Topic

MYOG pack advice/help please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG pack advice/help please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a small 20-30 liter pack for myself. I intend to use it mostly as a daypack, or an overnight pack if it turns out bigger than expected. Everything is coming along fairly well so far. I'm not using any patterns, but I'm loosely basing the design from some of Zimmer's packs.

What I need is some guidance on forming the bottom of the pack. I've got the back, sides, and front panel all finished. However, I'm not exactly sure how to form the box like shape for the bottom.

Here is what I'd like to end up with for the bottom.
    a8jj23o4ihe

Thanks!!

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

it ought to be constructed much like a bathtub floor.

take a rectangle of fabric that is the size of your base, plus the size of those side walls (4"?) plus seam allowance.

draw a 4" (or whatever side height you chose, plus seam allowance) square in each corner. fold each corner right side to right side, bisecting the 90deg angle of the corner, and sew along the two sides of the square which will now be lined up.

trim off the triangle of extra fabric, leaving seam allowance. fold over twice, sew through.

repeat for all four corners.

then sew this onto the already assembled tube that forms the upper portion of the pack. use the seam of your choice, i would choose flat-felled. make sure the seams on the bathtub bottom end up on the inside of your pack

think carefully about lower shoulder strap webbing attachment. ditto with hipbelt. both could be sewn into vertical seams of bathtub, if dimensions work.

Adie

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Shoot me an email with your pack dimensions and I can draw you something up.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Thanks Adie,

I've done a bathtub floor before, so that makes perfect sense. I'm a little leary on attaching the completed bottom to the rest of the pack. I assume this would be done easiest with everything turned inside out.

Chris,

I appreciate your offering to put something together for me. I will get those dimensions over to you here in a few.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Is the rest of the pack sewn together already? If it is not, then you can sew the main panels to their corresponding bottom panels, then make the vertical seam continuous.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

No I havent sewn any of the pieces together yet. When I started to look at piecing it all together I hit a mental block. I just couldn't see how it all came together. I've got a little more understanding of it all now. Hopefully I can get it together without ripping too many seams.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The bottom will be shaped like the top of a cross. The top will be for the center panel. The sides for the sides. Just attach the sides to the side panels of the cross (I'd use a flat felled seam). Connect the front to the top of the cross. Then sew it together like you would without the bottom.

Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

search for "kringle pack" there is a whole tutorial which will answer your questions.
    Steve

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Thanks everyone,

I'm back on track now. Just waiting for my spacer mesh to come in to finish the shoulder straps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools