but the-powers-that-be determined that I needed. Unfortunately for my program, the hiking is more of a reward than the learning itself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools